1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV 27A vs. DV 79 DVD-A performance

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by kapikog, Jan 28, 2005.

1. kapikog

kapikog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone compared the DVD-A performance of the DV 27A to the DV 79 models (analogue out). I am still unsure which to go for, because of the potential benefit of HDMI out, that the 79 offers (for video obviously).

I currently have a Panny PW6 plasma (using component video) and am considering upgrading to a PW7 (with a HDMI card added). I am in North America, where we don't have the frequency issues with the Panny HDMI that the UK appears to be experiencing.

The bottom line is that if the DVD-A is noticeable better (through an AVR 300 and PMC DB1+ 5.1/TLE1 system) with DV 27A, I may decide to opt for this and keep the PW6. Does that make any sense :confused:

I would appreciate a response from anyone who has actually heard both units in DVD-A (ideally A/B).

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Tricky.

Tbh I've never used the DVD-A on my player. Our catalogue of available media to be blunt, is crap.

I'd put money on it it'll still outperform the 79.

As before, the 27a is superior to the 79 regardless of hdmi vrs prog scan. If you really want hdmi then surely you are better off looking at the DV29?

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I agree, the audio performance of the DV27A and the DV29 for both CD and DVD-A are far superior to the DiVA range of DVD players. I have listened to the DV89, DV79, DV27A and the DV29 for DVD-A playback and both the FMJ machines sound a lot beter than the DV89 or DV79. If it's video performance you are talking about and you are planning on using a HDMI connection then you should get the DV29 as it offers both superior audio and video performance to the DiVA range.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC I read a report in a US mag where the DV27A was superior over component to the DV29, can;t recall the mag though, may have been stereophile but not certain. Anyway the point I'm making, obviously very poorly, is how the component on the DV27A compares to HDMI on the 29? Just a thought

John

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seems this comes up all the time...

Video performance of the DV27 over component will not be worse than the DV79 over HDMI, IMO. I have a DV88+ with the SiI504 PS upgrade, which gives it par-DV27A video performance. I compared it on component head on against a DV79 over HDMI on my Sammy DLP and the DV79 was not better. They were very close, but I gave my DV88+/504 the edge. That Silicon Image deinterlacer (PS upgrade, DV27A) is just plain hard to beat. The DV79 uses the onboad Vaddis 5 which is not as good a deinterlacer.

Offhand, the DV27A will be a better overall player in all respects than the DV79 on any TV, but in the U.S. it's also $1200 more expensive. Whether it's worth the extra $ is another question. That will depend on how important audio quality is in the choice becuase that's where the noticable difference will lie.

6. kapikog

kapikog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dwette,

Thanks for the info. I went into a retailer in Toronto today (Bay Bloor Radio) because they sell Panasonic and Arcam product, in the hopes of comparing the 27A (component) with the 79 (HDMI) into a 42" Vierra EDTV.

My conundrum is that if a 79 through HDMI on a Panasonic 7 EDTV plasma is visibly better than a 27A through component on 6th gen. EDTV Panasonic (what I have now), and the audio (CD & DVD-A - analogue) isn't noticeably worse on the 79, I'll opt for the 79. I can get a demo 27A for about the same money as a new 79.

Unfortunately, this dealer didn't have a 27A, and didn't have the 79 in the same room as the Vierra. So, he compared compnonent to DVI from a low-end Dennon onto a Sony RPLCD. DVI looked WAY better than comp! I imagine this has way more to do with the 'cheap' DVD player than anything else though...

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I had the choice of a DV79 and DV27A at the same price, there would be no question, regardles of the TV and input used. I'd be taking the DV27A home. But you have to go with what makes you more comfortable. Either way, you'll end up with a great player.

In any case, the Denon comparison gives you no valid information in terms of selecting which Arcam to buy. There's really nothing reasonable to infer from that demonstration.

Dean

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Dean, its an "apples & oranges" demo that will not give you the answer you need. You need to compare a 79 via HDMI into the same dispay that you have component on the 27 into.
    If you need HDMI then its got to be the 79, if thats not a requirement now and in the near future then the 27 hasto be the way to go, it is, imho a stunning payer

John

9. kapikog

kapikog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, guys. I think I'm getting the 'picture' ;)