Dust or Dead Pixel - Epson TW100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GearHead, Jun 15, 2002.

1. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argghh, agony. I've just received my Epson TW100, its my first projector and I must say I'm really impressed with the quality of the picture. I'm really happy with it but this morning my heart sank when I spotted what looks like two problem pixels.

I've searched the forum to try and figure out if they are dead pixels or dust blobs. I seem to be getting contra-indications. Either way I really need to get it sorted out as its rather noticeable. I'm sure they've 'appeared' on the second day. It would help a lot (particularly knowing if its just dust) if I knew what was causing the problem.

I appear to have two light green blobs (one slightly more noticeable/intense than the other. On close inspection, the problem appears to be the entire pixel but is self contained and doesn't spread to any surrounding pixel.

This is what I get if I display individual Red, Blue, Green, White and Black screens:

• Red - can't see any problem
    • Blue - can't see any problem
    • Green - The two pixels stand out as being slightly higher in intensity
    • White - I can clearly see the two green blobs
    • Black - can't see any problem

As you can tell, the pixels are quite noticeable with white or gray colours.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Allan

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the pixels are truly LIT, they would also show up on the black image. I suspect it's dust. Try to play with the focus a bit and see if you can get a sharp picture of the blobs. If this works, then it's most likely dust. Since you're PJ is very new, i would take it back to the shop for an exchange.

BTW, did you notice any faint vertical banding in the image? I'm interested in buying an TW100 also, but i'm slightly worried about the vertical banding some PJs might have... It's the same effect as AE100 users have reported.

3. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr custard,

I would lean towards the probability also that its dust, indicated by the fact that its not permanently black and its not permanently lit, it only shows up when its on a light colour. However, it does look pixel-perfect in shape which is the cause for doubt. I will try the focus thing but I'll have to arrange to get the screen and projector closer together so I can really inspect the pixels close-too whilst adjusting the manual focus.

The Epson does have slight vertical banding but I don't find it particularly intrusive. Its noticeable on large areas of solid, particularly light colour, (eg the Windows desktop). In a movie I can spot it if I know to look for it. So far no one else in the family has noticed it and I've asked them to be critical of the picture quality.

I was a little concerned about black levels and details within the blacks but they are excellent. It almost seems able to project black. No problems here whatsoever.

If I could just get the pixel problem remedied I would be *very* happy.

Allan

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnx for the info... i hope your pixel problems will be soon sorted out.