1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV 88p

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by srbwilson, Dec 4, 2004.

1. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been offered a DV88p for £350. My questions are, is it a good price? and will the updated board have any effect on cd replay? i currently have a cd73 and may sell this on if the 88p is any good at cd replay, anyone with experience of the two? also will the 88p be better than my HK DV25 player?

cheers pps

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Do you mean the Zoran 3 based DV88P or the Zoran 5 based DV88 Plus? It probably is a good price provided it is in good nick.The DV88+ was recently being sold at £500, reduced from £1k when the DV78 & DV79 were introduced. DV88+ CD replay is excellent, but I can't tell you how it compares with the CD73T. I tested my DV88+ against a HK DV22, the replacement for the DV25 and found that it was much better for both picture and sound. The SIL board in the DV88P is supposed to be slightly better than the Zoran 5 in the DV88+, but I expect that you would need a big screen to see the difference. Can you not borrow the Arcam to do a comparison?

3. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that ikki. it is i believe the zoran 3 based p, which is only available from an upgrade, or so i have been told? i dont think borrowing it is an option really, which is a shame. the player is in excellent condition boxed etc so seems a decent enough price.

4. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    88plus cd is samestandard as Alpha 7SE - was v highly rated at £1K, mine produces a cracking picture in progressive.