Durham 3 speakers do I need an upgrade?

RobertGordon

Standard Member
I have just replaced my Marantz PM7200KI amplifier with a Marantz PM8006. I have had my Castle Accoustics Durham 3 speakers since 2005. I also have a REL sub-woofer.
Do I need to upgrade? If so any recommendations? To be honest I'm reasonably happy with my set up but would be happy to consider alternative speakers.
The size of the sitting room is around 5m x 4m max.

Orobas

I have just replaced my Marantz PM7200KI amplifier with a Marantz PM8006. I have had my Castle Accoustics Durham 3 speakers since 2005. I also have a REL sub-woofer.
Do I need to upgrade? If so any recommendations? To be honest I'm reasonably happy with my set up but would be happy to consider alternative speakers.
The size of the sitting room is around 5m x 4m max.
The obvious question is... do you need to upgrade.
As you have only upgraded the amp.. you are only slightly changing the overall sound as it is from the same manufacturer.
If the system still sounds good to you.. then keep it as is :)

"IF" the sound no longer sounds right .. then you can look at alternatives..

RobertGordon

Standard Member
I tend to agree with you, thanks for your reply, it was very useful. I will stick with the Castle Durham 3s, which back in 2004 were liked by both "Gramophone" and "Hi Fi Choice" magazines.

Orobas

I tend to agree with you, thanks for your reply, it was very useful. I will stick with the Castle Durham 3s, which back in 2004 were liked by both "Gramophone" and "Hi Fi Choice" magazines.
Only changes i can possibly see you having to make is a slight tweak on the Rel .. to adjust to the newer marantz's sound

RobertGordon

Standard Member
Good advice, I did a bit of tweaking including repositioning the REL and making new power cables using Belden cables for the amp and CD also bought a Tacima mains conditioner from Amazon.
Thanks for your interest - appreciated.

Helix Hifi

Good advice, I did a bit of tweaking including repositioning the REL and making new power cables using Belden cables for the amp and CD also bought a Tacima mains conditioner from Amazon.
Thanks for your interest - appreciated.
Hello! I have the exact same amplifier in like you have. Great amplifier. I’m very happy with it.

Still I’m wondering on how you well gain anything by adding 3 pin ( earthed power cables), since the amplifier has 2 pin, not 3 pin connections. The amplifier is double isolated, so the electricity goes straight to chassis should you be very unlucky.

The point is if can you use 3 pin power cables if the amplifier is only 2 pin from the power outlet.

RobertGordon

Standard Member
The main benefit in making my own power cables was :-
1)Belden cable is shielded
2)The cables can be cut to an optimum length
I followed the advice of Tarun aka "The British Audiophile" on You-Tube. I find his videos helpful and informative. The video was about good housekeeping.
My mains supply is 3 pin (UK).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom