1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Camcorders With True 16:9?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Kevo, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Do any of the current DV camcorders offer true 16:9 WS?

I was in the market about a year ago but was dissapointed that there were none. This put me off.

Has anything changed a year on?

If 16:9 is going to be 'the standard' aspect ratio then I expect the camcorder I buy to do likewise.

2. gmm

gmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't believe there are any true 16:9 digital camcorders on the market at the mo, maybe some very expensive ones.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I need a video camera as my HVC4000P is knackered and it is only 20 years old!

Anamorphic Widescreen is a must and I will buy one when I find one!

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This article may help a bit:

http://www.farnfilm.com/widescreen.html

Incidentally, the camcorders he mentions that can do true 16:9 widescreen are in the £6K + price bracket!

Many consumer level camcorders do offer widescreen or cinema modes that create either a letterbox or an anamorphic picture - my JVC DVP7 can do either. These modes are good fun to mess around with and the picture quality isn't that bad BUT at the end of the day it's a 4:3 image cropped top and bottom to produce a 16:9 image - you're not getting a wider picture at all you are just losing footage from the top and bottom - in short, you are getting less not more.

One other issue, of course, is that if you do manage to record in anamorphic widescreen (using a true 16:9 camera, a lens attachment, or a cinema mode on a cheaper camcorder) then that recording's only going to be any use shown on a widescreen TV i.e. if you copy a recording to tape and lend it to someone else then they would need a widescreen TV to see it in the correct aspect ratio.

Matt.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone I would ever lend a tape to would have a WS TV!

My dad has a Hi8 with Anamorphic and the picture looks fine - just not up to DTTV/DVD standard.

But better than Squash & Stretch or small picture in middle.

L/B ok
    P/B not great!

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes but, assuming this is just a "widescreen/cinema" mode on your dad's camera, the picture he records is no wider than it would be if he recorded in 4:3 - basically the top and bottom of the picture are cropped and then some digital processing changes what's left into anamorphic.

As I said, the results from my JVC are a lot better than I was led to believe when recording in anamorphic mode but the bottom line is that the quality is still inferior to the 4:3 mode and I am losing the top and the bottom part of the frame whilst gaining nothing in width i.e. it isn't widescreen - it's a cropped 4:3 image presented in anamorphic mode. Leave the camera in 4:3 and you'll get a better quality image and you won't lose anything from the top and bottom of the frame - what you do get, of course, is black bars at the each side when viewed on a widescreen TV.

The only way to get proper widescreen (i.e. a wider picture than you can capture on a 4:3 camcorder) is:

1. Spend £6K plus on a genuine 16:9 camcorder.
    2. Use an anamorphic lens attachment on a 4:3 camcorder.

Matt.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It may letter box on the chip but it still looks better than 4x3 on a widescreen TV.

The recording is W/S enough - viewfinder shows vertically stretched people

So what DV cams have this facillity?