1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV camcorder to CDR

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ketank, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys!!!! i'm a newbie here, gr8t forum!!!! :thumbsup:

This is my problem, i have got a panasonic gs11 camcoder and throught firewire i edit movies on my pc using Windows Movie maker 1, i saved the movie in .wvm/wmv(somthing like that) on 756Kps than i made a SVCD through nero and i played it on my yamada dvd player and the quailty was POOR...

I'm totaly new to this...... how can i improve this????, Im i doing it the wrong way????

I thought of doing the same agin but maybe saving the movie in a 2megKps??????

I have a P4 1.8g & 40g hdd 512ram, so i'm i limited to software or quality??

Please help!!!!!my family depending on me to distribute family moments on cdr..

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Buy a DVD writer and create an MPEG2 DVD

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    last week I would of said to you go immediately to the Microsoft website and download the free copy of moviemaker 2 which is a vast improvement over version 1 - BUT - I understand that now you can only get MMM2 if you download and install XP SP2 as well - not necessarily a good option.

A search around the web might find you an alternative source of MMM2 and you should then go to www.papajohn.org to sort out your problems with it.

I would suggest you have a look around for a better editing suite - for a beginner I would suggest you go to www.ulead.co.uk and download a free trial of Ulead VideoStudio 8. gives you options to 'tweak' your output for best results.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Echo Martin

Home movies can be tedious enough, but in on VCD or SVCD :eek:

Forget CDR, you'll end up (already have!) with quality worse than VHS, i.e VCDs!

Ddo yourself and your family a BIG favour and get a DVD Writer.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Buy the latest Pioneer and use www.svp.co.uk for blank discs

6. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx!

Ok presume i have a DVD writer, and use somting like pinicle or ulead, can i just use tools to save the movie in ie mpeg/dvd/avi format and just burn that in nero as a "data copy" disc?

2ndly, my 34min movie in dv quality is around 11Gig..... what format is good quality and enough mb/gig to fit in a dvd-r?

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You need to encode a DV to MPEG2 using something like TMPGENC 1/2 hour will easily fit a DVD-R

I am not the best person to recommend mastering programs (ie put MPEG2s into menus ect)

See if anyone suggests any other answers I know there are products from Pegasys (including MPEG2 encoder TMPGENC) and Nero

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    For best results you should capture the footage via firewire as AVI files. These can be edited without any loss of quality.
    Once the editing is finished I would recommend you use Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 to author the footage, add menus and chapters and burn to a disk. This software is very easy to use and gives IMHO very good quality results. The software will cost about £30, or maybe less online, and a free 30 day trial can be downloaded from www.ulead.co.uk

Mark.

9. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is RAW DV which is alot different to what is used for DVD or AVI files. Converting to mpeg2 will see a little reduction in quality but not that we would notice.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    AVI files will use approx 14Gb per hour on a PC.
    DV camcorders compress the files at 5:1 as they are written to the DV tape. When these files are copied to the PC they are just stored as AVI without any conversion. Therefore RAW DV files would be 14Gb * 5 = 70Gb per hour of footage :eek:

Mark.