Dust over DLP micro mirrors:Is that true??

J

Jolu_DTS

Hi, all,

Today I talked to someone who installs and configure Audio-visual rooms, and he´s supposed to know what he talks about. Well, he told me that DLP RPTV cause problems when time goes by because of dust over DLP micro mirrors. I had never heard something like that. Can anyone confirm if it´s true, and in case it is, it can be fixed?

It sounds pretty serious to me, if it´s true.

Thanks in advance.

Not heard of this one either but common sense tells me that if dust can settle on it then it can be blown off too surely, hehe. However, it sounds like rubbish to me.

I know that if i was going to do any decorating that involved creating any dust i would make damm sure that i covered / sealed the set against dust.:eek:
All the mirrors are micro sized moving thousands of times a second so any dust might get shaken off if any dust did get on them. :suicide:

I'm no expert on this but...

At a guess I would say the mirrors on these DLP tvs are probably sealed in an air tight housing.

I seem to recall these kind of mutterings when computers first started to use Hard Drives... "yeah HDD are great, but you get dust in'em and they break right away...!"

Which is completey true, they would break instantly. When was the last time dust got in your HDD?

Perhaps the same people who started these DLP gossip/rumours only use there cheap Tiny plasmas to watch soap operars on. After all, the must like a drama. :boring:

Kreep don't know for sure but any thing covering the mirrors would cut down the light they emit mabe the only sealing of them is the Screen & TV box they must have taken everything into account when they designed the sets at least i hope so. :rolleyes:

Jolu_DTS said:
Hi, all,

Today I talked to someone who installs and configure Audio-visual rooms, and he´s supposed to know what he talks about. Well, he told me that DLP RPTV cause problems when time goes by because of dust over DLP micro mirrors. I had never heard something like that. Can anyone confirm if it´s true, and in case it is, it can be fixed?

It sounds pretty serious to me, if it´s true.

Thanks in advance.

Very funny, Dust once got in my CRT TV and stopped the cathode rays from getting to the phosphor, lost a few pixels! :rotfl:

See page 6 from DLP.com attached

Attachments

• 135_Myth.pdf
    251.9 KB · Views: 255
DLPhopefull said:
Very funny, Dust once got in my CRT TV and stopped the cathode rays from getting to the phosphor, lost a few pixels! :rotfl:

See page 6 from DLP.com attached
Great explanation very reasuring & informative
the number of mirrors for a HD2 or HD2+ DMD is 1280X720 = 921,600 mirrors

I hope you won´t be making fun on me. I know i´m an ignorant, but i was just consulting the issue with you. It sounded quite strange to me, but well, i just ordered a Sagem D45 and I don´t want any susprise.

Anyway, Thanks.

Not at all I was just trying to have a laugh while giving out the info. It was the person who gave you that info I was aiming that at. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. good luck with your new purchase, and welcome to the world of DLP I hope you are not disappointed.

That´s ok, DLPhopefull. I misunderstood you. Interesting doc about DLP. I guess i´ll print it and throw right to my "expert's" face. :rtfm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom