• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dust on viewer were the auto focus points are

den9112

Hi, when i look into my viewfinder i can see some dirt(marks) its were the auto focus dots are , i used my air blower on the piece above the mirror as i can see the dirt on it and that got rid of one of the marks however one is still thier and i think i need to physicaly move it but not sure what i can use. If you look at the camera from the front(lens removed) and slightly tilt it back i can see in the bottom right corner the mark blowing is not removing it could anyone please advice what i can use to remove it. Thanks

den9112

If it is not the sensor that needs cleaning why should i have to take it to the camera shop,.....if the viewfinder screen gets a clean when the do the sensor fair enough , and if taking it to the shop is my only option then so be it. ...just wanted to know if i could do it myself .

senu

Distinguished Member
If it is not the sensor that needs cleaning why should i have to take it to the camera shop,.....if the viewfinder screen gets a clean when the do the sensor fair enough , and if taking it to the shop is my only option then so be it. ...just wanted to know if i could do it myself .

Chill... Sir
you should be able to do it yourself but it is rather fiddly. if you mark the mirror or dirty the innards you could end up with even dirtier dust / hair can get and stay in there
Many times vigorous shaking or blowing with dust blower helps

Last edited:

den9112

Thanks for the reply , the mark is on the external part of the focus screen,i have done a google and their is a guide on how to take off and clean the screen, that looks like a job for the shop to me, however the external part i can see and i need to find what cleaning solutions i can use , i can find solutions for the sensor but not the focus screen

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply , the mark is on the external part of the focus screen,i have done a google and their is a guide on how to take off and clean the screen, that looks like a job for the shop to me, however the external part i can see and i need to find what cleaning solutions i can use , i can find solutions for the sensor but not the focus screen

On the 40D- 1D replacing the screen is a DIY thing though Im not sure about th 500D. The 30D is actually different to the 40D in that and less easy to access

YouTube - Canon CPN - Changing the focus screen EOS 40D, 50D, 5D and 1D series

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom