Dune TV301-NFS connection

AVMig

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. I would like to know if anybody has succesfully setup a NFS connection with the Dune TV301.
I've succesfully already setup a SMB connection (with fast access setting), but I still have some problems. For example when I'm playing certain files ( I.e. MKV-H264; video res: 1920x800; video mode: 1080p 50 Hz), after playing these files for 1 minute the image starts to stutter, the sound disappears and a message (in the Dune 'I' screen) of "Buffer underruns" shows with increasing value numbers - from 1 to 67, on last occasion I tried. Is this due to any particular settings?
My hardware is:
Synology 212J
Dune TV301
Both connected via Ethernet cable ecat6 and a Gigabit hub.
I hope my post is clear.
Many thanks in advance.

Just to say this is one of my customers so please be gentle with him :) I explained that I've setup SMB but have no real experience of setting up NFS in Dune so pointed him here.

Dont let me down guys :)

Good Morning,

No experience with NFS, I'm afraid. Does the Dune have that option? I will check it out.

The only time I have experienced any stuttering on either my Dune Smart D1 or my HDTV 301 is when I've tried to access a very large file (>10GB ) from my QNAP. Just copied the file to the Dune's storage and it played fine.

As a test, I ripped a full Blu-Ray including menus to a file which ended up being >32GB. Copied this to both Dunes and had the full Blu-Ray menu on the D1 and a 'Lite' menu on the 301. Still played without stuttering. It's something to do with bit rates I think. Standard ethernet networks cannot cope with the very highest of bit rates as supplied by Blu-Ray players.

You say you have a Gigabit hub but I don't think that will help at all unless you have a Gigabit router and even if you did, the ethernet port on the Dune is not gigabit anyway. Whilst it's convenient to have all media in one place, I don't mind having to copy the odd very large file directly onto the Dunes.

I'll check out NFS and get back to you but, I don't think that will help much.

best wishes,

Col.

there shouldn't be absolutely no difference for streaming playback between SMB/NFS. I can play +50Mbs and +30GB files over my powerline (faaaaar away from a Gb ethernet...) and SMB without any problem. Even if you switch to NFS I'm pretty sure you will have the exact same result on screen.

I think that the problem is somewhere else. Did you try to turn off the fast SMB setting ? Did you try to set your Dune to a fixed IP ? Is your router a Netgear ? (I've seen many people with this brand having problems that were solved simply by using another brand...) Are you running the lastest firmware ?

Go to Setup - Video and check the following settings;

Video mode - 1080p 23.976
Aspect Ratio - Auto
Auto Framerate - 24/50/60Hz

Give them a try and see what happens as that seems to be the values that work for most.

his stuttering problems doesn't have anything to do with the auto-framerate...

BTW, video mode should be set up to 1080p 50 or 60hz, not 23.976, for a proper auto-framerate. Video mode is in fact for the UI and needs to be set to a defined resolution preferably to 50 or 60Hz to have a smooth scrolling when you navigate in the UI. Auto-frame will then handle all frames from 23.976 to 60Hz ;)

Could be your switch/hub, I've seen that more then enough times when everything appears correct (fast NAS, ethernet links all around, using SMB) that the switch/hub can be the culprit. The ones built in to routers tend not be that great and even dedicated ones can sometimes cause problems though rare compatibility issues.

Oh yeah and Synology borked something in their latest firmware updates, users complaining about poor read speeds on the newest firmware particularly with NFS.

* Check for firmware updates on the router, if using dedicated switch does it have a control panel try logging into it and see what options are available. Try setting it to a fixed 100Mbps for the media player instead of auto negotiate.

* Contact Synology tech support directly which I strongly recommended if problem is NAS side, don't waste your time with their forums Synology will never respond to you that way, they will only help by opening a tech support ticket, they will want to remote into your NAS and take a look at it's logs to see what's going on.

* You could try NFS but given the problems mentioned above I'm not sure it will bring any improvement. These are the instructions I found and they worked for me but Synology NFS is flaky
1) Make sure jumbo frames are disabled on your Synology NAS.

2) Login to Disk Station Manager
* Go to Users
* Select the guest account then select edit and deselect the box for "disable this account" and click ok.
* Go to Shared Folder.
* Select target folder (e.g videos) and click on Privileges Setup.
* For local users admin & guest tick the boxes for read/write privileges.

