• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Duped by Dell Lead Time

Edawkram

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

As I suspect my mobo has died in my existing desktop I thought this was a good excuse to upgrade. So after a bit of shopping around and despite knowing the potential 'customer service' pitfalls I decided to go for a Dell XPS (it was the 5% discount that nailed it). When ordering I was fully given the impression that the lead time was about 2 weeks, but 2 weeks having passed I logged in to check progress only to be appalled that the actual estimated delivery date was 7 weeks!!! Gggrrrrrrr And now that my order shows as 'in production' I can't cancel it. Does anyone know if there is an actual way to cancel an order in this status with Dell?

Clearly Dell must know that if they were straight about a 7 week lead time many people would not bother. But, I am guessing they know once they have your hard-earned cash there is not much most people can do about it....

Cheers,

Sparky

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

As I suspect my mobo has died in my existing desktop I thought this was a good excuse to upgrade. So after a bit of shopping around and despite knowing the potential 'customer service' pitfalls I decided to go for a Dell XPS (it was the 5% discount that nailed it). When ordering I was fully given the impression that the lead time was about 2 weeks, but 2 weeks having passed I logged in to check progress only to be appalled that the actual estimated delivery date was 7 weeks!!! Gggrrrrrrr And now that my order shows as 'in production' I can't cancel it. Does anyone know if there is an actual way to cancel an order in this status with Dell?

Clearly Dell must know that if they were straight about a 7 week lead time many people would not bother. But, I am guessing they know once they have your hard-earned cash there is not much most people can do about it....

Cheers,

Sparky

This has been discussed in detail for quite a few months now going back before Christmas due to Dell have supplier difficulties, accepting too many orders and thus everything being one giant mess for them. Have you tried, ringing them directly?

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
When you entered into the contract with them (placed the order) what was the posted delivery wait?

Edawkram

Standard Member
I have emailed them twice over the past week and have recevied no response at all. It seems difficult to get the phone number as I just keep getting redirected to FAQ's in the support pages.....

The turnaround time when I placed the order originally indicated I could expect delivery in about two weeks.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
The turnaround time when I placed the order originally indicated I could expect delivery in about two weeks.

If that was what they led you to believe and they made no attempt to advise you otherwise, then provided that a delivery time of 2 weeks was the basis of the contract which you entered into, then they have broken the contract. What was stated on the order acknowledgement? You may need to write to them making that clear. Get proof of postage.

I believe that under Dells T&Cs you are allowed to refuse delivery of the goods and apply for a refund however if you are not brave enough to wait, then start a dialog with the credit card company with whom you also have a contract, they can refund your payment and get the money back from Dell.

We are seeing too many enquiries on this forum re: Dells T&Cs so maybe you could have a chat with your local trading standards officer. Let us know how you get on.

extremelydodgy

Established Member
You should always get a shipping date on the order confirmation - and subsequent updates regarding any delays by email.

In my general experience the bigger the delay slippage after the order, the more likely a lemon... but that aside, I've never had to actually go and find out a slipped lead time in the matter you're describing.

See below for where the estimated date of delivery would be on your order confirmation: Above the description of the system you ordered. What does that say?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom