• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Durabrand CG5660-M issues and version nos

MidnightOwl

Hi
Anyone own the cheap Durabrand CG5660-M from ASDA? Are you getting issues with intermittent audio loss and the remote control being out of sync (e.g: press volume up and get the EPG menu!!).The later issue does sort itself out but is annoying.:mad:

Also, I have two of these and they have different versions (V6.2(UK) and V3.9(SUCC)). Anyone know what the latest version should be or if there will be a software download for either? Infact the 3.9 version is more stable than 6.9!!

Apart from the intermittent issues they are fine.

MO

Fred Smith

Not a definitive answer but my experience of these boxes. I bought two last year when Asda were selling them for £10. Both are (V6.2(UK). A friend of the wife got one about six months earlier hers is V3.9(SUCC), I installed all three hence why I know their firmware revisions.

Mine are not in regular use, wife's friends is. I have not found any issues and the wife's friend has not reported any. Have you thought of powering then off and on occasionally. Does cure a multitude of sins.

As regarding firmware updates I have not seen any since I purchased mine seven months ago approx.

Last edited:

MidnightOwl

Thanks,

I'll be giving that a go.

It seems that these boxes do not get software upgrades.These boxes have now been rebranded and sold in black.

However, I'm thinking of buying another box (ASDA LE STB0804), <£20. It states on the box that its software version is V0.3!!! But no digital 'tick' symbol, which is making me wonder if this box is future proof (given the old Daewoo boxes being made redundant several months ago).

M:cool:

Fred Smith

I was in my local Asda tonight. Both the Asda box you mention and a new Pacific also on the shelf are Vestel clones. In fact the Pacific is almost identical in styling to my SEG CDST900 bought last autumn (which is also a Vestel clone). My SEG came with FW V0.3 but was recently updated to V1.4 and then a week later to V1.7. The V1.7 firmware giving you a third choice of EPG, Teletext.

While I can't guarantee it I don't think the lack of a digital tick will mean the box won't work in the future. Infact my SEG has the said digital tick on the outer carton.

Regarding the Daewoo (split NIT fiasco), I have two Labgear DTT100's, same box inside different styling outside, so yes I have already been caught out.

MidnightOwl

Thanks for that. I might just 'bite the bullet' and go for the ASDA box.

Any idea if the durabrand boxes ever get firm ware upgrades?

scribbler101

I have had a Bush stb for 4 years and only recently got a first and only upgrade - I think to cover the NIT change.

If it ain't broke...

MidnightOwl

Well I bit the bullet and bought the ASDA's LESTB0804 a few weeks back, so I’ve stapled together a quick review below:

It’s running version 0.3 software which appears on a few other ASDA boxes (Pacific and Simz). I suspect that it has missed a software upgrade at some time!

The picture quality looks good (better than the Durabrand).
Remote Control: The directional arrows do not adjust the volume or change channels. One has to use the dedicated buttons to do this (unlike the Duranbrand).

Viewing ‘Guide’ takes a few seconds to kick in (i.e. displays ‘no information’ for a few secs then comes up with the necessary info)! The Durabrand cg5660 is instantaneous compared to this box.
Also, EPG is pretty fragmented and illustrates a limited number of channels at a time.

It’s got two scart connectors and uses c.6W power. Cost just under £20.
On the whole, considering the price and picture quality, I’m happy with it.

winston2010

It states on the box that its software version is V0.3!!! But no digital 'tick' symbol, which is making me wonder if this box is future proof (given the old Daewoo boxes being made redundant several months ago).

M:cool:

No box is future proof as we don't know what is going to happen in the future. However you would be a bit nearer to future proofing by buying an HD box with DVB-T2 such as the box being sold by Tescos online for £19-99.

The Daewoo split NIT problem was because Daewoo did not manufacture boxes to the correct spec and as such they should have been made to replace them under the Sale of Goods act.

MidnightOwl

That sounds like a good deal. Regarding Daewoo, as others on here, I did ask for a free replacement to no avail. Disappointing really as the original box cost £80 (could buy 4 Tesco HD boxes for that).... ho hum!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom