1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duty

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jack Ryan, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone had to pay duty on LOTR Ex Ed from CD-WOW @£21.99?

They have their pop up box warning and I generally order from play but the price is so good. Never paid duty (touch wood) from play but wonder whether £4 is well invested extra with them to guarantee no other charges.

Jack.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This has been discussed many times on here - you could try doing a search on the subject and you will find some answers. ;)
    Whether or not you have to pay duty is pure random pot-luck - I bought the same LOTR extended box-set from CD-Wow and didn't have to pay any extra, but as I said, this is just down to luck.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you order the R1 from Play you will also run the risk of paying duty.

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R2 version from play.com is £22.49 now so it might be worth going for that one to eliminate the risk....(or it was about £24 from Asda when I was there the other day).

Simon

5. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The threshold for import duty (and Post Office handling charge) is £18. Go above that and you risk paying the duty, sometimes you get away with it but more by luck than anything else. Though CDWOW are based in the UK, they source a lot off shore so don;t let their address fool you. Same also goes for 101cd.com though they are based in Jersey.

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CD-WOW are based in Hong Kong but they have a multitude of websites giving the impression that they are based in the UK, Ireland and other locations. From a Duty/VAT point of view Jersey is offshore to the EU.

7. INORAN

INORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I ordered Lord of the Rings, Changing Lanes and the Audioslave CD from CD WOW! about 9 days ago and Changing Lanes and Audioslave both arrived 3 days later but I'm still waiting for LOTR which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about avoiding customs charges...

Chris

8. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what happens when you get hit with the duty charge. I received a game from CD-Wow yesterday which was worth £34 and it had a big sticker from customs stating that £9 was due before delivery & that it was not to be delivered without payment.

However, Mr Posty just delivered it while I was out yesterday and no mention of collecting the £9.

So I've now got the game. No signatures etc etc

How do they normally collect the duty. I thought I would have to go & collect from the sorting office or something.

Any ideas? Have I got away with it?

Peter

9. INORAN

INORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same thing happened to me quite a few years ago when I imported a video game from the US.

I completely ignored the form but after a while they sent letters to my house asking for the money. I ignored that too but they sent another one and I think my mum paid it at the time because I wasn't there anymore.

Considering you didn't sign for it you could always try telling them you never received the parcel I suppose.

Don't blame me if you end up in jail though. ;)

Chris

10. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "yes officer"

"Chris told me not to pay it and here's his email address" :D

11. INORAN

INORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pah, I'll be out of the country by the time they get here. :)

And, just to conclude, I received my LOTR DVD set this morning with nothing to pay.

Considering the way they sent it I don't think you'll have any problems.

Chris

12. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I live in Dublin so the situation may be different (but I don't think so). Normally the postman collects the charge before handing over the package but sometimes they don't notice the sticker (or don't bother, especially during the Christmas rush). My guess is that no one will try to collect but of course you are legally obliged to pay.

13. PaulP

PaulP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought LOTR reg2 from CD-Wow in December and was hit for £3.85 "import VAT" and £3.85 "Consignia Clearance Fee".

As this was only my second order with CD-Wow and their website said that there would be no duty or vat charges to pay, I was a bit miffed about this.

I emailed CD-Wow about it, and on my credit card statement today, I see that they've credited me back £8.00

You can't say fairer than that eh ?

TOP company to deal with. I shall use them again.

Paul.