DV 79 on screen graphics problem ??

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by AndyGo, Jun 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just purchased my first Arcam bit of Kit, The DV79. I found the DV 79 to be a great performer in the auditions I had & bought one. At the moment I am running it to my projector via S-video (I will use component as soon as I get a cable made up to thread through the ceiling, etc.)

The on screen graphics appear to have a lot of yellow bleeding through them ? They are white (or at least this seems to be the colour they should be), but seem to have these rather odd looking yellow smears on them. Is this normal for Arcam kit ? I tried the S-video output through a different lead to my plasma & got exactly the same result. The picture seems o.k. but I'm not sure if this is a problem with the graphics via S-video ? I will hook it up via RGB tonight & see what happens. Anyone experience the same ? Or if you could connect to a display via the S-video output & let me know that would be interesting to see if it's just mine.

Cheers,

Andy

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I have a DV79 connected to my plasma via hdmi and the menu is rock solid with none of the conditions you describe.

Should you be connecting it via component (with PS) to your Pw6 panny ?

3. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. Eventually it will be hooked up via component, but until I get the cables & a component switcher it is using S-video to the projector & RGB scart to the plasma.
    I have hooked it up this way tonight & RGB scart shows the same situation where the menus are smeared with yellow. So it appears that this is the same on the non-digital outputs & I was interested to know whether this was correct (?) or whether a trip back to the shop is required.

I'll be a bit dissapointed if a £1000 DVD player can't even display graphics without colour smearing ???

Cheers,

Andy

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If i was you, i would take it back and get them to try it on there setup.......

Cause you just know that, now it does not matter what people say....you will still be thinking " is it right, or have i got a dodgey one".

May not be any help, but i've got a DV89 and i've used RGB, S-Vid and Component connections and get none of the colour smearing you describe.......infact it is the only player that i have owned that i cannot find a problem with when it comes to OSD..........other things.. :) , but deff not the OSD.

5. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info so far guys,

Is there anyone out there who can whack in an s-video lead to a DV79 & see what the on screen graphics are like (I.e. the track no.'s, status, dvd loading text, etc.)

If yours is perfect with no yellowy smears then it will be easier if I have to have a moan to someone if I know that others are o.k.

cheers,

Andy

6. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll do that for you matey and let you know the results....Lee :)

OK just checked and when I turn PS off on the DV-79 the menu goes yellowy-green on both HDMI and S-Video. So I guess either we both have a problem or its the way it is!!

7. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee,

That's pretty much what I get, a sort of yellowy green smearing over the white menu text. Looks like this is what happens with an interlaced output.

So,.... the next question is (for any Arcam engineer who can shed some light)...why does it do this ?? and is it normal for the non-progressive output to do this or is there something wrong with our DV 79's ????

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Andy

8. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone from Arcam shed any light on this please ?????

9. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy just email [email protected] they came back to me within an hour yesterday, which is pretty impresive.

Lee :)