DV 1394 capture problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Ken Davison, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Ken Davison

Ken Davison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need help badly:rolleyes: :D

I have a Sony DCR-TRV9E PAL which I used to run under windows 98SE using a Matrox card with a piggy back Rainbow Runner card down loading using "S" video.

The dv has a 1394 socket so when I purchased my new pc I included a firewire card.

The os is xp and I have three capture/editing software all up to date and cleared via fire wall exceptions.

I have already purchased a second card and cable but still have this problem.

Start up any of the capture programs and they all tell me there is no device installed and xp does not show it in the device manager.

Spoke to a friend yesterday who programs on Macs and he smiled and said thats why he uses a mac and works on macs.

He said I needed a widget to tie the dv, os and software together and told me the best place to try was a forum like this one so here I am :lease: Help me.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    2 simple things to try
    1) connect your camcorder via firewire to another PC
    2) connect another DV camcorder to your PC via firewire

Before that
    a) : go into your camcorder Menu and ensure that DV out is enabled or not disabled ( if that option is available) could be something like AV out = DV
    b)The camcorder is on VCR mode and powered on.
    c) Under control panel, system, hardware, devices manager: IEEE1394 bus host controller, see that you have an ohci compliant Controller ( may may not be Texas instruments) with no queries
    If all this checks out well

Even Windows Movie Maker will ( should) see the camcorder as an AV device

They work in PCs too ( not just in Macs:) )

3. Ken Davison

Ken Davison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at item a) nothing there but there is a button for data code and when I press it line of dashes come up split with colons as if the dashes should be lettering or numbers, don't really know what to make of that and I cannot find my manual.

This is the first option showing.

-- -- ----
    --:--:--

Second option

-- ---
    --- ---
    --- ---

b) yes OK

c) yes OK

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The button for code is just for turning on or off Sonys info display on the LCD: Depending on menu selections it will display

timecode on tape , date, time of shooting, exposure info including, aperture/ white balance, etc

I refer to menu options which should be accesible once the menu button is pressed

It may well be that the DV out is on by default but you still need to try the first 2 suggestions to find out why your DV is not working. The 3 possiblities if the PC is ok and DV out is enabled are
    a)faulty camcorder firewire interface,
    b) dodgy cable
    c) or faulty camcorder electronics ( ie its firewire output may be faulty).
    None of these will be the case if both camcorder and cable work on another PC. Conversely if another camcorder works on your PC , then your PC is not to blame.

You may check here to download your camcorders manual as a PDF file and here for a bit more info

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Assuming you have SP2 running on the PC you may have the 'known' firewire problem. Have a look in This thread for details on how to fix it.
    Another thing is that sometimes you can't capture video unless the camcorder is running off its power supply rather than the battery. Do you normally plug the cam into the mains supply when capturing?
    Is the firewire socket on the motherboard, soundcard or a dedicated card? If on the MoBo then make sure the port is physically connected (in a recent thread this was the cause of the problem). Soundcard ports can often be more problematic than they are worth and therefore adding a dedicated PCI card with firewire for around £10 could solve the problem.
    And yes even a brand new firewire cable can be dud! I've advised several people in the past to try another firewire cable, and this has solved their problems. Just make sure the cable has a max length of 1.8m as longer cables can cause problems. Don't worry about getting an expensive branded cable as these offer no advantage for video capture.

Mark.

6. Ken Davison

Ken Davison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The firewire is ADS Pyro Basic DV, as I stated before the card shows up as installed in devise manager without problems, have tried two cables without success.

The strange thing is when I tried to down load from ADS a fix program for known 1394 os xp problem, I had a message saying no hardware capture device installed, this happened on two of their patches.

At a guess xp is where the problem lies. I tried the sidspeed deal from the other thread, typed in sidspeed, it showed searching reg. then just showed a window with OK

I can down load dvc via my JVC "S" video VHS and tv card, and it works straight into my tv.

The further I look it just seems a bit of a jungle:confused:

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Have you tried the camcorder on another PC or another camcorder on yours?

8. Ken Davison

Ken Davison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried it on another pc with an onboard fire wire and had the same problem but he is running xp home fully updated.

What I don't understand is why the ADS site files could not locate my board that to me points to xp problems, I have visited several sites and they all say sony and ms xp have not tied the knot correctly, mine worked ok on 98se with a 1394 card only had this problem with the new setup

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Im not sure why the ADS files could not see thier own card
    Did you put the ADS card in your PC? or is there an onboard firewire?
    You say you had the same problem on another PC with XP home ( Shouldnt matter that) Do you mean your camcorder was not seen on this other PC with a different Firewire card/ Cable??

10. Ken Davison

Ken Davison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the ADS pyro basic dv is in my pc.

Yes the cam did not show up on another computer running exactly the same software xp updated the only difference was thefirewire setup which was on the motherboard, for a time I thought it was the cam, and I am taking it down to pc world tomorrow to see if it shows up on their setups. But this thing about the ADS not finding their own card steers me away from the faulty cam. I have emailed ADS but to date I have not had a reply.

11. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Good luck :)

I hope it is not the case of an incompatible firewire card AND faulty camcorder.

Obviously if yours doesnt work at PC World and another camcorder doesnt work on your PC that may be the case.
    There are reports of some Sony firewire camcorder sockets going bad: this may explain the s-video working but no joy with the firewire so far. I certainly hope not as that wiill be a real PITA

12. Ken Davison

Ken Davison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to install the "Update for Windows XP (KB885222) package and each tine I try I get error message "Access Denied”

Tried after shutting down firewall and AGV still no success :confused:

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Are you using XP from an administrator account? If the account you use does not have administrator rights then you will be very restricted as to what you can do.

Mark.