Question Dune Pro 4K media player Top Menu geriatric mod

Stonefox

Novice Member
Hi

I have an 87 year old mother who is loosing her memory due to senile dementia. She lives alone and watching series and movies is a very important part of her entertainment each day. I fill an external USB drive with video she likes and keep it loaded with fresh content as she watches on her Dune Pro 4K media player.

Unfortunately, as she has aged, she now struggles to navigate the menus when she starts up the Dune Pro 4K media player, she forgets which icon to select to navigate to the USB drive. I know it sounds ridiculous to us, and granted the Dune is a breeze to navigate, but to poor mother it is very complicated, causing hours of frustration and often ending up that she cannot find her shows. Even stranger is that she has been doing it for years every day but now cannot remember the process. Age isn’t for sissies!

Is there a way of changing / modifying the top menu that the player boots too? I would like to remove all other choices from the top menu it boots to except RECENT and SOURCE. This would be much simpler and less prone to getting lost.

The RECENT is important for her as it helps her to know where to continue from, otherwise she cannot remember what she has already watched and ends up re-watching the same things over and over.

I am sure this sort of mod would be appreciated by many families with aging parents. Please can anyone let me know if and how to make these changes to the Dune Pro 4K media player.

Regards
Stonefox

next010

Distinguished Member
I cant help with any Dune modding but if you have anything that runs Kodi then the Pellucid skin is perfect for this. Large text that is easy to read and fully customizable.

You can also mod the home screen to only display favorite video sources so say a folder on USB drive will be the only link on the main screen. I can tell you how to do it if your interested, use a Raspberry Pi for kodi with Flirc so she can continue to use Dune remote.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Is there a way of changing / modifying the top menu that the player boots too? I would like to remove all other choices from the top menu it boots to except RECENT and SOURCE. This would be much simpler and less prone to getting lost.

You can index the USB drive using the MyCollection software. Thereafter add MyCollection as a favourite and boot directly to it. There is a setting to boot to favourites in power options and is what I do.

You could probably add the USB as a favourite too and boot directly to it similarly but I have never tried.

Stonefox

Novice Member
Next010: thanks . I do not have a kodi box at present, but if nothing else works I will build one and get back to you for advice, if you do not mind.

mtenga: I will start with your suggestion, many thanks.
Is MyCollection a built in app?

mtenga

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom