DUNE

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here buy this r1 dvd and was it any good????Please post a mini review if you have or e mail me a review,i want to know what the effects were like and if they used that voice weapon like in the original movie???Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

i just watched the r1 version of dune the other day. and the first thing to hit me was it is not anamorphic this leads to the usual detail issues expesially as its a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. the print also contains some noyiceable print dirt but this really mostly noticeable at the begining. color fidelity is good but the image seems little soft to me but this may be due to the age of the print. on the sound front, well lets just say its not a system streatcher with little in the way of forcefull dynamics or split rear effects but its all very serviceable. there are pretty much no extra features except i think a trailer. the film itself is great and well worthy of bieng in anyones collection and yes they use the voice weapon.
by the way, i'm not sure about the UK but here in OZ they have just re-released dune on r4 pal with a DTS sound track. i'm not sure if its anamorphic (it doesnt say on the cover) but it could be the superior version.
ps. avoid the original pal release as its pan&scam and looks like it was taken from video tape OLD video tape.
pps. read the book

Nathan

Has anyone seen/bought the R2 version of Dune? My local 'Woolies' has it for £8.99.
(I'm not talking about the 'TV version' which is in 4:3/mono)

That TV version is actually in 2.0 surround. The box lies. It sounds better than a downmix from the 5.1 on the theatrical version aswell.

Just in case anyone's interested. :)

Originally posted by MrFurious:
<STRONG>Did anyone here buy this r1 dvd and was it any good????Please post a mini review if you have or e mail me a review,i want to know what the effects were like and if they used that voice weapon like in the original movie???Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:</STRONG>

Whcih dune are you taking about:

Dune (David Lynch)
Dune TV version (of David Lynchs movie)
Dune Miniseries (Franck Herberts)

Dune is non-anamorphic (and from the same poor quality print) in R1, R2 and R4. R2 looks the best. R4 has DTS but it's not that good the R2 UK DD5.1 sounds better. So R2 UK is most likely the better of the 3.

Dune TV Version (of David Lynchs movie), is a non-approved (and hated by Lynch) reedit of the movie, it additional scenes like a long prologue, some scenes have been removed, others have been movied around. " versions of this version exit. The UK has the TV Cut version (some violence removed). The Japenese (v. expensive) version is rumoured to be the TV Uncut version. The UK disc is DD2.0 Surround and not mono like the cover says.

Dune Miniseries (Franck Herberts) - this is totally different from the other Dunes.
The US disc is non-anamorphic, DD2.0 Surround and has few extras. The R2 disc (and possibly UK) is a Columbia Tristar release and will be widescreen (anamorphic not confirmed yet), DD5.1, loads of extras and it will be the Directors Cut

I meant the miniseries,when is the r2 version due out?? :)

Mr F,

The Sci-Fi Channel's 6-hour TV mini-series should be out on R2 DVD around November or December 2001.

The reason for the lengthy delay, is that the UK Sci-Fi Channel itself, is currently trying to obtain UK broadcasting rights to air this much-talked-about series. However, things aren't going too well, because the DVD company wants to release it on R2 DVD BEFORE the broadcast goes ahead, hence the whole thing is a bit of a fiasco.

Although I haven't seen the series, in general, the word has been relatively positive, considering the source material, and the 2 previous versions - the original 1984 movie, and the re-edited 3-hour TV cut.

If you are a big fan of the novel, then the TV series will not be that great in your eyes, but it is an improvement (plot-wise, at least) over Lynch's movie, from what I've heard! However, these words are to be taken as my opinion only.

Pooch

If anyone's interested you can pick up Dune (Lynch's cut) on R2 dvd in Tesco's bargain section for less than a tenner at the moment.

I never liked the books myself. Too many of them "word" things, not very concise, a bit kinda sprawling, if you know what I mean. But that's down to laziness and the lack of braincells (left) on my part, and in no way reflects on folks that like the books, which I'm informed are rather a good read if you've got the time for them :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom