Dunkirk Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review
Can you comment on the bit-rate of the audio?
The 1080 bluray has a low 16 bit track, is the UHD version 24 bit and higher?
Bluray
DTS-HD Master Audio English 2411 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2411 kbps / 16-bit

Pretty spot on review. Despite me being one that expected a Atmos track the include 5.1 is top notch and works brilliantly up-mixed.

Great review, thanks

I have some Tesco vouchers heading my way(Xmas present) so i shale use them to get this!

Excellent Review,

Will be picking this up :)

Cheers Cas, Merry Christmas :thumbsup:

great review cas,love the movie,have watched it twice already turned up really loud and with the visuals its a epic experience.merry christmas.:clap:

I liked Dunkirk, but to be honest would expect a little bit more from Mr. Nolan...
It's an OK movie, but nothing special, will forget it easily... though this is not Nolan's fault. We have seen a lot of war movies and it's hard to show new.

My personal favorite will still remain Interstellar and The Dark Knight. :)

Audio-visually it's very good, but music sound track is not as strong as in the other movies.

I didn't get chance to see this at the cinema.

Looking forward to picking this up after boxing day on 4K for my first ever viewing.

I liked Dunkirk, but to be honest would expect a little bit more from Mr. Nolan...
It's an OK movie, but nothing special, will forget it easily... though this is not Nolan's fault. We have seen a lot of war movies and it's hard to show new.

My personal favorite will still remain Interstellar and The Dark Knight. :)

Audio-visually it's very good, but music sound track is not as strong as in the other movies.

I reckon movie is pretty good 7/10 but lacks scale big time. He should have used CGI IMO.

However the soundtrack was fantastic. Easily the best part of the movie.

As an OLED owner, for me this is very far from a technical masterpiece.

The day scenes perhaps but the night scenes are pretty awful, and this is inexcusable now in my opinion. Many of the night scenes were badly exposed and too light destroying their impact, some had compression artifacts, also inexcusable. The star lit scenes should have been pitch black, these also completely lost any impact.

Obviously most of this doesnt get picked up on LCD as they cant do true black, these problems disappear in a sea of grey/black which I guess is why this gets a "reference" rating.

For me Nolan needs up his game, he needs to master on OLED and if he is doing already he needs to take a lot more care with his dark scenes.

example scenes 0043: 0045, the back drop of these scene should have been inky black, no a mess of noise, macroblocks, greys and blues. Just a mess.

The day scenes perhaps but the night scenes are pretty awful, and this is inexcusable now in my opinion. Many of the night scenes were badly exposed and too light destroying their impact, some had compression artifacts, also inexcusable. The star lit scenes should have been pitch black, these also completely lost any impact.

Obviously most of this doesnt get picked up on LCD as they cant do true black, these problems disappear in a sea of grey/black which I guess is why this gets a "reference" rating.

For me Nolan needs up his game, he needs to master on OLED and if he is doing already he needs to take a lot more care with his dark scenes.

example scenes 0043: 0045, the back drop of these scene should have been inky black, no a mess of noise, macroblocks, greys and blues. Just a mess.
I also noted on the other Dunkirk thread occasional strange lighter area across the bottom of the screen in the dark imax scenes. Looked almost like this part of the film was fogged through light leakage. Again viewing on an OLED TV.

The other Nolan UHD releases I've seen (Dark Knight Trilogy and Inception) also suffered from elevated black levels at times. It's like Warners having had complaints re too dark UHDs in the past over compensated and went the other way round this time.

I wonder if it's more to do with his insistence of doing everything in camera, these shots are hard to film well, he did get some right, just not all of them, it was a disappointing watch all round for me, it's not like I've got anything against Nolan either, putting these issues to one side interstellar is hands down my favourite movie of all time, took the number one spot from the deer Hunter when I saw it.

It could also be down to him just not caring about home viewing. I'm assuming all the things not working for you are relatively normal for huge projection. It's not like you choose to film in IMAX because of all those 55 and 65" TV's at home.

Me personally, even with an immaculate transfer, don't think this will work very well on a TV. There are plenty of shots in this film that will be OK, but with a 65" TV and my sound system dismantled (I think permanently), there is not enough in this film that I can do it justice.

I did think it was absolutely superb in the cinema. Thoroughly loved every minute of visual and audio.

What confuses me is why the omission of Dolby Vision on the physical disc? Apple 4K has this available with both HDR and Dolby Vision in their stream encode. I was hoping DV would have been included here so as to avoid the compression of the stream. Disappointed indeed.

I reckon movie is pretty good 7/10 but lacks scale big time. He should have used CGI IMO.

However the soundtrack was fantastic. Easily the best part of the movie.
Cgi would have spoilt the movie, for me it was perfect as it is, Nolan wanted a stripped back film, and he created one.. I've watched it three times its so basic, and the three different perspectives are very fitting... The sound of the spitfires including all the rattles was perfect.

I was really disappointed by this movie. After all the reviews I was expecting something amazing. I know Nolan didn’t want to use CGI but the lack of troops trying to get off the beach looked like a busy bus queue on a wet weekend at Margate. The original Dunkirk movie, in my opinion, gave a much more realistic portrayal of the numbers involved (400,000+).
I won’t buy this one. Just my opinion

I think picture quality wise this is one of the best ever released.

So after years of cgi ruining movies we've now swung to it's omission ruining movies. Thankfully the new transformers should fuel the cgi thirst. Not just Nolan but I hope other directors keep the faith of not going to cgi unless really neccessary

Not shore about getting this looks good on the reviews but paying the extra over the blu ray and they could not be bothered to include atmos or a dtsx i dont care how good the dts master audio track is

Not shore about getting this looks good on the reviews but paying the extra over the blu ray and they could not be bothered to include atmos or a dtsx i dont care how good the dts master audio track is
They couldn't include Atmos because the sound was never mixed in Atmos. It was 5.1 at the cinema too.

I'd love to give my opinion on this as I got it for Christmas and we were going to watch it but unfortunately it just froze and stuttered from the getgo so couldn't get past 3 or 4 minutes. It appears that others have had the same problems. It will be going back.

Anyone fretting about the lack of atmos on this just don’t. Superb soundtrack and it does look great. Plays fine on Samsung 8500.

I'd love to give my opinion on this as I got it for Christmas and we were going to watch it but unfortunately it just froze and stuttered from the getgo so couldn't get past 3 or 4 minutes. It appears that others have had the same problems. It will be going back.

Really? That’s interesting as we watched this yesterday and I spent ages swapping HDMI cables about thinking I had a dodgy cable. The issue with mine was the sound kept cutting out for a microsecond then at times the picture went but I could still hear sound.

[emoji23] I remember when Dts HD master audio was the pinnacle of sound.. And Dolby true HD wasn't the go to audio format!! How people change!! Nolan has never been a fan of object based audio as apparently in an interview he said that our brains and hearing are not designed for vertical sound.. Same as he said 3D would not work on any of his films and was a gimmick.. He seems to be a rare film maker who loves the stripped back approach and films it for the big screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom