1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DUNE SE (Lynch)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Desticado, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I keep getting talk of a DUNE SE disc.
    Can anyone cast any light on this?

I already have the Original DVD release and the TV edit version.
    Should I be consigning these disks to Ebay in readyness for an SE release?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Desticado,

I wouldn't consign them just yet, until details are officially released. These "Special Edition" sets get a lot of rumours before anything concrete actually makes its way into the publics knowledge.

I doubt the Special Edition will be anything much more, than a remastered edition of the 134 minute standard edition of "Dune", in widescreen, but with an anamorphic print, and DD 5.1 sound.

You may get a few behind-the-scenes stuff, if we're all lucky, but bear in mind this film was made in 1984, and is more of a cult title, than a really popular movie. Also, Lynch has confirmed on many occasions, that he WOULDN'T be revisiting "Dune" to recut it, as he has no more interest in the film.

Sorry to be so negative, but that's life, I guess....

Pooch

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    wasnt really looking for an inspired disk, would just be nice to have a decent version of the original movie with perhaps the cut scenes (that are in the tv edit) as extras since they dont add a lot but are nice to see for background, rather having to own 2 different disks.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe that there was yet another version available on Japanese Laserdisc with yet more footage on it.

I have been dying for a proper version to be released on DVD, but I am begining to think that there never will be. Especially, as Pooch says, David Lynch has just about disowned the film.:(

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Being a big fan of this film, ive always been temped to buy the TV edit but lot of people have told me not to bother as its 4:3 and mono. Is this release as bad as they say?

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    it indeed mono and 4:3 but then it is a 'tv edit' so kind of expected.

I think that if you're a fan of the books / films its definately worth a look. The intro is very different from the lynch product and there are also several additional scenese (some lengthy, some a few seconds) that reveal that lynch was originally a little more true to the book.

Might not neccessarily be one to own but if your a fan of the movie its definately worth a watch.

7. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Last year, there was a new 6 part version of Dune shown on the Sci-Fi channel. Since I don't have that channel, I didn't see it, but could this be what the new DVD is?

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, that disk set has been out a while. I got it while I was in the states last May ( I think).

9. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Graham,
    Is it any good compared with the film? I was very dissappointed by the film, having read the book.

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO its closer to the book. Because its spread over several hours of viewing they can give the characters a bit more depth. I enjoyed it, probably more than the original film. The acting may be a bit rubbery (or even wooden) as they weren't actors with major cinematic experience, but it was sufficient to tell the story well.

I've also heard they've been given the green light to a sequel. Based on Children of Dune, I believe.

I know a couple of people who've rented it and they enjoyed it too

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I enjoyed the tv-mini series but found it lacking any sense of scale or grandeur. Also found myself comparing it to the movie the whole time so perhaps didnt enjoy it quite as much as if I'd never seen the movie.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was a liitle disappointed by the tv series. I had been looking forward to it for a while. I too felt it lacked that epic grandeur of the book.

However there is a special edition DVD of the series coming out in Region 1 later this year - more footage etc.

13. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im guessing the SE disc will have the extra scenes that were on the tv edit, such as the drowning of the little maker to make the water of life, the duel between Paul and Janis, the funeral of Janis and the giving of his water to Paul.

There were also lots of 'little' bits in several scenes that hit the cutting room floor during the editing process that are included on the TV edit.

I doubt it will have the TV prologue on it as that was what made Lynch remove his credit from that version of the movie. The new prologue does explain the background of the movie a little better but is no way near as good as the cinematic release with the princess as the narrator.

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All that sounds very nice. But there is no special edition coming...:eek: :mad: :(

The special edition that is slated for release is a new version of the Tv series, not the movie.

Sorry.:devil: