1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust in PJ room & best way to remove it ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I guess many of us suffer with this, due to central heating, soft furnishing, carpets etc etc etc.........

The beam from your projector highlights the dust in the room.
    Say you drag a chair across the room to watch a film, this would I suppose stir up a ton of dust into the air, which normally you would not notice.

So, seeing as how projectors are not that fond of acting like a air hoover for the room. What's the best way to deal with this ?

Is it actually worth trying to filter the air in the room, with or without an ioniser (which is supposed to lay the dust)

A search revealed someone had bought a £50 argos air filter/purifier.

Do you think this is practical ?

Even perhaps blowing the cleaned? air towards the air intake of the projector?

Any hints, tips, for things you can buy or do ?

Cheers

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    As this has had 10 views so far & no comments, I'll ask a question.

Do you notice a lot of dust in the light beam coming from your projector at home?

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Aaah, Poor you...... starting a thread doesn't automatically mean that any of the 10 viewers will be interested enough to answer you............. it also comes across as demanding an answer - I know you don't mean it like that, but not everyone is going to read it that same........

Of course you can see dust in the light path of your projector, but your projector has a dust filter..... just clean it regularly and chill out............. You don't have to have a clinically dust-free room.

All the best,

Sean G.

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Sorry, wasn't meant to be pushy :)

I seem to remember a few comments on this topic before.
    Just recently someone saying they had a filter running in their PJ room and it was keeping the air really clean & also I guess important less stuffy after perhaps a couple of hours in a room watching a movie.
    Also someone else who told me they had some ducting and were filtering the air (via a fan/filter setup) before it got to the projector.
    So many people have posted about dust blobs etc, it seemed a resonable idea, and I already have a fans and filter sheets from a computer experiment from some time ago.
    It would be quite easy to rig up a fan/replacable filter sheets and have it blowing onto the air intake on a projector. I mean it's not going to hurt.

I'd be rather more worried about sealing the systm onto the projector intake, as you'd need to get the air flow balanced I'd guess. But just blowing filtered air onto the air intake sounds resonable.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Alright, as long as you don't hurt yourself doing it......... Kramer says "whatever makes you happy :rolleyes: "...

See ya,

Sean G.

/thinks..... can Kramer ban me for this.......

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what it's all about ;)

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Happy in my own little world :)

And I know you think I'm nut's.

Just seems a shame that we have so many postings from people with projectors in this forum who have dust spots/blobs, and answers suggesting taking these £1000+ machines apart and (with fingers crossed) blowing the insides out hoping to dislodge the dust that worked it's way inside.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a nice cheap simple filter/fan assembly that could perhaps attach to the side of your projector (Velcro perhaps?) that would fan some filtered air towards your intake vent, and at the very least help reduce the dust thats being sucked in by the projector fan.

What I did some time ago was to cut a hole in the side of my PC case and fit (on the inside a papst fan (4 or 5 inch I think) and buy their filter pads and holder.

Even though this (by hepa standards) was not exactly a extreamly fine filter. You'd be supprised at the thick layer of dust that would build up on the surface of the filter material.

Where I work we have £200,000 machines that have filters and fans (5") to keep the circuity cool inside.
    I may nick (ahem borrow) some of the thick blue (as it happens) filter sheet) and perhaps try making something up.

Just not sure how easy it is to work out how well it's cleaning the air. Hmmmmm......

Just a shame all these things you can buy are big floor/desk jobs.
    When a super quiet (Zalaman?) 12v fan and replacable filter sheets in a light plastic case may help.
    If you avoid even just 1 dust blob it would be worth it.

Or is my mind rambling too much ?

8. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    If anyone is interested (I'm aware I may be out on a limb here!)

Here's a link to a .PDF sheet from Papst showing the two filter pads they do.

http://www.papstplc.com/downloads/accessories/airfilters.pdf

I bought them both a few years ago for testing on another project.
    The one on sheet two is a more fluffy! pad and as the specs show it's performance is a lot better.
    They are only a few £ if anyone fancied playing.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I'd be careful about changing the filter material. If it changes the airflow then your projector is likely to overheat , damaged panels , blown bulbs. Most of the lamp based units seem to run to very tight temperature tolerances ( too tight in some cases with the panels showing heat damage after a year or so).

10. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    lol,glad Im not the only freak worried about the dust:laugh:

I think Im more concerned than is necesary partly due to the stories and scaremongering(maybe a bit harsh:p )on these forums.I would like to know if anyone here has some sort of air filter/purifier/ioniser type thingy in their cinema room and believes it to be a big asset.

