Dust in Lens - should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by harry66, Apr 23, 2007.

1. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Still a Newbie so apologies if this is a dumb question - I can see loads of posting about dust on sensors but none (when I searched) on dust in lenses.

Just bought a used 18-70mm DX Nikon lens online and it has got a number of dust / fibres inside the lens.
    Have taked a few photos with high and low aperture setting and cant see any obvious effect of the dust / fibres in the lens - so should I be worried?

I bought the lens 'cos it seemed a good deal for £105 inc Postage. But once I saw all the dust I felt a bit disappointed. I have bought 3 other used lenses from ebay / other used camera shops but none had anywere near this level of dust inside them - often no visible dust at all!

2. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    The "general" opinion is that you shouldn't be worried about a few dust specks in the lens. As you said, it isn't affecting image quality, so stay calm.

Some zoom lenses extend significantly when you zoom in. If you extend quickly, a partial vacuum is created inside the lens (its internal volume increases significantly) so air is sucked in. Any dust in that air can therefore also get sucked in. Most lenses have very fine brushes or similar around the zoom rings to prevent dust getting in but they aren't always 100% effective. The Canon 17-55 is said to be notorious for this, and I extend mine gently (when I remember) and all is fine so far.

3. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks for the reassurance.

Spoke to the store earlier and they agreed to knock off £25 to compensate for the dust and lack of lens hood - so I guess at that price I can live with the dust.

Cheers