DV-350 as a CD player

clv101

Standard Member
Reaction score
Quick question, looking for a quick answer... how good is my Pioneer DV-350 at playing CDs?

Is is as bad as a cheap portable CD player?
Like an 10 year old mini system?
Like a £60 CD separate?
Or like a £120 CD separate?

The plan is to pair it with a Marantz SR4300 so am I right in thinking that the CD audio output from the DVD player can use the optical digital connecter to the Marantz amp?

These are the Sony E370's specs:
Frequency Response 2-20,000 Hz, +/-0.5 dB
Harmonic Distortion <0.0045 %
Signal to Noise Ratio > 102 dB
Dynamic Range > 93 dB
Channel Separation > 100 dB

And these are the specs for the Pioneer DV-350:
Total Harmonic Distortion 0,0016 %
Frequency Response 48 kHz 4 – 22.000 Hz
Frequency Response 96 kHz 4 – 44.000 Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 118 dB
Dynamic Range 101 dB

Does this make the Pioneer a better CD player than the two Sony players? What else features in this equation?

I tried my DV-350 alone and with a DAC. Alone it was not too shabby for its price I felt, rather decent. I couldnt really see a £100-odd player doing any better really. With the DAC, it shines though, really good sound quality through a decent DAC.

Sorry I'm still rather new to this - when you say you tried it alone do you mean just connecting the pair of phono connectors into an amp and when you say using a DAC do you mean using the optical digital output into an amp with digital input?

Using phonos means the DACs in the player convert the bitstream into analogue and send it to the pre-amp bit of the amplifier. Using the digital out, the bitstream is sent directly to the amps DACs for decoding.

So, it depends on which has the best DACs, I would guess at the player in this case but you have to try both to see.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom