1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV-717 RGB output issue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dutch in USA, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Dutch in USA

Dutch in USA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took my region free DV-717 from The Netherlands to the US. Here I bought a beamer and could finally try out the RGB output...or so I thought. :rolleyes:
    I am using a scart to RGB cable, but it does not seem like the signal is working. Initially I get a scrambled screen with pink and stripes, then the beamer decides there is no signal :mad:
    I went to the set up menu and chose AV1 output RGB...no result. The S-video works fine, but when RGB is available...
    Ideas anybody? Hidden menu's maybe?.
    As region free is not an issue here (thus not easily available) I do not really want to get a new player as that means my R2 dvd's will catch dust. Next to that, I do plan on returning to "the old countries" :cool:

Advice on reference DVD players that are easily made region free is option 2.

Thanks!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    Guess: The projector hasn't got RGB. It only has component (which is of equal quality, but not the same thing).

3. Dutch in USA

Dutch in USA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel,
    ok... yes, it has component, which is what I use for input. MMhh So what you are saying is that RGB is SCART technology only, so I should stick to s-video on this player?

Thanks

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    RGB is the "version" of colour component that is carried by and part of the SCART spec. SCART is just a connector really so it coyuld carry anything, and everything it does carry, could be carried another way. RGB (however it is carried) is not the same as what is known as "component".

I believe you can buy an RGB > Component converter. A web search might find one. I've seen the Brand name JS mentioned on this forum.

SVideo is a close second for PQ to RGB or component. You may choose to stick with that.

5. Dutch in USA

Dutch in USA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel. Buying another convertor would make the Q diff. between the svideo even smaller. I'll just stick to svideo and look for a future upgrade with dvi out.
    Cheers

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    You may be right - I can't confirm. I can only say that other people on this very forum have touted JS RGB>Component converter as a good way of dealing with this very issue. SVideo should give you good enough results, though.