1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunno what to choose! Help plz!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FlyBoy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. FlyBoy

FlyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there :hiya:

I'm trying to find a "good & nice" setup for my appartment. What would you recommend? :lease:

• B&W DM602 S3 (front), LCR60 or VM1 because of my wife (center), DM601 S3 (surround) - amp: Harman Kardon AVR430
    • Kef KHT 5005 (front + center + surround) - amp: HK AVR430 or Marantz SR5400 OSE
    • Energy Encore 5.1 - amp: don't know what's best with this set
    • B&W FPMx series - amp: HK AVR430
    • NHT SB2 (front and surround), NHT SC1 (center) - amp: don't know what's best for this set

Seems like the NHT are not available in France unfortunately but maybe I can find them online from a retailer in the UK.

I really love the DM60x series but my wife just doesn't like the central speaker which is way too big so I'm thinking about putting a VM1 instead (I've already seen this setup a couple of times and it's alright).

I've never managed to find any places showing the B&W FPMx or the Kef 5005. How are they?

In a nutshell, I'm looking for something with a good sound quality but stylish if possible (wife wife wife :laugh: ). Budget is around 1500 GBP (amp + 5.0 speakers - I'll probably buy a Sidney Acoustics AR12 sub later if it doesn't come with the pack). Size of the room is 170 sqft (13*13).

Tks in advance for your help!
    FlyBoy

2. FlyBoy

FlyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody can help? :confused:

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    I'll stick my neck out and say the NHT (with a good sub as they are small) as they have fabulous detail and a lovely finish. They seem to be sold in countries all around France but an email to NHT would give you a hand trying to find an easier stockist.

Obviously in France, I'd be looking at Triangle as well as I am a big fan but they are not everybody's cup of tea.

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

For a start, forget the Kef 5005's and try the Canton CD Series. The Movie CD1 package at less than half the price is better, I can prove it as we have both set up in screen room 2 and 3. For roughly the same price the Mover CD2.22 is far superior is slam and detail. Plus they look a lot better.

If you need a demo then please give me a call, I would love to show you the difference.

5. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm also interested to know what people think of the following set:

Kef KHT 5005 (front + center + surround) - amp: HK AVR430 or Marantz SR5400 OSE

The 5005's give a very good sound, the sub is awesome as well - can't remember what it was hooked up to though when I heard it :(

6. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hayes are the Canton series that much better? I currently have the Kef KHT 2005 Mk1 speakers but find them rather "bright" with my Sony STR-BD940 Receiver. I am looking to upgrade gradually, three fronts first then the rears.

Not sure what options are best, Kef 5005's sounded great to me when I listened.

Are you open on Saturdays?

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I'm afraid we're not open on Saturdays (at the moment) but it is inevitable, but we do have a Forum day happening on Saturday 18th for the new EPC home cinema PC, but obviously we will be demonstrating other equipment aswell.

On the 5005 subject, yes the sub is good, but the speakers can't keep up they don't merge seamlessly. You can here the sub on it's own it sounds segregated, whereas the Cantons, even the little CD10's, produce enough grunt and punch to merge with a sub.

This is obviously my own opinion, but I am lucky, in as much as, I have different equipment and speaker systems to play with. It just frustrates me to see people miss informed or buying equipment without auditioning anything. I say this because you can't beat what your own ears tell you, you can take onboard what other people say but don't buy something as a result of it. Obviously I have put my opinion in, but only with the intension of bringing another product to your attention. So that you might be intrigued enough to take the time to listen to them.

I hope this helps

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the info Hayes. But I am slightly confused how the CD10's can produce a punchier & gruntier sound than the 5005's. Am I correct in believing the Cantons do not produce any bass as the 5005's do not? If so, how can they sound gruntier?

I am looking for something like this though, I just thought lifestyle speakers wouldn't be able to do this.

What is the sub in the Canton range like?

