1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune in the HMV Sales

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jhjerpe, Jul 25, 2003.

1. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    When looking through the HMV sales I cam accross Dune, strangley title SPECIAL TV EDITION, 5.99... bargain I thought, until I saw the 4:3 & MONO sound.... I now know what they mean by TV Edition... :thumbsdow

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats the japanese TV version with about 60mins extra footage - if your a fan its well worth seeing.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have both the wide screen and TV versions, they are quite different - pity the piture quality is so poor, the TV version PQ is even worse than the wide screen version. This film really needs to be remastered.

4. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, contradicting its own packaging it is in fact Stereo. The extra scenes are well worth the 4:3 frame if you are a fan of the original. I'll never understand why it was classified a 'failed film' it has been my favourite film since 1984. Nothing has come close !

5. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Director of the TV version is credited as "Alan Smithee"
    This is the usual proceedure when a director decides he doesn't want to be assosciated with a film.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
  7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    wooooo! yay! err, before I get excited, is this remastered?

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Actually it's the US TV version (although, like you mention it was only available from Japan for a few years), as the US networks often have films extended after their theatrical release just to fit a trimeslot on TV.

The additional scenes are definitely worth seeing (even though many of them are lacking the finalised fx) as there's some good stuff added back in that broadens the story. But as all the additional material was added back without any assistance from David Lynch he distanced himself from the finished TV version and it was credited to "Alan Smithee". The audio's a decent 2.0 surround track that sounds richer than if you downmix the 5.1 from the theatrical version to surround. As the 2.35 image (which was already grainy) is zoomed and cropped to 4:3 the grain in the print is exaggerated, and although it's a shame it's only in 4:3 the fact remains that it was re-edited back in the mid 80's with no intention of it ever being seen outside of network TV broadcasts, so it's highly unlikely it'll ever appear as a widescreen version, which is a shame.

Worth noting aswell is the fact that being a TV version for US network TV it's been cut of several violent scenes and the bloodshed is down to a minimum. Certainly not a "directors cut" or a definitive version, but well worth the pitiful amount that's asked for the disc these days.

Now, if only they'd get round to releasing the extended TV version of Waterworld aswell, I'd be well happy.

9. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well maybe I was wrong to judge it to quickly then, 5.99 might be worth it.

10. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What are Play up to by advertising a SE released in September ? I've done a search and found nothing at all about a new release of Dune, but Play appear to be happy to take £14.99 off us for a supposed release in just over 1 months time. Surely they are jumping the gun here.

I wonder if they will take the 'TV Edition' out of print once this new release hits the shops. Seeing as it is onlt £5.99 I think I'll snatch up a copy now.

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    I'd imagine the UK distributor has advised them they intend to release on the date Play have posted on their site.

It's the first I've heard of a new/re-release of Dune, but Play aren't going to charge you until they ship the disc, so if it doesn't come out you don't get charged for it. Even if the disc does come out, I'd imagine the only difference with the old release would be an anamorphic transfer, which personally wouldn't warrant me buying the film again. Lynch doesn't believe in commentaries or anything much else in the way of bonus material, and he's none too keen on what was left of his 5 hour epic once the studio got their hands on it either, so even if there are any extras (which I'd doubt, but you can always hope) I wouldn't expect any involvement from Lynch in the production of an SE.

Not a bad idea. The same disc (but NTSC) used to cost around £30 from Japan until the UK release. Hard to imagine you find this in bargain bins for a couple of quid these days

12. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Actually, there have been specs and confirmations (ages ago admittedly) about the Dune special edition. I even read something saying that they were including bits and bobs from the US boxed set laserdisc release. However (and more worryingly), I also read that the release was not to be digitally re-mastered (sound or picture). This was all some time ago (about the same time as the news RE pre-legal fiasco Blade Runner SE DVD) - but I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn up out of the blue.

13. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If they are not going to re-master the picture or sound then it makes you wonder why they are bothering. Sounds like they are just going to re-package it and bung on a few 'featurettes'.

14. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +966
    Just for information :

The original film was cut by over 35 minutes before cinema release, and the DVD version is a faithful cinema version. The TV version is the original film version with the 35 minutues restored, but with the violence cut out and a pretty poor master. As the film follows the book very faithfully, the cut sections are quite important for understandign the Dune saga, but when a film gets poor screening reviews, its typically edited down and mass released to get as much cash back as fast as possible.

I wait in hope that a re-mastered version of the original cut will make it out to DVD.

Tony

15. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your all obviously all Dune fans - so what did you think of the Sci-fan channel production of Dune and Children of Dune ?

It was good that they had a much longer running time and therefore they could keep much more faithful to the books. One major thing that put me off in the first series though was the guy who played Gurney (at least I think his character was called Gurney - it was the character played by Patrick Stewart in the David Lynch version). I thought that his acting was so bad I was cringing at every scene he was in !

I thought the production in Children of Dune was great. I love the way that every scence has its own 'colour'. It's quite a subtle effect, but if you look out for it when you watch it you'll see what I mean. I got the R1 version from play.com, but I bet there will be a SE edition to superceed it soon.

16. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has it got any good extra's ?

17. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What are those ?

18. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or is it maybe a nice box ?

19. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you want to find out if it has any extras I could always lend you my copy - but then again your dvd player aint multi region so you might have a bit of diffuculty.

20. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I suppose it could be a variation of the Geman 'Paradise' edition...

Anamorphic version of the Theatrical Version

The TV Extended Version

A third CD of extras.

The price seems a little low for that lot though !