1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust problems - External Air Filters

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    With so many many many reports on dust blobs on the recent projectors, AE500 and Z2.

I'm wondering why no AV Accessory manufacturor has not yet marketed a external air filter system (Tube/Box - Filter one end, fan the other) on an adjustable arm that you point towards the air intake on your projector.

It would be cheap & Easy to make, and should sell well, as we are having £1000+ machines being taken apart after a few weeks/months by some owners trying to remove the dust.

If we can clean the air by a resonable percentage BEFORE is gets to the projectors air intake filter, then surley this would be much improved.

I know someone on here already made their own, and I intend to make my own also. I just find it weird no small manufacturor has not experimented making one commercially.

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Hmmm, Strange that no one has commented on this.
    With Report after Report (almost daily) of dust blobs, opening up Projectors, blasting with cans of air (fingers crossed!)

I guess I should ask, would anyone think buying a free standing (on an adjustable arm perhaps) filter/fan to possibly minimise dust being sucking into their LCD projector ?

I guess I'm puzzled why we're all happy with this happening, and to all the very new (not old running for years) projectors.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Not me............. regular filter clean......... the odd dust blob makes no great discernable difference when watching movies for me.... if it does it's a five minute job to get rid of them. The last thing I want is some Heath Robinson concoction of filters tubes and fans hanging off the ceiling/whatever........ as well as extra fan noise.

Sean G.

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Perhaps it's just the enormous amount of Z2 and AE500 postings about dust blobs that are striking me as bad news at the moment.

I'd agree about not wanting heath robinson filters/tubes etc. That's why I wondered (as we have so many makers of stands/brackets/screens etc) none of them have thought about desigining a neat compact good looking filter box, running nice and quiet of course.....

Just wondering really.

5. Oakmere

Oakmere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A DIY job I was considering after my warranty ran out was to run three tubes (Automotive tubes available for windscreen wiper washers) into the unit and attach them at the lens holes then simply have the three tubes coming out the back of the unit with plugs in them. If a dust blob appears simply take out the plugs, stick the sprayduster in the end of the tube and blast. If the dust blob turns out to be more hardwearing, then you can open the cover.

When I get my HT set up I intend on partially boxing the Projector and keeping it cool using a 120mm computer fan. Remember, a 120mm fan is always going to be quieter than the projectors own built in fan!