1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cmcg55, Sep 12, 2005.

1. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IAII... there's a new Extended Edition of Dune due to arrive at the end of this year (R1 release date 12/27, don't know about other regions). Per DVD Profiler, the extended edition will weigh in at 40 minutes longer than the original release, and a DTS soundtrack has been added.

On the same topic - has anyone seen the "other version" of Dune (the one with William Hurt) that I believe was originally an FX-channel serialization? I can't remember seeing it - is it worth a look?

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I thought the TV show was rubbish. i got through about half hour before i pressed eject.

as for the film i've got the french version which has original cut of the film and the extended TV version film. i've seen the film several times, but i've not watched the DVD yet and i've not watched the TV version :rolleyes:

Gary

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If like me, you're a diehard fan of dune, I'd give up on both tv and film formats and stick to the novels - as much as I enjoy david lynches vision of the dune universe, there's no way your gonna squeeze the whole of dune into a 2 hr movie and a lot of the changes made to accomodate the transition from novel to script just don't work, the tv version has great scope but is poorly executed and some of the actors are just plain embarrassing - the guy who plays gurney halleck springs to mind.
    I'm just praying that peter jackson casts his eyes (fat chance!) in the general direction of dune as only someone of his magnitude can bring frank herberts masterpiece to life.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Now that would be very nice :)

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Definitely agree, much as it was the film that got me into the books, the books are just so much more fantastic. But as said...if Peter Jackson got hold of it.... :)

6. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Couldn't agree more with these sentiments. Such great books and such a terrible film. And yet all the ingredients seemed to be there (decent director, cast, etc). It's a long time ago but I seem to remember the worms being particularly lacking in credibility.

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    worst film of all time barr none, fell asleep trying to turn it off, unfortunately never read the books, the dreadful film put me off, i wont even bother looking at this latest offering, makes me cringe just thinking about it :eek:

8. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    It's 20 years since I read the books but they were riveting at the time and really in another league compared with most sci-fi. I would definitely recommend a try.

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Actually, if there's one thing that lynches film has done for me which I appreciate is to gives characters from the books, faces that stick - jurgen prochnow IS duke leto! The conniving bene gesserit sisterhood looks great, Kyle maclachlan as paul is ok, even if the original paul was supposed to be 15, the other players are ok but kudos to kit west (mechanical effects) and carlo rambaldi's great worms which I find more true to the books (if jerky) than the tv version.

10. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I'm a huge fan of the books (well, at least up to Children of Dune before Herbert disappeared up his own didactic backside) and I *love* the film too... I really don't care for the two tv series much - they're terrifically dull and miscast (as well as departing from the books notably, despite the "Frank Herbert's" monicker).

Incidentally, the recent French Ultimate Edition of Dune has the nicest transfer of the film I've ever seen - shame it's light on extras.

Worth picking up if you (as I do) don't believe the Universal R1 SE is ever going to materialise. There's a recent Korean R3 4-disc set (one disc is the soundtrack) available as well, although I have no idea what that's like...