Dune TV-301 Delays. Other options?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Stu_M3, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I consider myself a patient man, but the delays of the Dune TV-301 reaching our shores and the recent nagging from my good lady (to convert films to so they play on the PS3), are forcing me to have a re-think.

I have the 301 on pre-order, but (through no fault of the supplier ;)) it's been on order since September. Well... that was supposed to be my birthday present in mid-September :(

I am just not sure I trust any lead-times that come out of Dune anymore, so I want to have a backup plan. I think I will wait until the end of January and then jump-ship...
    I have spent far more time than I should have done reading threads on the forum about Dune's and my head is starting to spin :rolleyes:

Option 1) I could get a cheapy player (something like the £28 Sumvision units ) that play most formats apart from ISO. Wait for the TV-301 to arrive and then then use the Sumvision in another room.

Option 2) Forget the TV-301 and just go for another Dune unit. I am sold on Dune, despite there annoying lack of accurate communication to end users and dealers :lesson:

This is a rather long post, but really I am leading in to another "which Dune model should I go for?" thread :suicide:

- The Smart D1/H1 is the obvious choice, but I am concerned that although it will certainly full-fill immediate requirements, it's got the "current" 8642 chip in it and I believe it's not upgradable. I'm concerned that this model will have a shorter life that I would hope for and I do like to have the latest tech :D

- The HD Duo Pro. Same chip, same issue as above? Is it upgradable (which would sway me)? Seems a bit of a waste of cash as I don't intend adding an internal HDD. Everything will stream from my NAS. I see there are more connectivity options, but I doubt I would make use of them.

- The HD Max. Ok, we're getting into some serious cash now and more than doubling the price of the TV-301. Same chip again, but I think I read somewhere this is upgradable? What else do I get for my hard-earned cash over the Smart series, apart from a BD drive and nice upgrade board capability that Dune don't ship any options for :rolleyes:

For anyone who has stuck it out, to the end of this post, I thank you :smashin:

I can't be the only one thinking along these lines. In fact I am sure I am not!

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. awink1

awink1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Hi Stu,

I'd go for the The Smart D1/H1 series.

I personally have the D1 and the 53d (which since the latest Beta firmware does exactly the same as the 101/301 without glitches).

The D1/H1 will be equally upgradeable as the rest of the units, whenever/if ever it happens, although at this point in time I see no reason to even consider upgrading, as they're awesome as they are!

the 53d is a neat little unit, but I think it's a one off because of the 8653 Sigma chip in it, but as stated, it does BD lite and HD Audio now since the upgrade. It is very solidly built, has space for a 2.5" hdd and I can't actually see any speed and or quality differences between the D1 and the 53d, although it won't do the full BD menus, but then the 101/301 don't either.

:thumbsup:

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Mede8er 450x2?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    All the current generation of Dune media players have been promised to have upgrades available for them. So if you can find any reason to you could upgrade a Smart D1 etc to the newer chipset - but I can't see any advantages with the new chipset other than gigabit LAN, it is only very slightly faster at 700mhz vs 667mhz and in testing I could see no real world differnces between a TV101 and a Smart H1.

I doubt it would be worth you getting a Max unless you want the whisles & bells, but you say you don't. All the Max offers that you can't add to a Smart is the 7.1 analogue audio outputs, but they are not required if you have an HDMI AV system.
    The HD Duo and the HD Pro are 2 very different models - the Pro is not released yet and when it does will likely cost around £2,000 and have the yet to be released SMP8910 chipset which offers HDMI 1.4 and full 3D BluRay support.

Mark.

5. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thank you. Useful comments there :) I must admit, I had missed the fact that the TV-301 doesn't support full blu-ray menu's and that might swing me away from it anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to stick with Dune though I think ;)

Thanks Mark. A decent comprehensive reply as always ;)

I don't think I need the extra's the Max offers. A Blu-ray drive would be nice, but not essential. I suppose the B1 will offer that, if I can live without the display on the D1 ;) I had got in my head that I wanted gigabit LAN, but that was really down to everything else running gigabit. If I don't need it on the Dune then the switch will happily drop it down to 100 of course.

Sorry, yes I did realise the HD Pro was not out yet. I meant the Duo of course :rolleyes:

So, I think on this basis I will either hang on a couple more weeks for the 301, or just switch my order around for a D1 or B1. :thumbsup:

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    If you want a display and a BluRay drive then you could always go for a D1 and a BE - but at £209 + £139 you are then almost at the price of the Max (£369) :rolleyes:
    You just need to decide if you want the full BluRay support :rolleyes:

Mark.

7. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks again Mark :)

Well, I am going to wait until the end of January and see what becomes of the mysterious and elusive TV-301's :lease:
    If the 301 is not in by then I'll grab a D1, Duo, or Max, depending on how flush I am feeling.

I'll probably leave the 301 on order anyway as I could do with a small unit for upstairs too.
    I was starting to go off the whole idea until this evening.... then, I installed Zapitti on the laptop and pointed it at the NAS, watched it scan all my media and build the video wall.... :love::love::love::love::love:

Trouble is I have now seen the sweet shop and want my Dune! :facepalm:

8. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Caved in. Fed up waiting. Have ordered up a D1 and will keep the 301 on pre-order for now. Might come in handy for another room ;)

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    and should be with you Monday :)

it is rather stupid of Dune with these delays. I'm putting as much pressure as I can bare on them but at the moment they are all in Vegas where I should have been this week! I'm dreading the HD pro pre-order :(

10. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Cheers Graham. Kicking myself I didn't just order a D1 back in early December rather than wait for the 301.
    I have learnt a valuable lesson about Dune. Great products from what I can see, but somebody needs a big kick up the backside in that company. Customers will only take so much....

11. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Busy hyping products they don't have the resources to get to market on time no doubt ;)

Anyway, shouldn't they all be at home feverishly assembling 301s and coding a firmware revision for the 101 with proper DTS-MA support. :D

12. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I have had "confirmed" that the 301s will be arriving in Germany the end of February. All the changes to the designs has what has caused all the delays.

They should be in the UK the week after (unless DPD lose shipments again!). Realisticly I'd say w/c 5-March

13. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I'll believe it when I see them on our shores Graham ;-)
    For me, I am glad I changed to the D1. It's a great unit which has so far more then exceeded my expectations. And my expectations are usually very high :cool:

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    Any news on the firmware yet Graham - well anything you are allowed to say that is ;)

Mark.

15. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
  16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    Thanks, I did see that. What I was asking was what is in the new firmware, ie BBC iPlayer, movie wall etc?

Mark.

17. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I'm not allowed to say at the moment. There is an imminent release of firmware that they are putting the final touches to. We discussed iplayer and movie wall but that is NDA territory because of other pending announcements.

All I can say is watch this space!

18. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    My apologies sir ;-)

19. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hello

I am also waiting for the 301. I have been tempted to buy a D1, given the delays in the 301 launch, however the D1 is not gigabit, has an older chip and costs 100€ more... so I will wait

Is there any advantage on the D1 vs 301 that I am not aware of? Apart from the little display...

I assume that the "internal bay for DVB-T", still announced in the 301 Specs, is not finally coming

20. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    As I have said on numerous occasions the internal tuner was aimed at TV set top providers - it was never going to be in the retail version

21. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Gigabit networking...only an advantage if you intend storing your data on an internal HDD or intend shifting a lot of files to/from the Dune. For me I store everything on a NAS and therefore would not benefit from gigabit LAN. There is more than enough bandwidth to stream my Bluray ISO rips over the 100Mb connection.

Older chip.... Indeed. But older = stable. I was not prepared to wait for the issues with the new models to settle down. The 8642 chip has not skipped a beat with everything I have thrown at it so far.

Yes the D1 is more expensive but has better connectivity such as eSATA and more USB Ports,, has the display which I find very useful, the build quality is superb (can't comment on the 301 but it is a cheaper unit after all), a more functional remote control (assuming the 301 will use the same remote as the 101) and has the full Bluray licence for Bluray menus.

Hope that helps. I am sure the 301 will be a great little unit when they get here. I have no regrets with me D1 though :cool:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  22. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks Stu_M3

In fact I will not use internal or attached storage, I will stream everything over the LAN from an external HDD attached to my PC. So network speed is quite relevant for me. I have heard that Dunes 10/100 have an average speed of 8MB (68mbps) which is find if that speed is maintained over the 2h duration of a movie. My current mediaplayer runs at 40 mbps but video always stutters when speed drops.

Build quality... good to know D1 is superb, that counts indeed, and also true that chip 8342 is bullet proof. But still wondering if the extra 100€ are justified

Nevertheless I know myself and probably I will not wait 2 months for the 301...

23. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Don't forget the H1 which is £30 cheaper (unsure on Euro difference) if you are not bothered about the display of the D1.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  24. awink1

awink1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I am streaming full blown BD ISOs (45gb+) over the network via smb and there is no stuttering on my D1, there is no stuttering on my 53d either.

If you're only going to stream, then the 101 will be more than sufficient for you.

25. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    That is right, but for only 20€ difference here in Spain I'd much prefer the 301, since it is Gigabit, option for internal HDD (who knows if in the future I will want that) and also option for DVB-T, which I need as my 3 years "old" plasma has not built-in HD tuner (only SD DVB)

Cheers

26. awink1

awink1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Then go for Smart D1/H1 you won't regret it :thumbsup:

27. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    all Dune models have the option of DVB-T via the USB stick. Do not read that the 101/301 has an internal option, it doesnt and wont in the retail version - that was an option for OEMs only

28. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hi Graham

also the 101? I did not read that 101 had that option, but well, if it is a USB I guess it does

BTW I do not understand how a brand like Dune offers DVB through such a "dirty" solution

29. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    Dune have stated since they released the Smart players that they would be offering tuner cards to fit in an ME Extension Module, so you could add DVB-T with these instead of USB - should Dune ever get around to releasing them :rolleyes:

The TV301 can only take a 2.5" (laptop) internal HDD, so if you do think that this is something you want you may be better off with a Smart H1 or D1, either of which can take a 3.5" HDD - which are cheaper and available in larger capacities. You also get access to the full disc menu from a full BluRay rip on a Smart player, but the TV301/TV101 only have BD-Lite so no access to the disc menu.

As aready stated by others there is absolutely no advantage with gigabit LAN if just streaming media. A 100mbps port is plenty fast enough for streaming high bitrate full BluRay rips. The only advantage with gigabit is when transfering media across the network to an internal HDD.
    For a streaming setup the only advantage the TV301 has over the TV101 is its extra connectivity. So if you have an AV setup that can take HDMI input for both video & audio then the extra connections are probably not required.

Mark.

30. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks Mark

I have to insist on the Gigabit connection, not only for speed but especially for stability. On a 100mbps connection my current NMP reaches 30-40 mbps, but I suffer from video stuttering because it drops to 10mbps sometimes.

The 80 mbps of Dune is more than enough for streaming, that is true, but it means 80% effectiveness maintained. Even 50% would be enough, but I am not sure that will be achieved. I prefer a Gb connection that even with drops the speed will be enough.

Full BR menus are not important to me but the 3.5" disc support is something I was not aware of, either the DVB integrated in the ME extension. But D1+ extension is 180€ more expensive than a 301, too much

I need to make up my mind between 101 (doubts on LAN speed) and 301. The difference in price is small