Duo Acoustics

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by R88PER, Mar 18, 2006.

1. R88PER

R88PER
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys - newbie here, 1st post.

I'm about to upgrade all of my equipment and would appreciate some views on one of my shortlisted speaker choices.
    I've done a search on the forum and got a couple of hits, but nothing in much detail.

I'm considering the Duo Acoustic 77 package. I know its a bit bling, but I like the look of the piano black finish.
    I am struggling in finding some info from anyone who has actually bought these though.
    I've seen the review from What home cinema, but thats it.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts or info ?

My budget for a speaker package is around £650 and would like to have some full size models, rather than satelites. My room size is approx 6.4m x 5.5m and is set up ideally around my new intended plasma TV.

Thanks in advance.

Paul R :smashin:

2. shugg99

shugg99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought 4 floor standers and a centre, tested them against my current AE Aesprit speakers, for the money they are very good, bit light re bass response. They need running in for about 0 hrs, I would avoid the Duo sub and get a B&K xls 200.
    Remove the grills when in use as the sound can be a bit muffled and the blue LED in each mid range speaker can be a bit off putting at first.

I've tested with a denon 3803, denon 1920 dvd, sky plus and QED silver speaker cable, the screen is the Sony 50" 3lcd rear pro.

I would say that the Aesprit speakers are sonically better but not by a big margin, however in the looks dept and build quality the duo's take some beating at the price range imo.

I'm still a little undecided which I'll keep as the voice from the duo centre cana bit muffled sometimes especially with material like Battlestar Galactica.

Hope it this helps.

3. MyDogSkip

MyDogSkip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the duo acoustics package with four floorstanders. I am really pleased with them and they look fantastic alongside my Pio 436 as they match the bezel exactly.

4. pure_geordie

pure_geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Quote from Helicon
    Personally, i've never heard of them. Their specs seem to be pretty meaningless. Always be wary of lots of drive units for not much money. The rears are 'one way', and limited frequency response and the centre seems very underpowered.
    And finally, when a company can't even spell 'bass' properly, i'd be a little wary

Just seems to be arguably 'nice' looking speakers that are short on anything else.

DON'T buy unless you get to hear them first, and make sure you compare them to something else. I'd be very dubious as to how much these actually cost.

5. R88PER

R88PER
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In the end I opted for some B&W 600 series speakers.
    DM602.5 S3, LCR60 S3 and DS6. Along with a Denon AVR2106 AV receiver.

Thanks for your thoughts