Cheers,
    Chris

9. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The CD10's will go down to 80Hz although the 5005 go down to 100Hz, in real terms it's negligible but it's how they do it! Even though the Kef's have got 3 3" drive unit's, 2 of which are long throw bass units, the Canton CD10's go down lower with one unit.

As for the paunchiness of these speakers, I will explain. Bass punch or chest slam starts at about 70-75Hz and goes up to 200 ish, it's not a particular frequency that creates punch, it's a mixture of depth and midbass which the Cantons are especially good at which allows them the integrate with a sub seamlessly.

All I can do is prove it to you. Don't get me wrong, the Kef's are very good for certain applications and the look of them is very desirable.

I've just read back through what I've written and just want to clarify something, when I say the Cantons are very good at bass punch and chest slam, don't take it literally as you are not going to get chest slam that will knock you off your feet. What I mean is for their size you will shocked at the amount of slam and punch you get from such small speakers, I only say this as it is not only myself that thinks it but every one I have demo'd these to have commented on it!!!

I hope this is informative to you and gets your taste buds going enough that you want to investigate.

10. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Hayes,

It most certainly has got my taste buds going - but I can only visit on weekends so at the moment I cannot do anything.

What Canton range in the same price as the 5005's? I want to upgrade gradually, three fronts then rears and sub. At the moment I have Kef's so the 5005's would integrate seemlessly (I hope), but if the Cantons prove to be much better it would be wise for me to go down that route.

11. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin' again,

Sorry didn't answer the Sub question.

The amount of subwoofers that Canton is great. 13 plus a few for the little baby speaker packages. From what I heard at Standesign they are very good., I played with an AS15 SC the smallest and was amazed with it's out put. The most popular sub is the AS25 DC which is incredibly music aswell as powerful for what is a very well priced sub. The AS500 SC, which is part of the Karat Reference series, which as you would expect is formidable again which you wouldn't expect for that price bracket.

I would have the AS25 or the AS50 for a bigger system like the Canton CD300's and C360F.

12. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can't keep up :zonked:

If you would like, we are doing a Forum day on the 18th of this month, which is meant for the EPC home cinema PC but you could come down early and I could come in a couple of hours early or of coarse you could put your name down for the day on a thread which will be put up tomorrow.

The 5005 package is £50 more than the Movie CD2.22 at £1050, so have a look and you can certainly buy them seperately or in stages.

13. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hehe :)

Ok so how would this forum day work?

It's best for me to come early as I have to come from Croydon. Thing is I wouldn't be buying anything that day, so I don't want to trouble you by making you come in early etc. What time does the Forum Day start?

14. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

There are two sessions, the first one is 10:00 - 13:30 and the second is 14:00 - 17:30. but the Forum day is specifically for members interested in the EPC, and we're only allowing a certain amount and I don't really want to give someones place away whi would benefit from the day. So I'm willing to come in early if it is beneficial to you. I wouldn't expect you to buy tha products there and then, that's not our style, people need to have a think.

15. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well Hayes if you could that would be magic of you! :smashin: Let me know what time you can get in :) Would it be possible to compare the Cantons with the 5005's and if you have any, some B&W VM1's?

16. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Sorry for the delay, we've had a new server installed and all my links have gone. It's taken me a little while to find this thread.

If you want to come for 08:00am that should give me enough time to put the demo room back together in time for the Forum day. Due to the Forum day happening I'm not really going to be able to move too many things around. Yes you can here the comparison between the 5005's and the Cantons, but in different rooms. Although the speaker systems are in different rooms and that does make a little difference, the difference between what you will here is significantly more than the room acoustics, believe me.

Hope this helps.

17. FlyBoy

FlyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning there,

Well, didn't see that I had answers to my questions so... a very late 'thank you' to you guys :)
    I wrote an email to NHT a while ago but I've never received any replies :(

On another note, I've just listened to wonderful speakers: the Quad 11L and 12L with the black glossy finish. Could be the ones =)

Cheers,
    FlyBoy