1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust and my LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sniffer66, Jan 20, 2005.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    Hi

I've had a Panny plasma for a while but wanted something bigger for watching the occasional DVD. I recently managed to get hold of a 2nd hand Panny LC56E data projector for a few hundred quid.

Its only SVGA but fed from my HTPC - Xcard\Sweetspot/Dscaler the pic is good enough for a dvd once a week.

Only problem is that I've noticed some pink/yellow blobs dotted around projected image. They are more obvious the lighter the image ! Did some research and it appears these may be dust. I've taken a sheet of white A4 and can bring these into sharp focus about 12" away from the lens. They appear as lots of little jagged edged dots.

Did some more reasearch and there are guides on taking the PJ lid off and blowing compressed air from a can onto the LCD plates. I followed one of these VERY carefully last night and its made no difference whatsover.

I'm now in 3 minds as to whether I've not just cleared the dust off and should keep trying, its something else entirely or maybe I should get it to a service centre.

The service centre option worries me as I'm not sure of the cost and I've read horrow stoies of how units have come back wiht a worse problem than when they started :eek:

Any suggestions ??

Thanks

2. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try displaying a completely white image on to a white screen / wall. If the images still look like yellow blobs (or burn marks) you may have over heated your projector. One of the projectors I owned had exactly what you are describing happen to it and it needed the green and blue analysers and polarisers changing. The funny thing was the temperature light didn't come on which leads me to conclude that it only senses bulb temperature but the whole unit used to get really hot.

In the end I had to have it fixed twice (both times under warranty). The first time it came back and suffered exactly the same problem after about 9 months. The second time it came back there was a vast improvement in over all system temperature, the whole unit was much much cooler with a lot more air flow though it. There was also light spilling out the back (near where the bulb is) where there wasn't before. When the analysers and polarisers failed the first couple of times I think there was probably something blocking the air flow out of the unit but the second time it went in for service they must have cleared the blockage as well. I spoke, at length, to the guy who fixed it the second time and he didn't mention doing any other work but it was a very different machine after that service.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    dooz - not likely, if they can be brought into sharp focus. This IS dust (or something else that has damaged or lodged on the LCDs).

4. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    Thanks for the replies.

As I said I only spend a few hundred quid on Ebay - you takes your chances I suppose !! :) Given that its going to be an out of warranty service charge - could get pricey. Any ballpark figures on a full dust clean cost ??

Its something I've learnt to live with for one dvd a week but I've found a few articles about getting to the plates and cleaning them directly. I've a fair idea what I'm doing due to my background. Worth a go or leave it to the pro's ??

Also forgot to mention that the PJ and the screen both REEK of tobacco smoke - I never asked !! It was a small flat (i collected) - I'm wondering whether it could be tar etc ?? If it collects on wallpaper why not a lens/plate !!

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Yes, tar will gunk up a projector just like the lungs. What does the dust filter look like? Gooey?
    ...PJ

6. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    Pretty clear actually - like its been cleaned !!

Its got about 1300 hrs on the clock