Dust cover for AV receiver

kofsw4

Standard Member
I need to put an av receiver on top of a 12ft high cupboard (it's the only place it will fit). The top of the cupboard is open with plenty of space above and to the side so plenty of ventilation but also huge amounts of dust. The receiver has lots of vents in the top cover so I was wondering if there was anything I put on top of it to prevent dust getting in while allowing enough heat to escape? This is in a bedroom so the receiver won't really be pushed too hard but I understand that overheating is potentially a bigger issue than dust.

Because the cupboard is so tall, frequent dusting is not a viable option but I could get up there once or twice a year to clean out a filter or something like that. It was quite a job getting the amp up there so regularly bringing it down and blowing it out isn't really an option either.

Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks

mushii

Distinguished Member
In short you should never place anything on top or on the sides of an Amp / AVR that cover the vents. They are there for a reason, convective cooling. In all honesty it’s not a good location for lots of reasons, as you sometimes need to physically power down or replug connections. If it is the only location you may need to buy tall steps.

elessar

Novice Member
My receiver is also staying "in the open" and I am unsure what to do regarding dust getting in. In the long term dust can harm the cooling too.

My receiver is also staying "in the open" and I am unsure what to do regarding dust getting in. In the long term dust can harm the cooling too.
Try some usb fans.

jamieu

Give it a hover now and again with your hovers soft brush attachment.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Give it a hover now and again with your hovers soft brush attachment.

IMG_0793-1.jpg

???

Dasiz

Dasiz

jamieu

S3rv3d

I’ve just cut the back out of my IKEA besta to fit my receiver in. I’ve been looking for a solution to close the back off to stop dust.

I’ve been look at at plastic dust mesh for pc fans

Computer PC Dustproof Cooler Fan Case Cover Dust Filter Mesh Roll 1m Length 169 | eBay

Could maybe place a sheet on top? Or make some kind of frame and place over the Receiver with mesh on all sides. Will still need to clean/hoover it but stops it from getting inside.

My best solution so far was to use a sheet stuck on the back of the cabinet using magnetic tape and cut the holes for cables. Also run a fan exhausting the cabinet.

mushii

Distinguished Member
If people are that bothered about dust, maybe connect an irrigation tube, placed at the back of the AVR with the irrigation holes facing to the front, to a can of air-duster. Once a week you could give it a quick squirt and that would blow all of the dust off the top of the AVR.

kofsw4

Standard Member
I’ve just cut the back out of my IKEA besta to fit my receiver in. I’ve been looking for a solution to close the back off to stop dust.

I’ve been look at at plastic dust mesh for pc fans

Computer PC Dustproof Cooler Fan Case Cover Dust Filter Mesh Roll 1m Length 169 | eBay

Could maybe place a sheet on top? Or make some kind of frame and place over the Receiver with mesh on all sides. Will still need to clean/hoover it but stops it from getting inside.

My best solution so far was to use a sheet stuck on the back of the cabinet using magnetic tape and cut the holes for cables. Also run a fan exhausting the cabinet.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I think something like that mesh is what I was looking for, even if it stops half the dust getting in and needs cleaning itself every so often, I think it will be better than nothing.

The receiver has class G amps so doesnt run too hot and has lived in a cabinet for the last ten years without issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom