1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Peter G, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that dust contamination appears to be a common problem with projectors, I'm thinking of getting an air purifier with a HEPA filter for my HT room.

Do you reckon it would help?

Has anyone else tried this and if so, can they recommend any particular models?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt it will make much of a difference to be honest...... when a manufacturer talks of a clean dust free environment, they will literally be meaning orders of magnitude less dust. A purifier wont approach that unless it is something serious

ad

3. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But surely if the filter is removing any signifacnt amount of dust from the air that must mean there is less available to cause problems in the projector.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but the question is whether it is in fact doing that....... it also may not remove the size of particle that is the problem

ad

5. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they definitely remove dust from the air that's not in question. Otherwise the filters would never need changing.

As to the size of the particles. Well they are certainly effective enough to make a difference to allergy sufferers. Now I'm willing to bet that the human immune system is sensitive to smaller particles than will cause the problem in a projector.

You can get a HEPA air purifier from amazon for about £60. That's cheap enough that I'm tempted to try it, given that it would protect an investment of £1200 in my projector.

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Does this mean that Im gonna have to start cleaning and dusting regularly??:eek:

7. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    i thought dust mites were supposed to eat the stuff,is there any way you can get them to breed.......?

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but you ought to finish the decorating first :D

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Sod it,I think Im gonna have to cancel my order,this all sounds like too much hard work:zonked:

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the other question of of course whether the purifier can cope with your volume of air..... they may be able to remove 50% of particles greater than size x in a volume of 3 square mm

always good to check

ad

ps. was trying to imitate small print but failed badly! At £60 it is probably worth a shot

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm reliably informed that Michael Jackson never had any dust/contamination problems, so yes, I'd say it would help :D

12. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I use an electrostatic air cleaner marketed by Rentokil in this country. It uses a 3 stage filter system: foam, elctrostatic and carbon and takes out particles as small as viruses. And it makes the air smell fresh too.
    This unit works so well you can't see a beam of light from the projector after its been on a couple of hours.

13. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    RTFM

sounds cool! how much and where from? what sort of of size are we talking?;) seriously though, you whetted my appetite....

14. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    allow me to add fuel to the fire...

Even the most efficient houses have around 0.4 - 0.5 natural air changes per hour. This means the entire air contents of the house is replaced every 2 hours - That's a crap load of dust coming into the house. I doubt a purifier would be able to suck out that much dust within that time span. (not including all the dust generated inside the house from people and materials)

It's like the old saying: Trying to purify air in a domestic residence is like trying to wash paint from a paint-roller -

15. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    snocrash
    -
    How much of the dust in your house do you think is coming from outside? Most household dust comes from the shed skin cells of the occupants, and the droppings of the dust-mites that feed on it (yuck!). When's the last time you had to dust your garden furniture? :D