Dune TV101 problems

Stu V

Rather than clog up the Q & A thread I thought I would start a new thread.

I initially had problems with all my three Star Wars films , where I would lose audio or picture would stutter. I tested a few more last night and found problems with Avatar, POTC & Terminator 2. I pressed the info button while playing and found I was getting buffer underruns. This usually happened when the bit rate was consistently above 35 which would suggest a network problem?

I have checked my network with LAN Speed Test and a simple file copy and both seem to suggest my network is running at 80mbps + which should be enough to stream HD movies and indeed has done with an HTPC running XBMC. I have tried a different cable and port on the router with no change. I have tried all options on the Dune that may make a difference and still can't solve it. I also tried Mark's idea of resetting the Dune and re-installing but no joy.

All my movies are mkv's stored on an HP microserver which is running Unraid. Can someone suggest anything else?

Last edited:

Stu V

Yes I do, does not solve the problem

I tested the read speed by clicking "info" on the filename Avatar and it reports a read speed of 8.3MB/s which, if my maths is correct, equates to 66Mb/s. I would have thought that would be enough to play without stuttering. I also connected my HTPC running XBMC and it played all movies with no stuttering, so it would seem it is the TV101 causing the problem. I have borrowed an external usb hard drive so will copy a couple of files and see how I get on.

IAmATeaf

How long is the cable that connects the Dune to the switch? What type of switch is it? Reason I mention this is I've had problems when using an el-cheapo switch when using long cables. Even a good quality 8 port 3Com gigabit switch that I have started to exhibit problems when the cable length started approaching 25m.

Could be barking up the wrong tree but it's worth eliminating.

HeadBanger

I have a Max (with N36 & FreeNAS) so not sure if the following is possible on the 101. From the 101's menu go into the source folder (ie browse to your network HP microserver) and select OK on a film. From there I get a number of selections pop up one of which is a read test. Select that and see what you get. I use NFS but both SMB and NFS give a read speed of around 10-11Mbs on my Max. Star Wars and T4 BD rips (BD to MKV using MakeMKV) play without any issue from my Microserver.

Stu V

How long is the cable that connects the Dune to the switch? What type of switch is it? Reason I mention this is I've had problems when using an el-cheapo switch when using long cables. Even a good quality 8 port 3Com gigabit switch that I have started to exhibit problems when the cable length started approaching 25m.

Could be barking up the wrong tree but it's worth eliminating.

Length of cable from Dune to router - 1m
Length of cable from microserver to router - 7m
Router is fairly old and is a Netgear DG834 series, not sure which one (I'm not at home) but is 100mbps
I have changed the cable from Dune to router, but I still keep coming back to the player being at fault as my HTPC can play the files flawlessly

I have a Max (with N36 & FreeNAS) so not sure if the following is possible on the 101. From the 101's menu go into the source folder (ie browse to your network HP microserver) and select OK on a film. From there I get a number of selections pop up one of which is a read test. Select that and see what you get. I use NFS but both SMB and NFS give a read speed of around 10-11Mbs on my Max. Star Wars and T4 BD rips (BD to MKV using MakeMKV) play without any issue from my Microserver.

Already done. Am getting a read speed of 8.3 MB/s which, although not as good as yours, should be enough to stream (as far as I know). That is using SMB

MarkE19

Well I'm using a TV101 fed from my unRAID server with no stuttering since I did a full reset on the Dune. The player has fast SMB disabled and played Avatar and other high bitrate BD rips fine via network or local USB HDD.

Can you post you settings and I'll see if there is anything obviously set wrong.
Also does the TV101 got directly to your display or via an AV receiver?

Mark.

Stu V

Well I'm using a TV101 fed from my unRAID server with no stuttering since I did a full reset on the Dune. The player has fast SMB disabled and played Avatar and other high bitrate BD rips fine via network or local USB HDD.

Can you post you settings and I'll see if there is anything obviously set wrong.
Also does the TV101 got directly to your display or via an AV receiver?

Mark.

Will do. Will be later tonight or tomorrow as the Mrs has X Factor on :rolleyes:

The TV101 goes through my Processor (AV 7005) and then onto the TV. That might be worth a try, connecting it directly to TV and see if that helps, never thought to try that

HeadBanger

Already done. Am getting a read speed of 8.3 MB/s which, although not as good as yours, should be enough to stream (as far as I know). That is using SMB

Yes, that should be plenty and would allow a constant 65Mb/s stream from your server if required (ignoring the fact that your Dune will buffer a good chunk too). I stream via SR7005 so assuming your AV7005 is a Marantz processor I don't think that this is at fault.

Stu V

Yes, that should be plenty and would allow a constant 65Mb/s stream from your server if required (ignoring the fact that your Dune will buffer a good chunk too). I stream via SR7005 so assuming your AV7005 is a Marantz processor I don't think that this is at fault.