(Although I must admit,the sort of person that has an air purifier is usually an overly paranoid type of person anyway:D )

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    RTFM has a device in his demo room IIRC, and that was for filtering the dust out of the air in the room. I think he runs it every now and then to get the dust down. Not ideal to run during a film, but I guess you run it for a while before a movie or once a week or something.

Gary.

12. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    No No.......

I was not talking about touching the projector I was talking about making a small box with say a 5" silent fan on one end and some filter material at the other to blow filtered air towards the air intake on the projector so it sucks in this filtered air even before it hits it's own filters.

13. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Well, with what I was thinking about yesterday, in a sort of a spur of the moment decision I decided that buying a GOOD air filer for the whole room would be a good idea.

I had a look in the Argos catalogue and found this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...&langId=-1&searchTerms=4157564&go.x=10&go.y=8

It was the best one they had (also most expensive at £99)
    I looked at the smaller models (which would be fine for the room) but thought that a small one would probably be noisy and working hard to do the job, wheras the best one with 4 speed settings (including sleep mode) would be able to run much slower and still do the same job as the smaller one running fast (bigger fan, slower rpm logic told me)

Oh, boy how wrong I was........

Got it home, unpacked it, turned it on, JESUS CHRIST that's LOUD on the fastest setting.
    Turned it right down the the lowest setting what they call sleep mode so you can sleep with it running...

Hmmmm, well if I had ear defendors and hid under the duvet in the room next to it I may be able to get some sleep.

Yes, this unit does probably work excellently.
    Yes, it really does chuck out the (clean) air.
    But there's no way on earth even on the lowest setting you could ever run it in the same room as you are during a film.

Taking it back tomorrow !!!!!

Not sure if I should try a cheaper model from Argos now ?

14. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    lol,I know,why dont u just turn the hoover on and wave it around in the air for 5 mins a day,that should do it:clap:

edit:sorry ,its been a long day:blush:

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    he he, yeah no problem..... :)

I thought I could I suppose just run the thing for half a hour so far BEFORE watching a film, but I really wanted something that would sit on a shelf quietly filtering the air keeping it fresh and non stuffy over the 2 hours you may be sitting there.

I wish these firms were honest and gave a db measurement on fan products for the home.
    It even says in Argos's catalogue "Quiet in operation."

I mean what does that mean ?

To me that says Quiet in a normal household environment, but to be honest at home during the evening you would not want it on any more than sleep mode in the same room as you....

If anyone can suggest any other makes/models I'd love to hear any recommendations.

16. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an air purifier/ioniser thing - definately see a difference in the ammount of dust landing on furniture - probably 60% less. The ionised air is nice too. However, being slightly allergic to dust makes it a great buy for me.

Is it really worth it? The not much dusting and clean air is good, dunno if it really does bugger all for the PJ tho - can't hurt ;)

17. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Not much dusting eh?hmmmmm..

18. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Yes - I like the sound of that too. :)

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ..........Noi this is a thread Mrs. Ritz might like....... anyone got any good recipes.....:D

Sean G.

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Popcorn butter mixes anyone? :)

21. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tempest. I've posted several time in the past on the issues of dust and grime. I actually use a simple secondary filter that feeds(in my case the panny 100) the pJ filter with already filtered air.

The minus's of this approach is extra noise due to the extra fan.

Plus's are the panny filter hardly ever needs cleaning.

All I used was a short section off the cardboard roll used for carpets. A cooling fan (pc type) from Maplins and very inexpensive power supply (voltage matched to fan) and finally sponge/foam to act as a filter. The air is drawn through the filter and fed to the panny air/filter intake.

Even though I could have done a better job it's completley effective. I've used it since March this year and have cleaned the panny filter twice as there was hardly anything on it.

I'm sure if noise of the secondry fan was a problem then I've seen high -tolerence fans with better bearings etc that will reduce noise considerably.

One more thing. Due to concerns around heat with the panny many run the fans at a higher setting to help with cooling. The only problem with this is more muck will get through what is after all a very thin filter. Here the additional filtered air/fan actually helps push the air through more efficiently but not at the cost of more muck getting into the optics.

22. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    LTJ....

Yes, I remember you mentioning this a few months back.

2 questions for you:

1: How close to the pannies inlet is your device ?
    Are you a few inches away or are you actually touching it ?

2: How are you holding this unit in place ?

One of those quiet Zalaman fans (or one from papst even)
    If you noted from my postings I actually have some of Papst filers sheets (also some from work) and I could easily make up something similar to your description. I like the sound of it.

I mean, what have you got to loose ?
    At worst you make no difference... At best you might avoid extra dust in the projector.

23. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning tempest. In anwser to your questions
    1)I've been running this extra fan since March this year.
    2) It just rests next to the air intake (on the left off panny if viewing from behind) about half/quarter inch away.

It has been said that you need to be careful not to resrict the air intake, but if working properly i.e the filter on the extra fan allows genrous air movement it should actually help with the cooling due to the fact that filtered air is being gently pushed into the panny's intake. In other words the panny's system is not drying to suck in static air it's already going it's way.

I've purchased a digital camera today so I'll post a shot of the panny and filter ASAP.

All the best
    Lawrence

Oh yes one last item on my dust/grunge in the optics crusade.
    In my lounge I have a rather expensive ornate crystal Chandelier.

Now I cleaned this (It's detachable,but a pain ) 6 months ago. The thing is absolutely rotten. There's patently no fan to draw air across this device just heat rising in the room. I hardly have that particular

24. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Like the sound of it.
    For little effort It sounds worth it.

In my mind if I can spend say £20 to stop a £1000 item (example figures) from having problems it seems worth that little bit of effort. and with all these dust blobs postings, having some pre filtered air gently blowing against the air intake of any projector seems a very good resonable idea. Unless you live in a operating theatre with zero dust.

Will have to ponder a design.

Look foward to seeing your photo's

25. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I was looking at the Argos one you were looking at. I've seen one second hand so I may give it a go just to see what it's like. The electrostatic ones appear to be better more expensive, but as the room is only used for films, and is rarley accessed for anything else, the only dust that can get in there is via the access hatch and air vents.

I've modified a quilted air filter to fit over the room air vents so that should reduce incoming dust etc there, and with the air filter running, it should cut the dust down a fair bit (maybe) :)

What was it that made the fan noisy do you think? I may strip it down and mount the fan via rubber bushings, but if it's the fan cutting through the air, there's little that can be done I would think.

IIRC, anything under 30db is supposed to be quiet, and that's the low setting of that unit. Like my projector though, if I'm near it, I can hear it. What was yours like when you were 5 or 6 feet away from it in quiet mode?

I'll probably put it on for a few hours befor a movie, and see if it makes much difference.

Gary.

26. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Gary.......

Well I took the Argos one back (£99)
    They actually sold me the wrong model.
    It was supposed to be a Bionaire 625 but they sold me a 615, which they don't stock !!!!

Somone cocked up in the stores.

Take it from me it's NOISEY and I mean far far too loud to use during a film.
    It's not the motor noise it's the air noise.

There was another delongi one I read a review on and that also was noisey.

I'm thinking, these have hepa filters, and I'm sure a filter this fine has to have a certain amount of suction to pull the air thru the thing.

It certainly pushed a LOT of air thru it, even at low quiet (ho ho) mode, and you just can't use it.

I think the best and quietest idea would be as discussed above, to make a take a quiet 12v PC fan, and create some tube type device with a filter paper over one end, and just blow this pre filtered air right over the inlet of your projectors air vent.

That way you are just pre cleaning the air that's getting sucked in and reducing the dust that's getting into your VERY expensive bit of kit.

I'm just so supprised the amount of dust in a room.
    Just walking about and lifting the odd box, magazine, etc etc, then looking at the beam of light coming from the projector lens, it's looks like a dust soup !!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I know what you mean - I see it floating about too. Fortunately my pj has sealed optics, but I'd like to reduce the amount of dust etc so that the rest of the airpath remains clean(er).

I'll probably just run it during the day, and turn it of during the movie. I managed to get one cheap from ebay, so I'll let you know the results in a few weeks.

Gary.

28. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right! I hope these attachments appear.
    There should be three.

1) This is the foam I've used as a filter on my "pre-panny" filter.
    I made the thing last May/June. I took these shots just before christmas. When I actually compared the grime on the in situ foam to the clean foam-I have to say even I was shocked!. That's 7-8 months worth of grime that had beed filtered before reaching the panny's filter.

2) Several shots showing the heat sink, fan and filter in place.

I could have made a far neater shop but I'm a sloppy so and so

OK file too big send less

Attached Files:

29. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Yeah, that was my intention and I may still get the PROPER model from Argos or Comet.

I don't think anything can push through as much hepa filtered air at such a resonable price (£99) than that Bionaire 625 model.

I did see some fancy quiet metal ones, but were over £300

As you say, just run it in the room before you start....

I may just hose down the room instead :)

30. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay seems to have sent more than I intended.
    Just out of interested, the scene shot was a channel 5 news presenter via sky digital.

Lawrence