3) Still in Disk Station Manager
* Go to Win/Mac/NFS and enable the NFS service.
* Go back to Shared Folder then select the target video (e.g videos) and click on NFS Privileges.

4) Under NFS Privileges set the following
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Root Squash = No Mapping

5) With the changes made reboot your NAS. When adding NFS share on media player you can leave username/password empty with guest permissions enabled.

* Last but not least try UPnP/DLNA if you don't mind not having access to the jukebox.

I do agree with the other comments stating that the stuttering is most likely caused by something else on your network such as a faulty cable rather than the fact you are using SMB. I stream from my unRAID server to Dune Prime using SMB and none of my rips stutter, even the high bitrate full BluRay rips, so the network definately can handle it.

And just to confirm - the TV301 does have a gigabit Network port but this is not required for streaming full BD rips, a 100mbps network is good enough as that is all my Prime has.

NFS vs SMB does seem to be difficault to argue which is best. I have seen many comments of one user getting SMB to work well but not NFS, but another user will find the exact oposite. So I would say it is worth trying NFS to see if it works better for you, but don't expect a big difference between them.

Mark.

Good Morning,

No experience with NFS, I'm afraid. Does the Dune have that option? I will check it out.

The only time I have experienced any stuttering on either my Dune Smart D1 or my HDTV 301 is when I've tried to access a very large file (>10GB ) from my QNAP. Just copied the file to the Dune's storage and it played fine.

As a test, I ripped a full Blu-Ray including menus to a file which ended up being >32GB. Copied this to both Dunes and had the full Blu-Ray menu on the D1 and a 'Lite' menu on the 301. Still played without stuttering. It's something to do with bit rates I think. Standard ethernet networks cannot cope with the very highest of bit rates as supplied by Blu-Ray players.

You say you have a Gigabit hub but I don't think that will help at all unless you have a Gigabit router and even if you did, the ethernet port on the Dune is not gigabit anyway. Whilst it's convenient to have all media in one place, I don't mind having to copy the odd very large file directly onto the Dunes.

I'll check out NFS and get back to you but, I don't think that will help much.

best wishes,

Col.
Thanks for the post Anorax25. The router has a Gigabit port, which I use to connect a Gigabit hub to which I connect both, the Dune & the Synology. The Dune has a Gigabit port. I thought that maybe NFS connection mighty solve these issues......

there shouldn't be absolutely no difference for streaming playback between SMB/NFS. I can play +50Mbs and +30GB files over my powerline (faaaaar away from a Gb ethernet...) and SMB without any problem. Even if you switch to NFS I'm pretty sure you will have the exact same result on screen.

I think that the problem is somewhere else. Did you try to turn off the fast SMB setting ? Did you try to set your Dune to a fixed IP ? Is your router a Netgear ? (I've seen many people with this brand having problems that were solved simply by using another brand...) Are you running the lastest firmware ?
Thanks for your post Mr Eric. I did switch off the Dune 'fast SMB access', but no difference I'm afraid, still stuttering and dropping the volume .......

Go to Setup - Video and check the following settings;

Video mode - 1080p 23.976
Aspect Ratio - Auto
Auto Framerate - 24/50/60Hz

Give them a try and see what happens as that seems to be the values that work for most.
Hi Stu V, I tried your suggested settings but problem still subsists. I guess there are many components and variants for the whole thing to work as expected. Hopefully somebody will point me to the right combination of settings.

Could be your switch/hub, I've seen that more then enough times when everything appears correct (fast NAS, ethernet links all around, using SMB) that the switch/hub can be the culprit. The ones built in to routers tend not be that great and even dedicated ones can sometimes cause problems though rare compatibility issues.

Oh yeah and Synology borked something in their latest firmware updates, users complaining about poor read speeds on the newest firmware particularly with NFS.

* Check for firmware updates on the router, if using dedicated switch does it have a control panel try logging into it and see what options are available. Try setting it to a fixed 100Mbps for the media player instead of auto negotiate.

* Contact Synology tech support directly which I strongly recommended if problem is NAS side, don't waste your time with their forums Synology will never respond to you that way, they will only help by opening a tech support ticket, they will want to remote into your NAS and take a look at it's logs to see what's going on.