I copied Avatar onto a usb hdd and plugged it directly into the TV101 and it played without a glitch. Played the file via network and it stuttered within a couple of minutes. Took the Marantz AV7005 out of the chain and connected the Dune directly to TV and played Avatar via network - it played with no stutter. Reset the Dune again, left settings at default, and connected via Marantz and played via network - again no stutter, but sound was stereo as this is default. That's as far as I've got for now. I suspect when I change the audio to bitstream it will begin to stutter.

So there seems to be my problem - streaming via network + Dune set to bitstream = stutter. Played directly from usb hdd is fine, so think I can rule out a setting on the processor (it is set to passthrough). This would point to a network problem?

@MarkE19 - since you have a similar setup, any chance of doing a read speed test, only if you have time of course.

MarkE19

@MarkE19 - since you have a similar setup, any chance of doing a read speed test, only if you have time of course.
Speed test is showing an average speed of 8.4MB/s

Mark.

Stu V

Speed test is showing an average speed of 8.4MB/s

Mark.

Thanks for that. Virtually identical to mine so that rules out a network problem so must be a setting on the Dune or Marantz causing the problem

Stu V

I stream via SR7005 so assuming your AV7005 is a Marantz processor I don't think that this is at fault.

Any chance of posting your settings on the Marantz? The video is fine until I set the Dune to bitsream and then the video stutters.

HeadBanger

Any chance of posting your settings on the Marantz? The video is fine until I set the Dune to bitsream and then the video stutters.
Stu, no problem - I'll post when I'm home tonight.

Are you saying that if you plug the 101 stright into your TV (leaving all audio settings on the 101 as is) that the stuttering stops?

Stu V

Are you saying that if you plug the 101 stright into your TV (leaving all audio settings on the 101 as is) that the stuttering stops?

Yes, exactly that.

If the Marantz is in the chain I can get the stuttering to stop if I set the 101 to decode. As soon as I set the 101 to bitstream the video problems start (when the Dune is connected to the Marantz)

It seems that the Dune and the Marantz don't like playing together when the HD audio is bitstreamed.

HeadBanger

OK Dune video settings:
Video Mode = 1080p 23.976Hz
Auto Frame Rate = 24/50/60Hz
Decoder & output colourspace = both Auto
Colour Depth = 8bit
RGB = full

HDMI Audio is on and set to bitstream and the down-mix set to stereo (for TV when amp is off and it passes through the HDMI signal to TV).

Marantz settings>
HDMI setup:
RGB range = Enhanced
Auto Lip sync = on
HDMI Audio out = Amp
HDMI control = on
Standby source = HDMI1
Power off control = video

Input setup>Video:
Video select = source
Video mode = auto

HTH

Stu V

Thanks Headbanger. Exactly the same as mine except I don't have HDMI control on. I'll have to have another play :)

jetsetjimbo

Thanks Headbanger. Exactly the same as mine except I don't have HDMI control on. I'll have to have another play :)

How did you get on with this Stu?

Think I may have the same issue, with some but not all DTS-Master rips.

Stu V

I sent it back to Graham at my-htpc who also has Avatar (one of my problem movies) and is going to test it to see if it is a faulty player.

jetsetjimbo

Thanks stu. I will speak to Graham. Mine seems to do it, regardless of source whenever bit streaming DTS-MA and the bit rate goes up over 42Mbits/s.

Is this similar to what you were experiencing?

graham.myers

I have reproduced the problem on an other TV101 so its not a faulty unit. The unit I reproduced it on did play it previously and was also the unit I sent to Mark and he played Avatar OK too.

So it looks like its a setting that needs changing depending on stuff external to the player. I fixed it initially by enabling SMB but Mark struggled until he did a reset. Now it doesnt work for me even if I enable fast SMB again.

I'm hoping to play around this weekend to work it out.

jetsetjimbo

Thanks for the update Graham. It does only seem to be related to the dts-ma stream. I've found that if I set the 101 to decode, despite the fact the player only seems to output 2 channel stereo, regardless of settings, it doesn't stutter. Also if you select s/dif rather than hdmi and use bitstream the core DTS stream plays ok.

Out of interest Graham what make of av receiver are you using to test?

MarkE19

I've found that if I set the 101 to decode, despite the fact the player only seems to output 2 channel stereo
There is a known issue with the latest versions of the Dune firmware that means all their players only decode to stereo. Older players can be rolled back to the previous stable firmware and get 7.1 decoded audio, but obviously the TV101 doesn't have a previous stable firmware to roll back to.
Dune are aware of this issue and hopefully it will be fixed in the next firmware release.

Mark.

jetsetjimbo

graham.myers said:
Its an Onkyo (905 I think)

Thanks Graham. Looks like it's not an issue with certain AV manufacturers then...

Are dune aware? I assume it's not an issue on older players / firmware?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021