DV-575A Questions...

guido

Established Member
Reaction score
A few questions re the DV-575A...
Am looking for a DVD player to use with my SP4805 projector... currently have a Toshiba SD-330E which use with my Loewe Vitros and am very happy with it... now I can either move this to use with the projector and get another for the TV, or leave this one on the TV and get a new DVD player for the projector (they are in different rooms!).

So the questions... :)

1) How does the zoom work on the Pioneer. I like the Toshiba zoom a lot, when watching 1.85:1 movies, the first stage zoom on the Tosh basically expands the picture to almost 16:9 height and you lose the edges which is normally OK. How does the zoom on the Pioneer work?

2) Does the Pioneer play DVD+R disks? It only mentions -R in the specs. This will rule out the Pioneer completely.

3) The Pioneer has lots of picture tweaks... when adjusting the picture what do you do first... the projector or the DVD player using DVE Disk! From reading the excellent reviews on this site buy a member comparing the DV575 with the SD-340, it seems the 340 comes out of the box better, but the Pioneer is better after tweaking.

Now its £99 the 575 is closer to the SD340 and hence am considering it.

All replies greatefully received :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Guido

Hi,

I don't think the 575a plays dvd+r. i tried on mine but they didn't work. Works fine with dvd-r.

deanym said:
Hi,

I don't think the 575a plays dvd+r. i tried on mine but they didn't work. Works fine with dvd-r.
Had to return mine bad unstable picture, but that was through a ctv Hitachi 36ins, the Limit 900se is now here and so much better sound and picture imho, so relieved to have no more jagies and the audio is in anouther world all imho though :thumbsup:

i am pretty sure mine plays dvdr-+ full of divx's or dvd video.

I use the 575 with the TX100 projector, and it is an excellent picture for the money. I originally bought the £200 Cambridge Audio DVD79, but took it back because the pic through component was worse than my old Pio 525 (the 79 weighed much more than the 575 - but who's bothered about weight?... unless it's a sub!) Anyway, the 575 via component is fantastic. Detailed, smooth. It also has lots of adjustment options, and a nifty (and much maligned) Block Noise Reduction option which works a treat on the TX...
Haven't tried the zoom... use the TX for that... I'll give it a try tonight...PJ

Don't know about DVD+R, but it DEFINATELY plays DVD+RW!! (so it should play DVD +Rs).
Phil

It plays DVD+R's and DVD+RW's just fine.

Thanks for replies re DVD+R compatibility. Some players are more tolerant than others to the blank DVD type/manufacturer... I use Verbatim +R's whcih seem to be OK on all +R compatible players I have tried so far... but it looks like +R are OK which means Pioneer still in the reckoning :D

Anyone any comment on how the zoom works... i.e. is it the same as the Toshiba as I descibed? I guess settings up and tweakery will be "suck it and see"!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

No problems with Verbatim DVD+R and +RWs here.

I think the zoom goes quite a way in - about a 1/4 of the picture IIRC, which isn't really watchable (unless you have the Stacey's Mom video on of course :D ).

Re. DVD+Rs, mine works fine with Sony +Rs, haven't tried any others. Also fine with -Rs, +RWs IME.

S

Supersonic said:
I think the zoom goes quite a way in - about a 1/4 of the picture IIRC, which isn't really watchable (unless you have the Stacey's Mom video on of course :D ).

Re. DVD+Rs, mine works fine with Sony +Rs, haven't tried any others. Also fine with -Rs, +RWs IME.

S

Staceys Mum Video :censored: nice :smashin:
Zoom is variable then? in how many stages? Sorry to ask so many questions... but find it useful on my tosh just to go to first zoom step which increases height of 1.85:1 films to just short of 16:9 frame (and loses the edges of course).

guido said:
Staceys Mum Video :censored: nice :smashin:
Zoom is variable then? in how many stages? Sorry to ask so many questions... but find it useful on my tosh just to go to first zoom step which increases height of 1.85:1 films to just short of 16:9 frame (and loses the edges of course).

