Dune HDTV101 v WD TV LIve

MarkE19

If only it was as easy as that :suicide:

Both have advantages, the biggest for the WDTV being its lower price. But it can't passthrough DTS HD-MA AFAIK but the TV101 can.

Mark.

dnel

Standard Member
I would also like to understand the difference between the WDTV Live and the DuneHD 101.

The 101AW is £110 with wireless so £30 more than the WDTV Live with a similar hardware spec as far as I can tell.

I'll be streaming off my home server/NAS, DTS pass-through isn't important to me as my amp is stereo but are there any other key differences?

FWIW I don't mind modding the device to get features, in fact I find it hard stopping myself :)

jetsetjimbo

dave111 said:
Thanks,
Which is more wife/kids friendly.

You can run Zapatti or my movies to create a nice video wall interface to use on the Dunes. Not sure if the WD supports anything like that?

MarkE19

The WDTV Live SMP does have a video wall built into the firmware, but the older version does not unless you run the B-Rad user written firmware.
AFAIK (ie I've never owned or even used a WDTV Live) the video wall is not easily customisable to change the way it looks & behaves, and IIRC you can't use it with streamed media unless you create the cover art via a PC.

For the Dune players there are at least half a dozen different media wall programs you can use to get it looking as you want it. The only real downside once it has been created is that the Dunbe wont load it automatically on startup - you need to navigate to the video wall and manually run it each time. However Dune will hopefully be adding a video wall to the firmware at some point in the not too distant future.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom