DV CAM NewB (moved by Networkguy)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mccrack, Jul 12, 2004.

1. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Panasonic GS11 DV Cam. Very happy with my first cam but copying the video footage from the camera to my PC has been a pain. I installed all the software provided but this only seems to be for still picture editing, so i've had to use MS XP's Movie Editor and stream the footage and Record it, obviously all quality has just gone out the window. With XP Movie Editor i have to play the footage on the Camera then select a Type of Quality to record ranging from Analogue 28.8 Kbps to Video for Broadband 738Kbps . Even @ the highest recording the quality is extremely grainy. Using USB 2.0 to connect to the device . Any ideas on how to retain the quality when i transfer the footage ???

Best Regards
    Ronald

2. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry about this. Spoke to the retail outlet, they neglected to mention on the Sale that to transfer Digital footage across to a PC @ the same quality you need to use the FireWire Kit which they just happen too sell. Marvellous.

So for any other N3wb's out there, there is your answer.

60 mins of digital footage will cost you about 13GB in HDD diskspace ,
    26GB if you plan to edit that, so you're going to need a bigger HDD for serious editting.
    It's going to be pointless storing all the video on your HDD so you're going to want to copy it onto a DVD. So if you dont already have one, you're going too have to go out there and purchase a DVD Writer as well.

Hmmmmfff , i keep on telling myself you cant put a price tag on memories....

./ronald

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you mention having "MS XP's Movie Editor" - never heard of that do you mean you have "MS MovieMaker" which comes free with Win XP - if so make sure you have Version 2 (free download from Microsoft website) it is a vast improvement on version 1.

If you want to know more about how to use MovieMaker2 have a look at www.papajohn.org

4. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, my bad, it's Movie Maker, will look @ the download after i get the FireWire kit, pretty pointless shooting any film until the retailer get's stock again.

./ronald

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Just thought I would ask:

How much is The Retailer charging for 'The Firewire Kit'?

Just a heads up if its something like £20+ as you can get a firewire card that will plug into a spare PCI slot on your PC's MoBo for less than £10 online. This will include a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the card. I would guess that this is all that will be in the kit from your retailer (it may also include a LE version of an editing prog, but you already have this with MM2). This will be all you need to get you footage onto your PC.

Just thought I would mention it before you are parted from your hard earned :suicide:

Mark.

6. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, it's retail is 750 ZAR , so based on rough conversion would cost you about 62 Pounds. I'm shopping around @ Computer WholeSalers looking for the PCI Firewire card but have'nt had much success finding one yet. Good old south africa ...

regards
    ./ronald

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Oh, you're in South Africa so that does make helping you find a good retailer a lot more difficault for us in wet & windy UK!!!
    Just in case you are not aware, firewire cards can also be called the following - ieee1394, DV, iLink. If you find a product listed as being a PCI card with any of these names on it then it is just firewire by another name, just to make life easier for those that are new to the video editing world that is :rolleyes:

Mark.

8. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the help mark, the retailer was bundling this PCI Firewire card with Pinnacle Video Editing Software @ 750 ZAR. Interestingly , i called a local Internet Cafe who stock the PCI firewire card for 199 ZAR , 199 / 12 = 16 Pounds . Sound reasonable enough ?

Regards
    ./ronald

9. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Ronald,

just bought the same Camcorder here in the UK and also wondered how to effect the transfer at first.

Although my PC already has a firewire card, I didn't have a lead and none was supplied with the camcorder.

What was supplied though was a lead with a composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red and white) at one end, the other connecting with a single 3 part headphone type lead which fits into the camcorder. This is the one which you would normally use to connect directly to your TV.

If you have a video in on your PC, in my case on a TV card, and a sound card then you can connect through this means. Still needed is a 2 phono to headphone adapter but these are quite inexpensive.

The problem I have is being able to play my movie in a DVD player. I have a writer and Arcsoft software as well as MS Moviemaker 2. The only formats I can find are .avi and .mpg neither of which are recognised by any of the 3 DVD players in my house.

No problem playing on my PC but anyone any ideas as to how I can create DVD's recognised by most players?

Cheers,

Leander

10. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mccrack

Yes £16 sounds a good price for a PCI firewire card and compares favourably with prices in UK

Leander.

Unfortunately you haven't told us which Arcsoft software you have - they do have many packages which will burn a DVD which will play on your DVD player. Since you mentioned Arcsoft go to http://www.arcsoft.com/en/products/videosoftware.asp and you will see some of their products, but there are many many packages to burn DVD's including some free ones. Another good source of programmes is Ulead ( www.ulead.co.uk ) they also have several DVD burning programmes which will burn a DVD which will play on a standalone DVD player

11. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Beejaycee,

I have Showbiz version2.

Many thanks for the information and links, I'm sure I'll find something now.

Leander

***Update***

Got my brain into gear and looked at Arcsoft Showbiz properly. It does create DVD's which my Pioneer 656 can now read. Many thanks for the jolt to my addled brain.

Leander

12. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Leander ,

I found this URL in this forum and it's been most helpful, did quite a lot of RTFM yesterday. Here it is http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=9;48#9;48 .

I'm still in 2 minds as to the firewire card , the retailer bundled the card with Pinnacle Video Software which is actually quite expensive @ 750ZAR , but there are also so many free editors out there.....

regards
    ./ronald

13. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there are also several very good ones a lot cheaper - I use Ulead VideoStudio 8 (currently GBP43.10) you can get a free one months trial from www.ulead.co.uk or www.ulead.com depending on your preference.

14. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question - I've got a P4 2.4GHZ but my HDD is 5400RPM , is this going to affect the quality when recording via the FireWire ?

regards
    ronald

15. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    The spin speed makes very little difference with video capture. What is important is the seek & access speeds.
    As long as the disk is rated as ATA-100 or better (and on a P4 system it will be!) it will be good enough for captureing video via firewire.

Mark.

16. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Mark , i bought the firewire card last night and tried it out, card works sweet. I think my expectations were just too high as far as the quality goes. None the less, it has become apparent i need a bigger HDD.
    Thanx for all your help.

regards
    ./ronald