Duron Athlon Sempron ?! Help !

richjthorpe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

With funds low but I really want a computer, I thought of getting a second hand one and building upon that, changing components when I get the extra cash.

If I pick up a PC with a Duron Socket A chip, would I be able to swap that for an Athlon (XP?) Socket A chip or maybe up to a Sempron if they are socket A ?! A friend seems to think it would work but I can't believe it would be that easy.

Any advice ?

Thanks,

Richie.

Althought the CPU will physically be able to fit in the slot, the motherboard may not be able to run it at the higher speed you desire - it depends on what that motherboard supports.

A new mobo can be had quite cheaply, say £40?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I think your best bet is to find out what motherboard you got, go to the manufacturer's website and see if there is a latest BIOS you could use. This should update the list of supported processors by your motherboard.

If not buy a new motherboard, even the top of the line Athlon XP motherboards cost about £50 inc VAT and get yourself a mobile Athlon XP chip. These are identical in terms of physical characteristics but produce much less heat. The thing with these is that you could get away with passive cooling rather than using loud fans etc.

Again these chips are quite cheap - or cheap as chips if you prefer :)

Hope it helps,

L

deleted member said:
Althought the CPU will physically be able to fit in the slot, the motherboard may not be able to run it at the higher speed you desire - it depends on what that motherboard supports.

A new mobo can be had quite cheaply, say £40?

lisa

What should I be looking out for on the old Mobo then ? What speeds will a new chip need or will that depend on the chip ?

Cheers,

Richie.

Also, socket A and Ahtlon XP's are no longer in production from what I have read. I replaced my blown motherboard with another identical socket A board only because it was easier to rebuild it.

If I built another PC. I think it would be a Socket 472 Sempron to give is max future upgradebility.

richjthorpe said:
What should I be looking out for on the old Mobo then ? What speeds will a new chip need or will that depend on the chip ?

Cheers,

Richie.
If you are definitely wanting to upgrade the CPU you will need the make and model number of the mobo then check the Manufacturers website to see what max CPU it will support, then buy them both together in case the CPU you want goes out of production!

Probably as easy and cheap to just buy a mobo / CPU / memory bundle from somewhere online that are doing good offers....

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom