Dust in projector (Optoma h180x)

midlife_crisis

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've bought my first project (second hand, Optoma h180x) and while it's in good condition there seems to be dust in it. I've clean the vents and around the lens and it's made no difference. Not really sure I expected it to. I've pulled out the lamp and cleaned the area as best I can, again that made no difference.

There seems to four screws holding the casing together but having removed them I couldn't see how the case came apart.

There's a slight discolouration to the top left of the picture and definite dust along the bottom of the picture, I can focus on the dust. does this indicate where it might be?

What do I do now? What are the options?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers

One method is to use canned air and blow it out, not sure if this has a sealed light path though?

I've seen mixed responses to canned air, guess i have nothing to loose.

Any idea how to take the casing apart?

I checked for hidden screws. I suspect it's held together with internal clips, I'm not sure of where to start with releasing them.

Planning to have another look with canned air tomorrow. Fingers crossed

I've grabbed some canned air and figured out how to open the casing.

Remove the two screws (one is under a sticker) from lamp cover and remove it. There are another two screws holding the lamp in, I took those out and removed the lamp. Then there are two recessed screws in the bottom and two in the back. I used a spudger tool to prise the top off with is held on with internal clips. I've attached a pic to help out other.

The problem I'm now facing is that I don't know what I'm looking for. I've cleaned the colour wheel with a cotton bud and sprayed the canned air around the lens but I'm not sure what components I need to focus on. I've attached a pic of the internals.

Regarding the issue with the picture, I've attached two picture showing the 'dust' and one that show a discolouration in the corner of the picture. I don't have a projector screen as yet so I'm pointing it at the wall till I get it sorted out.

Where should I focus my cleaning/air can efforts to remove the dust. Any ideas about the discolouration?

Attachments

• back_clip.jpg
    back_clip.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 293
  • internals.jpg
    internals.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 245
  • dust1.jpg
    dust1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 255
  • dust2.jpg
    dust2.jpg