dv cable and pci card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by lenzcapp, Dec 31, 2003.

1. lenzcapp

lenzcapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a JVC dv camcorder (GR DV 1800), and a DVD burner in my compo. The camcorder manual say use a dv cable to connect. The only cables I can find anywhere are firewire, and I can't identify a pci card for the compo end. Can any one tell me what I need to buy so I can put my movie stuff on to dvd.
    thanks.

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    DV / firewire / iLink / IEEE1394 are all the same thing.

If you haven't already got one, you'll need a firewire card - any will do. They cost anything from about £25. You'll also need a firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the PC.

Finally, you'll need some editting software on the PC. If you have Windows XP, then you'll already have MS Movie Maker, although I'd recommend downloading the latest (free) version from Microsoft (v2). This is an excellent program and a good place to start learning video editing. Depending on what you need to do, you may find it will be sufficient.

Hope this helps.

3. lenzcapp

lenzcapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks melliott,
    I didn't realize the same thing went under so many different names, stuff like that is really helpful when your are a beginner. I have win ME, and I will download v2 of MS Movie Maker as suggested.

regards.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Movie Maker 1 or 2 is only available for use with Windows XP :( so you will not be able to use it with ME.

Get used to things being known by different names - computers are full of this.

The following card will be ideal and it is supplied with the cable to connect your camcorder to the card.

www.dabs.com
    Lucent Firewire 2/3 Port PCI
    £11.00 inc VAT
    manufacturer code DV-1000LE
    quicklinx 179GWS

There are plenty of others on Dabs, some come with editing software in the box but prices go up to well over £100. Firewire cards are all the same (unless they have hardware codecs onboard) so you wont get any advantage on spending more money on a card.
    Pinnacle Studio 8 is a well respected and widly used editing package, but it is far from the cheapest. Worth a look though.
    What software do you have for creating the DVD's? You will also need to buy this if your DVD writer was not supplied with any.

Welcome to the wonderful (but often expensive) world of NLE!
    You will soon be upgrading your PC bit by bit as the bug bites, but hey, that life :D

Mark.

5. lenzcapp

lenzcapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Mark, for your reply. When I said beginner, I meant to putting camcorder movies on to dvd instead of vcr. I have had a computer for nearly 8 years now and have upgraded it a couple of times or so already. I now run amd athlon xp2000 on an abit kr7a-133 mobo with 1gig of ddr pc2100 and a 7200 40 gig hdd. I am still using my old voodoo 3-3000 agp (I am not a gamer) and am just about to move up to broadband. I shall be using Nero as my software, as it has been faultless in the past when I have put vynil and cassettes on to cd's. I have a sony dual writer so I think I am pretty well fixed up.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

lc

6. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi LC, you're going to need a DVD authoring program. As far as I know NERO is only a copying program. Something like Ulead's DVD Movie Factory is easy to use and you can download a demo for free from their website. It also allows you to create a simple DVD menu and chapters.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    lenzcapp, as klr10 said you will need an authoring prog. Several different applications are needed to create a DVD of footage taken on your camcorder.

Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 2 can do everything from capture to editing to MPEG conversion to menu & chapter points and finally creating the final DVD. Nero can do conversion (latest versions) but I don't think you can create menu's or chapters etc.

You can find loads of information and even tutorials for everything to do with creating your own DVD's at www.dvdrhelp.com

Mark.

8. lenzcapp

lenzcapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to give me all this valuable info. It proves that you never stop learning!

I am now off to the dvdrhelp website to learn some more.

lc