1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dust blob on tw100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by warboy, Sep 11, 2003.

1. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did search but couldn't find anything - can anyone tell me how to remove a couple of dust blobs from a TW100
    thanks

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I guess you'll need to open her up and do the compressed air trick. Will Epson not cover that under warranty as opening her up will invalidate your 3 year warranty :(

3. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    price japan!
    It's not a huge problem: 2 small green blobs, unoticeable most of the time (unless you knoe they're there!)

4. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    How small ? Are they pixel sized ?

Allan

5. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, huge compared to pixels, more ike tennis balls, but very faint

6. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, huge compared to pixels, more ike tennis balls, but very faint

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I thought someone posted (was it you?) that the Epson warranty was worldwide. In which case why not see if Epson wil deal with it?

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, it was you in this thread

Will they not cover it. They should.

9. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Warboy (U2 ?)

Definitely dust blobs then. The TW100 seems a little prone to the odd one or two mis-firing pixels which show up as a faint green glowing pixels under certain conditions. Only noticeable on test screens, not real images.

Messiah,

Still happy with the Sharp 10k ? I've had my TW100 for about 15 months now which is an absolute age in this game. I'm just beginning to feel the first faint symptoms of upgradeitis and feel that in about 4 or 5 months time it will start to get to me. Half tempted to look at the Sony HS20 when its available but suspect that I will need 2000:1 CR or greater to get a really satisfying hit.

Allan

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Allan

Yep, still love the Sharp 10k and have no desires to change it yet. Mind you I was looking at the screenies of the LPX in the link I gave above and thought "why did I get rid of that?".

My only problem at the moment is I feel guilty when I tuck myself away in the HC room and watch a film so I end up only watching about one film a fortnight at the moment. Mind you, I also spend way too much time on these forums :blush:

I'd definitely recommend you take a look at a DLP. The HT1000 would be a nice move or even better an MT8, S2/3, Z10k/12k, etc. Only go demo'ing when you are ready to upgrade :)

11. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If epson will clean this under warranty(?)make sure no one tries to do this in your house,as i too had dust inside the lens and an engineer broke mine trying to clean out on site:mad: :mad:
    It then took many phone calls and three weeks before it was finaly fixed and returned!!!!
    They did offer a loan or replacement but epson are no longer stocking the tw100 and only have a few left that all have DEAD pixels!!!
    Not sure what will happen if mine goes wrong again?Refund anyone:rotfl:
    Hope you have more luck with your TW100 though!!!

12. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone.
    yes Messiah, epson did confirm that it would be covered under warranty.
    However, are they likely to accept responsibility for the development of 'dust blobs' post purchase? I probably wouldn't if I were them, it's not as if they're dead pixels, it's surely dependant on viewing environment etc.
    Besides which, i only really notice them if I actively look, when it's a very dark background. And I'm finding the TW110 so good that I am usually so engrossed that it doesn't bother me anyway!