duty free shopping?

vx220

Established Member
Reaction score
ok not duty free but tax free shopping at some airports, my question is if i were to buy a digital camera from gatwick would it be the same price if i was travelling to the far east and if i was travelling to europe? and do u think its worth doing as they seem to offer better prices than high street stores, im using a sony w300 digi camera as an example, typicaly 200 pounds in stores! thanks in advance

my question is if i were to buy a digital camera from gatwick would it be the same price if i was travelling to the far east and if i was travelling to europe?
Yes

But, if you are travelling to the far east, they will sell it to you without VAT, and you are not then able to bring it back to the UK (ie, you would have to take a customs risk). If, however, you are travelling within the EU, they will keep the same total price, but you pay the VAT (they make less money) and you can bring it back into the UK with your receipt. NB - please check I have my facts right before going ahead - this is what I was told by Dixons at Gatwick - basically if you buy, check the receipt shows you have paid the VAT.

and do u think its worth doing as they seem to offer better prices than high street stores
If you can get what you want for less, it's worth doing. I bought my Nikon there some years ago, and I would buy my next too, if the price were right. But the price isn't always right - Gatwick Dixons have the Nikon D300 for £808, which is a great price, but the D700 is £1700, which is more than it costs at Amazon. Check prices before you buy.

thanks for the fast response, im flying out to cyprus next tuesday, im after a compact easy to use camera so not to fussed about its wide angle lens or zoom etc etc, as long as it hits my 200 budget! can u check online prices for gatwick then? i have been looking for weeks with no avail??

im flying out to cyprus next tuesday
Well Cyprus isn't in the EU, so you wouldn't be paying VAT, so you'd have to be careful about bringing it back into the country.

can u check online prices for gatwick then? i have been looking for weeks with no avail??
Yep, see here: Dixons Tax Free
Although it doesn't yet show the Nikon D700 which I saw in store a couple of weeks ago, so there maybe others not shown too - there's a link so you can call each store to check if what you want is there.

Best you do some quick research on which one to buy.

I just wouldn't declare it.... but then the best advice I can give is don't ever listen to my advice :D

Declare what?? :rolleyes:

Dixons 'Tax free' is nothing of the sort...just a marketing wheeze to fool punters into thinking they're getting erhm 'tax free' cameras. Sometimes their prices are the cheapest, but that's not becuase they are 'tax free'.

Just three days ago, I was flying out to Madrid so took the opportunity to buy an EOS-450D kit (ie inc 18-55mm IS lens) for £408 (or £358 after Canon cashback :D).... there was no fear about passing through the 'nothing to declare' UK Customs channel when I returned...as like I said, I'd paid UK taxes on it (ie within Dixon's price).

Can customs tell where you buy say a lens by the serial number then?

Dixons 'Tax free' is nothing of the sort...just a marketing wheeze to fool punters into thinking they're getting erhm 'tax free' cameras. Sometimes their prices are the cheapest, but that's not becuase they are 'tax free'.
I don't believe you. I think goods that you buy when leaving the EU are genuinly tax free.

Just three days ago, I was flying out to Madrid so took the opportunity to buy an EOS-450D kit (ie inc 18-55mm IS lens) for £408 (or £358 after Canon cashback :D).... there was no fear about passing through the 'nothing to declare' UK Customs channel when I returned...as like I said, I'd paid UK taxes on it (ie within Dixon's price).
Yes, that I do agree with. You paid UK taxes because you weren't leaving the EU. Dixons accept that tax won't be payable on some of the goods they sell, but will be on others (those that are staying within the EU), and they adjust their prices accordingly. If that's not the case, it's difficult to understand how they can sell some cameras at a lower price than anywhere else in the country, despite having to pay for quite an expensive lease.

Can customs tell where you buy say a lens by the serial number then?
No, but if it's newish (and the box can be a real giveaway) they simply ask you to prove you paid tax. No receipt and they can demand you pay tax and a fine.

No, but if it's newish (and the box can be a real giveaway) they simply ask you to prove you paid tax. No receipt and they can demand you pay tax and a fine.

Thanks, better take my Jessops receipt with me when I go then.

You can even claim the VAT back...

Claim VAT back on Dixons Tax Free shop at airports! - HotUKDeals Forum

Last post in the above thread...

Dixon's 'Tax Free' stores are not really tax free. They actually reduce the prices by about 15% so they appear to be close to tax free. Look at the receipt next time you buy, it''s a bog-standard UK receipt with a VAT number on it. Dixons started this 'non-scam' when the EU banned 'duty free' shops within the EU - they didn't want to lose the marketing edge. Airport branches used to be the only part of Dixons where you could pick up a decent bargain, especially if you claimed back the VAT as well. That said, in the last few years their so-called 'duty-free' prices have been creeping up to close to High Street prices, apart from a few loss-leaders.

i concur that I have a standard UK receipt.

or how about this thread...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=6687687

last post...

I have just called Dixon's at Manchester airport to find out the situation regarding paying duty on arrival back in this country. I was told that you could buy at tax free prices whatever your destination and have the item delivered direct to a home address (for a small fee) that way there is nothing further to pay, (and you don't have to use your baggage allowance) sounds good to me. I know I won't get what I want any cheaper else where so it's ideal.

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up guys, and yes cyprus is in the EU, as for the camera i only want a sony w300 and its 200 in dixons duty free? i swear i have seen it for 175 in the shops here, perhaps its not worth my while waiting till next tuesday?

I asked Dixons Duty free about the D700. Here was there reply.

"Dear D2V2D:D Thank you for your email dated 27th August 2008. Please accept my apologies for the delay with this response.

Having searched our systems, I can confirm that at present, we do not hold stock of the Nikon D700 camera in any of our Dixons Tax Free stores. There is no indication that we will stock this item in the near future therefore, I cannot confirm this. I apologise for the inconvenience that this matter will cause. Thank you for contacting us.

Yours sincerely,

Susan Williams
Currys Support

and yes cyprus is in the EU
Oh - can't believe we let THEM in ;)

"Dear D2V2D:D Thank you for your email dated 27th August 2008. Please accept my apologies for the delay with this response.

Having searched our systems, I can confirm that at present, we do not hold stock of the Nikon D700 camera in any of our Dixons Tax Free stores.
Susan got it wrong. I had a go with one at Gatwick's Dixon's (North Terminal) on 20th Sept. Give them a call - 0129 356 9737
It was £1700, over £100 more than at Amazon, so I didn't bite their arm off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom