1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Camcorder Jargon Info

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by clum111, Dec 20, 2004.

1. clum111

clum111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm looking for basic info and explanations about the features which you get on camcorders, because I haven't got a DV camcorder but considering buying one like the Canon MV750i. Could anyone direct me to where I can read this info please?

Also please could someone tell me how much space would a DV tape take on a computer?

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A one hour tape of DV footage shall take up approx 12gb space on your hard drive. Every 5mins equates to approx 1gb.

750 has a powerful zoom lens, a dv input (which lets you archive your edited programmes on the best quality format, miniDV) an analogue input, which lets you convert your old camcorder footage into a digital signal that your computer can use.

It also has a stills facility, which I rate as being very very rubbish and uneccessary, the quality for stills is very low, I would buy the cheaper MV700i instead.

3. clum111

clum111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Canon MV750i it has the facility transfer the edited version back onto the dv tape, isn't this a benefit or would you suggest copying it onto a DVD CD? If you suggest DVD, then how easy is it to write it in region 2 as I haven't got a DVD Writer? Someone has told me they had to get a firewire card for their computer for their Canon MV750i to make their old tapes into digital format, will I need firewire if I don't have old tape to convert?

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, MV700i can do this as well (the feature is called DV-in).

I always keep a copy of my edited projects on a miniDV cassette, as it is the highest quality consumer format (at the time of writing).

DVD's are great for sharing footage and for your own playback too (saves wear on camcorder or tape) but the quality is ever so slightly reduced.
    As long as you don't put more than an hour on a dvd you should get great looking footage.

Any DVD drive or DVD recorder sold in the UK will be PAL & region 2 compatible.

If you want to get your footage from your camcorder onto your computer you will need a firewire card on your PC (if there is not a firewire socket already fitted).

5. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for asony and not a cannon