1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust in LCD projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by colemric, Jan 24, 2001.

1. colemric

colemric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am aware that dust is recognised as a problem for LCD projectors. I am particularly interested in the Sony VW10HT - is dust a big problem with this machine?
    How does the problem manifest itself in terms of performance?
    Does it make a difference if the projector is ceiling mounted (and therefore upside down)?
    How can you minimise/prevent the problem?
    What do you do if it does get dusty?

Any input greatly appreciated.

------------------
    "Build it and they will come"

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The DVDpicture forum gives some (apparently) good advice on what should be done with the Sony if you look at the FAQ.

I own one of these projectors and have to say (touch wood) that I've never had any problems with dust and I installed it into a room which was just built, so if there's going to be any dust getting in, that would have happened by now.

I also have no problems with the black levels, which is another area where LCD projectors in general get a bad press. Like watching any TV, you get used to the level of black being produced and everything else is then relative to that level. Properly setup (and the FAQ tells you how to do this with the aid of an Avia test disc and the service menus) my picture is sensational to my eyes.

One thing you can't beat a LCD for is the ease of setup and this was an important factor for me. The fact that this particular projector is dead easy to set up for widescreen and other aspect ratios, being the only one available with a true native 16:9 capability (at the moment at least), is a huge advantage.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Echo all the comments in the above post from Black5. I've had my ceiling mounted VW10HT in use for some 380 hours now. I have cleaned the air filter once. There is, as yet, no visible effect from dust penetration.

What does dust do? Well, it causes diffused (usually slightly brighter) spots of red, green or blue. If you defocus the picture, you can see the individual threads in focus.

The effect is cured by removing the cover and blowing the optics clean with an engineer's aerosol air blower.

As I say, I've yet to need to do this with mine.

One more point - I gather that these things don't take kindly to living in a smoking environment - evidently the smoke condenses on the optics giving them a brown coating. Recommend you disallow smoking in your home cinema.

5. colemric

colemric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Clark - that's a very useful link.

------------------
    "Build it and they will come"