1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dv 27 progressive ????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brad, Dec 21, 2002.

1. brad

brad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    how do you know when the dv27 is outputting progressive to my 42'' panny 5 also in the menu it says progressive but it wont let you highlight it or change any thing

cheers brad

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It depends on which set of component outputs you are using. I you are connected to the top row of outputs then you will definately be getting a progressive output.

On the latest DV27 the lower set of outputs can be configured for both interlaced and progressive video.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    How does one do that then?

I'm guessing this means progressive from top row outputs is via Silicon Image SiI503 and from bottom outputs is via Zoran Vaddis V.

Interesting, although I would stick with SiI503; but would like to know anyway ;)

StooMonster

4. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The configuration's on page 2 of the set-up menu (video).

The third option down is labelled progressive. The exact options depend I think on the precise software version in use but...

Off = 480i and 576i

Auto = 480p and 576i

On = 480p and 576p

The auto option was for displays which couldnt accept 576p but were OK with 480p to avoid the need to keep switching. The on option was added when 576p was 'allowed'

Mark

5. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the latest firmware but ihavent seen the menu you mention

6. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You need a machine that has the Vaddis 5 MPEG board AND the most recent issue of the AV board to access the feature.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have the latest revision of the DV27 -- with Vaddis 5, most recent issue of SiI AV board, Lt76 mech, firmware 2.1.8.34.0 -- and this menu option is disabled.

The "hidden" Progressive menu allows 576p to be enabled though.

StooMonster

8. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    StooMonster - it's not the Silicon Image board in question, it's the main AV board which has the 'lower' set of YPbPr outputs.

This, I believe, was reissued with the development of the DV88+ in order to allow access to the progressive output from the Vaddis 5. The 'older' main AV board which was in use with the DV88 does not allow access to the progressive output from the Vaddis 5 so if these are married together it will not be possible to switch the lower component outputs to progressive - obviously the 'upper' set belong to the SI board which outputs progressive by default.

There appear to be all combinations possible -
    eg a DV88 could have a Vaddis 5 and new DACs installed for DVD Audio. If that machine's main AV board is left as was, the progressive option will be inaccessible. The main AV board would need replacing too, to allow that.

(I know I've used the DV88(+) but the FMJ boards are identical.)

(Incidentally, the hidden progressive menu should no longer refer to 576p - only RGB and green sync - since they are supposed to output 576p by default now?)

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    This could well be a difference between DV27 and DV88/DV88+

Bought my DV27 less than two months ago, my dealer rang Arcam and made sure they shipped the very latest model.

In menu 2/4 Progressive option says "Not Applicable"

In hidden menu there are two options:
    Allow 625
    Allow RGB

There is no sync on green option. In fact, I talked to Arcam support about this and they said DV27 doesn't support sync on green, only sync through composite.

StooMonster

10. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Very interesting........

The hidden menu refers to the SI board though... this has only 3 phono outputs as you know. If you configure them to output RGB in the hidden menu the sync must be on green - theres no other phono for it.

For the regular YPbPr phonos, yes, the composite phono is used for RGB sync.

My hidden menu says - 1 Allow RGB
    2 Sync on G.

The Allow 625 option (which was no.1) disappeared with the latest update.

On the other question, the DV88+ and most recent DV27 software are the same as were the DV88 / 'old' DV27 so if the hardware is the same, it should work. I know JD said the latest DV27s ship with the new AV board.

Does everyone with a Vaddis 5 and definitely 'new' AV board have this not applicable progressive option? ReTrO?

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think John Dawson mentioned the option for dual interlaced and progressive output a while back, which has been standard on all the DV27's. I would guess that you could have twin progressive outputs from the DV27's with the new Vaddis V AV board.

I've not used one of the newst DV27's yet as I've not been working since September as I'm now at Uni. Should be back in the game soon though.

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Well mine is definately interlaced on one set and progressive on the other (as above). Perhaps I'll fire an email to Arcam support and ask them about it.

StooMonster

13. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The DV27 in all versions supports interlaced video on the lower component video outputs and progressive video from the upper outputs. In addition, because all 6 video DACs on the Vaddis 5 version we use can be run simultaneously, you could output composite and s-video at the same time as interlaced component video if you needed to.

However IIRC it is not possible to have two lots of progressive video from the DV27. This is because the internal digital video bus from the Vaddis 5 would then itself get reconfigured to progressive video and throw the operation of the subsequent Silicon Image deinterlacer in the extra PS board.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Oh well nice idea.

Not that I'd imagine two progressive outputs would be needed.:)

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    That saved wasting Arcam's (excellent) technical support's time!

However, I do still wonder about RGB via progressive out; if it doesn't use sync on green (tech-support told me over the phone that DV27 only supports sync on composite), but only has three RCAs, how does that work?

Only wondering as I have a thought that DV27 may do better component to RGB conversion than my plasma.

StooMonster

16. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, thank you John. Makes sense.

StooMonster - the h-sync has to be carried on green - it isn't gonna work otherwise.
    Maybe you could try it out with your existing YPbPr cable, setting the prog menu to allow RGB and I think also setting the HQ video option to RGB Scart.

It's strange that you seem to have the allow 625 option and I have the sync on G.!

AFAIK progressive RGB is not an officially sanctioned format - ? - so I wonder if it's all to do with that...........

Mark

17. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Actually, that was kind of dumb posting (late at night :blush:) because I've tested it in the past (exactly as you described) and it's sync on green on progressive output and sync on composite on the interlaced out.

I always wondered about the third option in the menu (read about it in FAQ), if the hidden menu refers to SiI board what does it do when "Allow Sync on Green" is off? This is probably why it's not listed in my menu anymore. Or it allows sync on green on DV88+ on interlaced outputs.

Don't see why not about progressive RGB, Silicon Image chipsets (and others) can output both progressive RGB and progressive YPbPr-- some projectors can only accept RGB and not YPbPr.

I'm currently testing an iScan unit to improve picture on Sky Digital on my plasma, and using progressive RGB output.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59625

StooMonster

18. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mmmmm.. I could be wrong about the prog RGB thing - I vaguely remember reading, possibly in an AV mag that the DVD Forum or Macrovision or somebody only sanctioned progressive video in YPbPr format not RGB, but anyhow.

I was thinking about that allow sync on G thing. I wonder if that were to be set to off but RGB to on if the sync is still carried on the composite phono?

That would allow you to connect to a display not compatible with sync on green, one which needed a separate h-sync.

I dont know if that would work but I cant see a reason for the option if it doesnt have a separate function!!!

Did you perceive any difference between RGB and YPbPr prog on your panel?

Mark

19. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done what you are describing both with and without sync on green. but as i found out only interlaced composite sync is available for interlaced RGB.
    There is no progressive composite sync out available.

20. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done what you are describing both with and without sync on green. but as i found out only interlaced composite sync is available for interlaced RGB.
    There is no progressive composite sync out available.