* You could try NFS but given the problems mentioned above I'm not sure it will bring any improvement. These are the instructions I found and they worked for me but Synology NFS is flaky

* Last but not least try UPnP/DLNA if you don't mind not having access to the jukebox.
Hi next 010, thanks for your extensive post. The Gigabit switch -I just bought this week, is a 'Netgear Prosafe 5-port Gigabit Desktop Switch' which I think has good reviews, but you never know .....
I have the latest update for the Synology (DSM 4.0 2228)?
The router is a BT Home Hub (V.3), it has a Gigabit port (which I conect to The Netgear switch) and I' m not sure you can select the speed.
As for contacting Synlogy, I would have done it if I was sure that the problem lies with the NAS, or where the problem is, but . . . . Worth remembering though.
I followed all your steps 1 to 5 regarding the NFS connection, but I still not sure about the exact syntax to write on the Dune for the entries: Name, Type, Server, Folder and Protocol when setting up the NFS connection. Could you please write some examples?
And finally, how to go about trying the UPnP/DLNA ?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi next 010, thanks for your extensive post. The Gigabit switch -I just bought this week, is a 'Netgear Prosafe 5-port Gigabit Desktop Switch' which I think has good reviews, but you never know .....
I have the latest update for the Synology (DSM 4.0 2228)?
The router is a BT Home Hub (V.3), it has a Gigabit port (which I conect to The Netgear switch) and I' m not sure you can select the speed.
As for contacting Synlogy, I would have done it if I was sure that the problem lies with the NAS, or where the problem is, but . . . . Worth remembering though.
I followed all your steps 1 to 5 regarding the NFS connection, but I still not sure about the exact syntax to write on the Dune for the entries: Name, Type, Server, Folder and Protocol when setting up the NFS connection. Could you please write some examples?
And finally, how to go about trying the UPnP/DLNA ?
Many thanks in advance.

I've actually heard of Netgear Prosafes causing these kind of problems before, prosafe is the business line of products not the stuff for home users. If it's a prosafe then usually those do have a configuration panel like a router has, however getting to it is another matter you have to find out the IP address of the switch and enter it into your web browser, the router might list the IP address of attached devices but they don't always do. Windows 7 network map may also list the IP of the switch.

You could get a dumb unmanaged switch for £10-15 and give it a go or see if you can borrow one to try it out, then again it could be the prosafe is fine.

NFS setup might be something like this (I don't own Dune so going off Google)
Name - Movies
Type - NFS
Server - 192.168.1.2 <- example, use your NAS IP address.
Folder - /Videos or /Volume1/Videos (try both, Synology typically are Volume1 followed by folder)
Protocol - TCP

To use DLNA activate the media server on the NAS, I think Synology have made it an "app" now in DSM4 so you might have to go to apps then install it. The DLNA server will scan the media into it's database then browse UPnP/DLNA servers on the Dune to access it.

Last edited:
I've actually heard of Netgear Prosafes causing these kind of problems before, prosafe is the business line of products not the stuff for home users. If it's a prosafe then usually those do have a configuration panel like a router has, however getting to it is another matter you have to find out the IP address of the switch and enter it into your web browser, the router might list the IP address of attached devices but they don't always do. Windows 7 network map may also list the IP of the switch.

You could get a dumb unmanaged switch for £10-15 and give it a go or see if you can borrow one to try it out, then again it could be the prosafe is fine.

NFS setup might be something like this (I don't own Dune so going off Google)
Name - Movies
Type - NFS
Server - 192.168.1.2 <- example, use your NAS IP address.
Folder - /Videos or /Volume1/Videos (try both, Synology typically are Volume1 followed by folder)
Protocol - TCP

To use DLNA activate the media server on the NAS, I think Synology have made it an "app" now in DSM4 so you might have to go to apps then install it. The DLNA server will scan the media into it's database then browse UPnP/DLNA servers on the Dune to access it.
Hello next010. Sorry with my delay in replying, but my football team (Spain), just won the 'trio' back-to-back. Quite an achievement.
I've tried your suggested syntax:
Name - Movies
Type - NFS
Server - 192.168.1.70 <- my NAS IP address.
Folder - /Temp Movies and also /Volume1/Temp Movies (I tried both)
Protocol - TCP
But still no success. Still showing the message "Cannot access network folder".
I've also tried to set up the DLNA, but after setting it in the Synology the Dune can only see files contained in the 'Music' folder....?
I'm also going to try to test another gigabit switch to check whether is the Netgear Prosafe playing up. DO you happen to know any cheap gigabit switch in the market?
Many thanks again.