It is a one stage zoom, so zoom in to the blurred centre of the pic, that you can then slide around the pic so seeing the other bits of the picture - useless. Not like the excellent 'progressive' zoom function on the Toshibas (or my old SD500 at least).
The 575 has a cracking (better looking) picture than the above and the sound is very good as well (punchier and has sacd as a bonus). Had one for a while now and very happy with it. Seems to play any type of recorded DVD thrown at it.

Thanks Phil... that was what I needed to know. The zoom on my SD-330E sounds much better!!
The 575 still in the mix... whilst I am spending money :eek:
Still to buy.. new amp/proj screen/cables/DVD player & maybe a new rack!!!
Oh well giving skiing a miss this year! :rolleyes:

Cheers for replies everyone :thumbsup:

mine wont play packet write files(pc generated) as stated in manuel.Well it does but in b/w and fuzzy!

Martian Phil said:
It is a one stage zoom,

Just to clarifiy, the first time you hit 'Zoom', it will zoom 2X.
The next time, it will be 4X, and hitting it again will unzoom
the picture.

Supersonic said:

S

Hi Supersonic,

Were your recorded DVD+R's bitsetting to DVD-ROM or plain DVD+R?

That could explain why some people could read them and others don't!

Regards,

FJorgeR.

I have no idea! They were burned, as a data disk, in Roxio 6 (WinXP) using a Sony DRU-510A. Played fine on my 575A. I also use Packard Bell +RWs, and have successfully used Memorex -Rs as well. Haven't tried -RWs yet as they were always dearer when I saw them in shops (haven't tried the net for media as yet). Hope that helps.

Well.. took the plunge and bought a DV-575 in Silver, Multiregion for £99 from Richer Sounds :D

Just plugged it in and tried Verbatim DVD+R (8x)... all seems OK.. well on front panel anyway as havent connected to Projector yet. Display showed disks playing OK, DD and DTS lights came on as per disk, chapter nav all OK, no errors indicated so assume picture will be coming out OK too! :eek:

Just for reference Verbatim 8x DVD+R DVDs burned on a NEC-3500 drive at 4x using Nero 6.

Supersonic said:
I have no idea! They were burned, as a data disk, in Roxio 6 (WinXP) using a Sony DRU-510A. Played fine on my 575A. I also use Packard Bell +RWs, and have successfully used Memorex -Rs as well. Haven't tried -RWs yet as they were always dearer when I saw them in shops (haven't tried the net for media as yet). Hope that helps.

Sorry for this late reply!

Well that explains it, because Sony DRU-510A does not support DVD+R/RW bitsetting meaning that all recorded DVD+R/RW will be showing like DVD+R/RW and not "DVD-ROM"! I know this because I had one but I upgrade it to a NEC 3500 (*), Sony newer models were not as good as 500A and 510A were!

So unless you get a new recorder that supports DVD bitsetting, you will be using DVD+R/RW with their native state.

Regards,

FJorgeR.

(*) Bitsetting was only available thru a third party firmware flash :)

Guido, how are you getting on with the 575? whats the picture like on the 4805 with this player? (thinking of getting it myself)

Fine thx! Using with 10m component to 4805. Havent done any tweaking on 575 end.. just on PJ. Can't complain for the money - bargain from Richer Sounds. Fine for 4805. Think you would have to double the money to see improvement... or go for one with HDMI to M1 on PJ which is a lot more.

guido said:
Fine thx! Using with 10m component to 4805. Havent done any tweaking on 575 end.. just on PJ. Can't complain for the money - bargain from Richer Sounds. Fine for 4805. Think you would have to double the money to see improvement... or go for one with HDMI to M1 on PJ which is a lot more.
Speaking of tweaking; I have had my 575 over 13 months now and the only tweaking
that is not default is that I have set 'Gamma' to 'Low' and installed a firmware
which enables Blacker-Than-Black (darker-than-black). That's all.
I have certainly tried all settings back and forth but concluded that it
works best to leave it as it is and adjust the display instead.

hi, i have a 4805 and dv575, just wondered those of you who have the same setup, do you set the dvd player set to interlaced or progressive?, it is connected via component. thanks.

It depends on the display device.

I have my Thomson CRT set to interlaced. The progressive setting on it gives out a better pic than if the player is set to progressive itself.

Plus you get a bit more control over the settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom