1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate songs

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DustySox, Feb 19, 2005.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I have a computer downstairs where I rip all cd's into itunes etc. I have another computer upstairs that also has itunes and is connected to pc downstairs on a network. My problem is that the PC upstairs has duplicate all songs twice. I have un installed itunes in the hope that all music would be lost and then re install itunes again and then using add files could then across network update all songs again, thus leaving me with one copy of each song.

Any thoughts on this? As it's driving me mad

:lease:

Kind regards

Darren

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just uninstalling iTunes will not delete the MP3's/AAC's as they are stored in a folder and iTunes is just the programme through which you view the tracks.
    I guess what has happened is that you have allowed iTunes to search for MP3's/AAC's across the whole network rather than just the local disk. Therefore iTunes has found a copy of each track in a folder on each of the networked computers and, in typical computer logical style, thought that they were different tracks.
    Two possibilities, just put the mp3's/AAC's on one computer and then allow iTunes on each of the PC's to access the one folder. This would also mean tha you would only have to rip a new CD to one hard drive. The problem with this is that the PC with the tracks on the hard drive would need to be on all the time for you to access the tracks from the other one.
    Or put the MP3's/AAC's on the hard drives for each computer, but only allow iTunes to search for the tracks on the local hard drive. That way you will only have one copy per instance of iTunes, but would have to rip any new CD's to each PC in turn.
    Hope this makes sense!

3. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Simon100,

Thankyou for getting back to me. I "switched off" network connection, and uninstalled itunes and all traces of music. Re-installed itunes, reconfigured network connection and then "added folder" from PC with ripped music on. Bingo job done, all sorted.

I did ring Apple to resolve this, however for £39 ish (can't remember correct amount) they possibly might beable to help. Blimey what a rip off!!

Thank gawd for these forums, a fountain of knowledge without "showing da money"!!!!

Kind regards

Darren

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad you got it sorted.
    I agree about these, and other forums, some really good information from lots of people. I am learning all the time.