1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dust blobs on Panasonic PT-LC 75E

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gazz, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    newbie here, so please bear with me.
    I own a Panasonic LCD Projector, model PTLC75E, which I've had about 3 years. In the projected image, there are increasingly noticeable purplish blotches appearing, and the centre of the image is starting to exhibit a yellowish, roughly circular patch.
    I believe the purplish patches are the result of dust build-up in the optical assembly and I'm hoping that the yelowish patch is due to the same thing (would that be likely in your opinion?)
    If that is indeed the problem, does anyone know if it's easy to get into this model and clean the dust off, or is it a service centre job?

Many thanks all for allowing my first post to be a plea for help.

Regards
    Gazz

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    the blotches are probably dust, but i think the yellowish patch is probably more serious though, i think this is probably heat soak damage which normaly happens over a long period of time with lcd projectors and is a result of the blue polarizor degrading. These can be replaced but i dont know at what cost, also the dust removal is very straight forward and is just a case of popping the lid off and using canned air(taking care to keep the can upright to avoid letting any liquid come out) and spraying int o the panels. I have removed dust from my panasonic a100 and a300 many times. Do a search for some pointers.

3. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that Chic,
    I'll get myself an air spray. As regards the blue polarizer, anyone know if Panasonic (or anywhere else) supply them?

Bit apprehensive of changing it myself, though. Has anyone done this and is it reasonably easy, or is there a large risk of doing some damage?

Thanks once again
    Gazz

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    it might only be dust, but i doubt it, what to do is clean it first to see if it makes any difference, changing the polarizer can be difficult as you could put all the panels out of alignment, i think the polarizer only costs about £80 but its a job i wouldnt do myself, i dont know how much panasonic would charge to do it.

5. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    latest update - have taken the projector into a local authorised service agent. Basically they're going to charge me £10 for an estimate which apparently just involves them boxing it up and sending it to Panasonic who want to charge me a further £76 for an estimate.
    I'm a bit opposed to dishing out £86 just to find out how much more I've got to dish out (especially if they come back with a figure of £500 quid or something).
    Does anyone know of a service/repair centre they can recommend, or do you think it's better to swallow it and tell Panasonic to go ahead? I'm still wondering about doing it myself, although I haven't found anyone who may be able to supply a polariser.
    Thanks all - awaiting your collective thoughts with interest
    Gazz

6. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all - any suggestions anyone? If not I'll bite the bullet and tell Panny to do their thing.

Thanks
    Gazz

7. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well - I asked Panny (or rather their authorised sevice centre) to check it out.
    They told me I'd have to pay them £88 for them to tell me how much more I'd have to pay them to repair it, so i did.
    They then told me it would cost £1,065 :eek: to replace the blue polariser plus leaking green and red lcd panels (which to be honest I didn't think needed replacing).
    I told them this is far too expensive to contemplate a repair, so they're going to send it back, untouched, but they are (of course) keeping the £88 and refuse to supply the parts to me or anyone else to repair it cheaper.
    Is it me or does this sound like a bit of a rip-off?

8. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Standard procedure these days it seems, but yes I agree that these charges are extortionate, especialy when you have the pay the dealer as well.

9. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I suppose I could try to hunt down a filter which is clear in the middle and yellowish towards the perimeter to blend in with my central yellow patch, then turn the blue gain up.
    Suppose in the end, though, it'll be a new PJ on the cards. Looking for a 4:3 XGA which can throw a 105" diagonal image from around 10'6"
    You're probably saying "What? Why doesn't he go for 16:9?" but I like to watch 4:3 programming as big as poss (with my room size + shape a 16:9 pj would give me reduced image height rather than increased image width)

So...any recommendations from anyone for a decent pj of that ilk?

Thanks
    Gazz