dv-868avi-s manual errata?

floatingkiwi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just having a look at the DV-868 manual prior to a (possible) purchase and I see that supposedly it doesn't convert Pal to NTSC. Now since all the others do I suspect an errata in the manual. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is the same issue sorted out for the 757i? I have read a bit in these forums but can't find if it was ever fixed finally.

Cheers

Look at page 30 in the manual. It explains the PAL / NTSC switching.

B.

yes, exactly, that page is giving the whole problem.

The "player setting" chart on the right hand side of that page says that even if the player is in NTSC mode, it will still output PAL from a PAL disc, which is in contradiction to the 565A for example. One would expect the 868 to be a little more flexible than the 565 in terms of pal/ntsc output format??

Or does this chart only refer to the progressive scan capabilities? Which I think is probably not the case as the same chart in the 565A manual gives ntsc --> pal conversion in that chart, and that player only does ntsc progressive.

Cheers
Matt

Now since all the others do I suspect an errata in the manua

Are you sure about this? Most European players will convert NTSC to PAL or PAL60, but I don't know of any that convert PAL to NTSC: the manufacturers wouldn't consider that necsessary. NTSC regions don't need to convert to PAL.

quote: Are you sure about this? Most European players will convert NTSC to PAL or PAL60, but I don't know of any that convert PAL to NTSC: the manufacturers wouldn't consider that necsessary. NTSC regions don't need to convert to PAL.

I should have not been so bold as to say "all", but the 565A certainly does, according to it's manual. But I'm not sure first hand, no.

Why shouldn't NTSC zones convert from PAL? What if you live in the US and buy UK r2 disks? What if you live in a quirky country like NZ that used to have NTSC only tv's (in a PAL zone)!!

My 668 (868's little brother) outputs 525p when playing PAL discs and 480p for NTSC discs. I don't know about the frequency, though. Hope this helps.

Sounds like his player is set to AUTO, where it will just put out the same signal as the disk it is playing.

Is he happy with his 668?

Why shouldn't NTSC zones convert from PAL?

Well of course, a small group of enthusiasts like yourself may want to, but the NTSC territorys are by far the largest in user numbers and they, for the most part, probably think that PAL is a "person with whom one is friendly".

floatingkiwi (assuming you were talking to me):

The answer is... maybe! I bought for the digital out (hdmi) and I haven't yet found the appropriate cable to connect it with my Infocus. But now I find that their digital interfaces may not be compatible. If they are, I guess I will be happy!

sorry lepton, I confused your sentence in my head (I thought you were talking about your brother's player!!, but you said 868's little brother....) I must be working too hard.
Hey, Greece is really cool, I've been sailing around Corfu and to Athens as well, Neat , neat place!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom