Dust problem with Sim2 SVP 450

red72

Standard Member
This is my first thread,so hi to everybody.

I suppose to have a big dust problem with my CRT SVP 450 projector,I think it is unbeliveble,so I post some image.
Someone have some suggestion?
The dust is inside the glass;
I didn't try to remove the glass because I think is impossible,it should be the tube.

Probably this problem happened after I clean some dust around the exterior side of the CRT.

Bye,Marco

Attachments

cosaw

Novice Member
Sounds like it could be a "Fungus" problem.

Check this page for more details: http://www.eboyztoyz.com/index.php?ncat=145#Fungus_removal

Look for the "Fungus Removal" section.

Some models of tubes are more prone to it than others - the guide in the website link is specifically for the Sony 10** series projectors.

B

Boy Lex

This is definately fungus. It's a bit of a job to clean it all out, but the link cosaw has given is a good guide.

It is a chemical reaction between the aluminium on the tube casing and the glycol coolant inside the tube. A further stage to consider (I had to do this twice on a seleco 350 after it came back) is to cover the inner glass when the front glass is off with carefully folded and inserted kitchen roll and spray paint the aluminium. Then you should avoid any recurrance.

Also use a hoover to suck any stray bits of sealant out of the front before you reseal it. Otherwise you'll get bits of black floating about in it.

You will be a little under the level of glycol that you started with when you finish - using deionised water to top it up seems to work fine.

Somewhere I have a bunch of photos from the last time I did it that I could dig out... If you're serious about doing it yourself, let me know and I'll post it all up.

red72

Standard Member
This is a picture with the tube off.
Probably is a fungus and not dust?

I live in Italy and everyday I work with electronic components so I hope to find these products(should be common products,also "heat transfer fluid" ? ).

Is it a complex procedure?

Is it a frequent problem? The CRT has 4 years.

Thanx to all for helping me,Marco

Attachments

B

Boy Lex

It is definately fungus (but not in the conventional use of the word!)

Here is a summary of the procedure:

1) remove tube

2) remove two small screws from bottom of glycol chamber.

3) drain off glycol (you will need to pierce the seal at the top with a knife to allow air in before it will drain.

4) remove front glass

5) remove all traces of seal on glass and housing

6) (optional) respray the housing so as to prevent further occurances

7) reseal the glass on the tube with any multi-purpose sealant (placing tube vertical so the glass doesn't fall off!)

8) Wait 18-24 hours and filter the glycol with coffee filters

9) Use a syringe to refill the chamber with glycol

10) top it off with deionised water

11) replace screws and refit tube.

It is an effort and is messy and the black sealant gets everywhere, but it is worth it as the fungus makes everything out of focus and horrible!

Sony use coloured glycol, so finding a replacement in the right colour is near impossible. Much better to use the existing glycol.

If you make the mistake of scraping the paint off when you scrape the sealant of the housing (like I did) it'll be back in 6 months. That's why I recommend respraying it.

red72

Standard Member
Today I have phoned to the customer service of Sim2 asking for a point of assistence near me.

Fortunately I have one in about 1 hour car,because if I have to send them through a carrier,I should have tried this procedure.

I end my thread with a new thanks to everybody for letting me to understand and the procedure to solve the problem.

Bye,Marco

red72

Standard Member
Today I got the response of Sim2 customer service:
they make any clear of the tube,they "simply" change the green tube...(700 €):mad: .
They advise me that changing the green tube,is recommended changing also the other tubes (Total 1500€ for 3 tubes):mad: .
Why in the 2006 is not possible to obtain a cleaning of the tubes by their point of assistance...

Tomorrow I will go to take my CRT and try the cleaning by myself.

Hoping to have some help if I need it.Thank you everybody.

Marco

B

Boy Lex

If you can hang on till wednesday I'll endeavor to post up piccies by then of the procedure... Am currently without kitchen while I refurbish my house - hence my lack of presence on the forums lately!

Chris Frost

red72 said:
Why in the 2006 is not possible to obtain a cleaning of the tubes by their point of assistance...
Two reasons for this...
First, the tube was supplied by Sony as a complete component, so Sim doesn't have experience in reworking a tube.

Second, the time taken for a service engineer to fix the problem would cost more than the tube is worth. That's why they recommend replacement.

I've repaired a few of these myself now. I would definately recommend repainting the aluminium facia. All the tubes I have seen have had small pit marks in the paint which is why the fungus became a problem in the first place.

Regards

red72

Standard Member
Chris Frost said:
Two reasons for this...
First, the tube was supplied by Sony as a complete component, so Sim doesn't have experience in reworking a tube.
Ok,I can understand this,even if the crt is externally marked Sim2;but the real answer is the second point.

Second, the time taken for a service engineer to fix the problem would cost more than the tube is worth. That's why they recommend replacement.
:eek:

Thanks for the explanation,but in worse circumstances if I'll break the tube, I'll make change it.

Thanks,Marco

red72

Standard Member
Chris Frost said:
I've repaired a few of these myself now. I would definately recommend repainting the aluminium facia. All the tubes I have seen have had small pit marks in the paint which is why the fungus became a problem in the first place.
What can I use for repainting? I suppose I need paint for hi temperature and not common paint,correct?

What frighten me is if I need some extra liquid coolant,because probably I can't find it (I think it's a coloured one, because Sim2 sets up Sony's tube).Can I add some colourless liquid (probably the colour change a little bit)?

Thanx for helping me,Marco

Chris Frost

I think Glycol is slightly acidic. (Others please correct me if it's alkalie) so you need a paint that will cope with 100 degree temp and is acid resistant.

I would also advise letting the paint cure for 48hrs before you think about reassembling the tube.

If you need Glycol I can supply it. The Sony tubes hold about 50ml. I can supply a 20ml top-up of either clear or green. Drop me a pm if you are interested.

cosaw

Novice Member
Chris as a matter of interest do you do the red as well? How much would it cost for green and red to fill some mec tubes on an 808 with coloured? Is your coloured glycol a guaranteed stable product - where do you get it from? Private message me if you think this is not the place to discuss. Thanks!

Chris Frost

Hi Simon, I spent some time looking in to this last year. To the best of my knowledge nobody has been able to get hold of 'factory direct' coloured glycol on this side of the pond. Just getting hold of clear glycol in the UK has proved to be difficult and expensive :(

There's a guy in the Nordics who tints glycol using ink. He's found it to be colour stable so far, and his experiences have been mirrored over on the AVS forum, so I'm using the same method.

I am happy to supply tinted product for use in Selecos. I've got the mix formula down just right for them. I don't know if the same ratio would work in the Barco tubes. I could supply a tinting kit so you could rework the existing glycol, or supply 150ml each of R & G tinted to someone elses formula. Don't ask me a price yet though as I'd need to work out how to containerise it safely for shipping.

Regards

cosaw

Novice Member
Thanks for the info Chris,

Now you mention it I do think I remember you looking into this. This is encouraging - I knew about the guy you talk about and was mainly interested in his research (over the other methods of colour filtering such as changing to HD-145s or Rosco filters and the like) but was worried about stability issues and colour match. Knowing that other people in the trade such as yourself are employing similar methods gives the technique more credence. Sort of feedback I'm looking for before upgrading to one of the non filterd 8" machines and doing the mod myself.

Anyhow I'll know who to ask if I have any further questions or when I finally get a Barco 808 or an 8" Marquee!

Thanks again Chris. :)