Netgear switch ? Just read the post from RichB here New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010

He had exactly the same problem, with a netgear switch. When he changed it for a Cisco all his problem disappeared...

Can you test with another switch from another brand ?
I think I'll have to try this option. But I don't want to pay much -if I can help it. Do you know of any gigabit switch (5 ports ideally) in the market?
Thanks.

Folder - /Temp Movies and also /Volume1/Temp Movies (I tried both)
I have found that this should be set to the name you give the share when you set it up, not the folder path.

So if I share the 'Videos' folder on my PC - C:\Users\Mark\Videos
When I create the share - right click folder and select 'Properties' and then click on the 'Sharing' tab (see attached) I can call it whatever I want, but lets go for 'Videos' then I would put 'Videos' in the 'Folder' setting on the Dune.

Mark.

Attachments

• Share.jpg
    Share.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 214
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Any cheap switch will do like this one.

The DLNA server if you go into it's control panel (media indexing service) allows you to set which folders are monitored by default it only looks at photo/music/video so you must add temp movies you can also force a re-index (scan update).

Try another test with NFS but no spaces in the file name /volume1/test (forgot to add it's also case sensitive so that V maybe lower case) in Filestation bring up the properties of a folder to see it's path on the NAS.

To edit the description as per Marks suggestion you must go into control panel\shared folder in DSM then click edit on a folder.

Last edited:
Any cheap switch will do like this one.

The DLNA server if you go into it's control panel (media indexing service) allows you to set which folders are monitored by default it only looks at photo/music/video so you must add temp movies you can also force a re-index (scan update).

Try another test with NFS but no spaces in the file name /volume1/test (forgot to add it's also case sensitive so that V maybe lower case) in Filestation bring up the properties of a folder to see it's path on the NAS.

To edit the description as per Marks suggestion you must go into control panel\shared folder in DSM then click edit on a folder.
Hello. I've ordered the TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch, worth trying the test with another switch.
I had/have setup the 'Temp Movies' folder as one of the indexed folders in the Media Indexing Service; but nevertheles I selected the 'Re-index' option - I guess it might take a few days to arrive.
I've followed your suggestions with the NFS connection (i.e. '/volume1/Temp Movies' but no difference with the Dune. I would've liked to send you some attached printscreen files, but I don't know how to do this on the forum.
Thanks for keeping trying.

I have found that this should be set to the name you give the share when you set it up, not the folder path.

So if I share the 'Videos' folder on my PC - C:\Users\Mark\Videos
When I create the share - right click folder and select 'Properties' and then click on the 'Sharing' tab (see attached) I can call it whatever I want, but lets go for 'Videos' then I would put 'Videos' in the 'Folder' setting on the Dune.

Mark.
Thanks again Mark. How did you insert the thumbnails in the post?
The thing is that my files are in a NAS (Synology212J), and I believe the syntax is quite peculiar (depending on the type of connection: SMB/ NFS). So I couldn't really use what I see in the PC -when I look at the Network in W7.

Try volume/1/test no spaces in the file name like "temp movies", Synologys NFS is very fussy and as I said doesn't really work in my experience & they should either fix it or remove the option entirely.

The DLNA re-scan should only take a few hours, though the Synology indexer can slow things down if photostation is active as it goes off generating low res copies of the videos for use with Photostation (you can disable this in the control panel for the media server though it has a reputation of ignoring this). Incidentally NFS browsing will reveal these hidden folders holding those copies Synology place all over the NAS. Even if Photostation is disabled it still creates @eaDIR folders in every folder.

How did you insert the thumbnails in the post?
Brute force and ignorance (I've plenty of one, but not a lot of the other) :D

Ignore 'quick reply' and go into the full reply screen by clicking the 'Post Reply' button at the bottom of the last post.
Below where you enter the text there is a section labelled 'Attach Files'
Click on 'Manage Attachments' and a new window will open with the bits you need to complete - see attached again ;)

Mark.

Attachments

• attach.jpg
    attach.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 183

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom