Dune HD Smart H1 Owners Thread

DrGekko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Thought I'd start a threat dedicated specifically to the Dune HD Smart H1.

I wanted to avoid praise/reviews etc. and thought it would be useful for owners to highlight issues and offer solutions based on their experience.

Last edited:
IIRC some BluRays require BD-Live to still work for them to play and by default AnyDVD HD disables BD-Live. So it may be worth reripping the BD with it still enabled to see if that works.
Also do you have system storage enabled on the H1? This is required for BD-Live.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply - I've PM'd you regarding Any HD DVD settings as it's not part of this thread but in answer to your other suggestion, yes, system storage enabled. Your theory does make sense... didn't realise this was the case. Will give it a bash.

Also some rips will have problems unless you clear the system storage. Some old entries in there can sometime prevent the playback for some strange reason, but once cleared they play fine.

Mark.

Also some rips will have problems unless you clear the system storage. Some old entries in there can sometime prevent the playback for some strange reason, but once cleared they play fine.

Mark.

How do you clear system storage please? Menu settings on Dune?

How do you clear system storage please? Menu settings on Dune?
Yes - Setup > Miscellaneous > System Storage > Clear System Storage

Mark.

I've never ever used BD Live on a disc. And I never want to! When will the studios learn?

Perhaps when everything is streamed off the web, then interactive stuff will be useful and fun but so far, I just want to keep off the grid. I hate the big-brother feeling.

IIRC some BluRays require BD-Live to still work for them to play and by default AnyDVD HD disables BD-Live. So it may be worth reripping the BD with it still enabled to see if that works.
Also do you have system storage enabled on the H1? This is required for BD-Live.

Mark.

Out of interest, I ripped the disc again with BD Live enabled and when I tried playing the iso file via TMT3, it behaved in exactly the same manner - took ages to load up the main menu. This is different from every other title I've tried which loads up pretty instantly. Anyway, will empty the storage tonight on the Dune and test it.

Hi.

Just an update regarding intermittent audio loss and picture stutter which was occurring initially - since Graham advised me to select "SMB - fast access enabled", this completely resolved the matter and I've had no playback problems since - super smooth in full HD-Audio glory!

Hi all,

I am scanning forums back and forth and this seems like it does what I need - store DVDs for play back!

This is new to me though and I'm not sure what I would need.

Am I correct thinking this is an empty case and I need to get an hdd to go in?

If so do I have to install it into a pc first to copy the DVDs onto it? I assume that I would also have to put on some software for the dune to understand and navigate - then remove from pc and plug into dune.

Or have I over complicated that?

Hi,

The Dune HS Smart H1 is a streaming device to play all your media files and is primarily designed to play HD content and allows licensed bitstreaming of HD audio.

This particular unit doesn't have any storage but its big brother does. Best person to ask is Graham who sells these in the UK: Dune HD Media Players - Items - Custom built Home Theatre PCs from my-HTPC

He's very approachable and should guide you to set up what you need.

In my specific case, I have all my movies stored on Buffalo Linkstations - these are connected via short ethernet snatch cables to my router - and this is connected to the Dune streaming device via Cat 5e cable. My PC has yaDIS installed for titles & cover are interface which is then "exported" to the Dune streamer.

More of that here: yaDIS 2 - Discussion thread - MPC Club Community Board

Good luck!

Am I correct thinking this is an empty case and I need to get an hdd to go in?
Correct, or just share the files from your PC and stream them across your home network - with the current prices of HDD's you want to avoid buying them at the moment if you can.
If so do I have to install it into a pc first to copy the DVDs onto it? I assume that I would also have to put on some software for the dune to understand and navigate - then remove from pc and plug into dune.
Copying them across the network to a HDD inside the Dune is possible, but slow. So yes you can just pop the HDD into the PC and copy the media onto it. Then put it in the Dune and connect to TV.
Another option is to install it in the Dune and then connect the player to PC via USB. This should be quicker than copying across the network and less hassle than installing it in the PC first.
No software is required to connect the Dune to the PC via USB or across the network - all the requirements are in the Dune firmware already.
This particular unit doesn't have any storage but its big brother does.
None of the Dune media players are supplied with a HDD - although the likes of Graham will install one for you, but at extra cost.
Best person to ask is Graham who sells these in the UK: Dune HD Media Players - Items - Custom built Home Theatre PCs from my-HTPC

He's very approachable and should guide you to set up what you need.
Yep a good retailer and also a member of the forum so you can ask him questions on here - his username is graham.myers

Mark.

Thanks for the advice - was confusing myself over which I would need. I could tell one had a Blu ray drive but the other main ones looked similar - and then there was a bunch of expansion modules.

Will have a chat and see what I need. I don't really want the pc on each time so internal storage will be the way for me. Not fussed about streaming it.

Well the Smart B1 has the BluRay drive and no room for an internal HDD. To add one to this player would require the HE extension module.
The Smart H1 has a hot swap HDD bay so you can swap the HDD easily, or remove it to connect to the PC.
The Smart D1 has a display and you need to remove the lid to install a HDD. A bit of hassle if you want to remove it to update the media stored on the HDD.

Mark.

Anyone that uses these - how do you rip your DVD's?

I'm having a nightmare using makeMKV - Files playback and stutter and audio comes in and out of sync on every rip I've made.

I've ripped a few using DVD Shrink - full backup no compression. Will the Dune HD H1 play these with full menu support?

Anyone that uses these - how do you rip your DVD's?

I'm having a nightmare using makeMKV - Files playback and stutter and audio comes in and out of sync on every rip I've made.

I've ripped a few using DVD Shrink - full backup no compression. Will the Dune HD H1 play these with full menu support?

Yes I have used Shrink for years. I rip uncompressed ISOs and my Dune plays them perfectly.

(I "invested" in Slysoft's Any DVD HD lifetime purchase last year...I've only used it about three times to rip Blu Ray ISOs. The Dune handles these perfectly too).

Interestingly though, I got a WDTV Live (new version) this week. And I have to say that for my purposes, with the exception of blu ray menu support, the WDTV seems better in just about every respect!

Yes I have used Shrink for years. I rip uncompressed ISOs and my Dune plays them perfectly.

(I "invested" in Slysoft's Any DVD HD lifetime purchase last year...I've only used it about three times to rip Blu Ray ISOs. The Dune handles these perfectly too).

Interestingly though, I got a WDTV Live (new version) this week. And I have to say that for my purposes, with the exception of blu ray menu support, the WDTV seems better in just about every respect!

Thanks!!

Why is the WDTV better?

I did buy a Cyclone Primus HD but sent it back as it wasn't really what I was after. Im mainly looking for something to store all my DVD rips on for ease of access is the Dune not what I'm looking for?

Last edited:
The WDTV Live has a few features that are currently missing from the Dune firmware such as a built-in media wall - although a PC program makes up for this. I've not used a WDTV but for me the streaming of both DVD & BluRay has been perfect and I have seen others that have upgraded from a WDTV to a Dune and said it was money well spent. Everybody has different expectations & requirements for a media player and so it is hard to state as fact which will suite you best.

Mark.

Why is the WDTV better?

Much slicker and faster. Also...and I'm not very tecchie on this...the way it just grabs movie data from the net (through built in wifi) without having to connect to a PC or download all sorts of little programmes is very impressive indeed. (Is that the "media wall" MarkE19 refers to?)

I've no doubt the Dune is considerably more capable (there's a gazillion settings I have never touched!) but as plug and play goes ther WDTV is very impressive. It's about £100 cheaper too. The Dune is clearly the enthusiast's choice.

Is that the "media wall" MarkE19 refers to?
The media wall I use on my Dune is Zappiti which displays the DVD/BD cover art instead of just a boring list of folder & files. I believe the new WDTV Live has trhis built-in, but the older version didn't without using the B-Rad firmware
I've no doubt the Dune is considerably more capable (there's a gazillion settings I have never touched!) but as plug and play goes ther WDTV is very impressive.
Yes I agree that WD have done a great job of making a media player accessable to joe public - all the other makes should sit up and take note on this.
It's about £100 cheaper too. The Dune is clearly the enthusiast's choice.
Depends on the model. IIRC the new WDTV Live is about £90 and the new Dune TV101 is only £100 so there are cheaper options. Yes I know this is a Smart H1 thread but.......:p

Mark.

The media wall I use on my Dune is Zappiti which displays the DVD/BD cover art instead of just a boring list of folder & files. I believe the new WDTV Live has trhis built-in, but the older version didn't without using the B-Rad firmware
I did try Zappiti briefly...but frankly couldn't be bothered with the effort. What I also didn't like was the way you are just presented with a wall of DVD case covers - which you can't read at a distance and results in far too many pages if you have a lot of files. The WD has the best of both worlds - the titles in a list format, but a small image pops up as you roll over it. Very neat.

IIRC the new WDTV Live is about £90 and the new Dune TV101 is only £100 so there are cheaper options. Yes I know this is a Smart H1 thread but.......:p
I picked up the WD for £79. If the Dune TV101 supported full Blu Ray menus, I may have been tempted to spend the extra but alas it doesn't.

Whatever though, I was boring my kids this afternoon, recalling my memories of Betamax (Yes! We had Betamax!). It's quite incredible what you can get for so little money these days.

Hi Keiron

Maybe off topic a bit but does that any DVD hd allow you to rip a 35gig image or higher and compress down to fit on a 25gig disc ? Struggling to find a program fab DVD does not do it or a least I can't get it to :(

Thanks

Warren

Maybe off topic a bit but does that any DVD hd allow you to rip a 35gig image or higher and compress down to fit on a 25gig disc ? Struggling to find a program fab DVD does not do it or a least I can't get it to :(

I've just looked at the settings and I think the answer is No (check on the website). It's just for ripping. I'm sure there must be some readily available free software around to do that for you?

I've just looked at the settings and I think the answer is No (check on the website). It's just for ripping. I'm sure there must be some readily available free software around to do that for you?

Yep will have a look thanks

Hoped for a bluray shrink by now

I did try Zappiti briefly...but frankly couldn't be bothered with the effort.
Effort? IIRC it took me less than 5 minutes to set it up. Once installed I just pointed it at my media on my server and it went off and started scraping the details. So no real effort to get setup IMO
What I also didn't like was the way you are just presented with a wall of DVD case covers - which you can't read at a distance and results in far too many pages if you have a lot of files. The WD has the best of both worlds - the titles in a list format, but a small image pops up as you roll over it. Very neat.
Well a view of the DVD covers is exactly what I did want. It is also going to be the easiest way for young children to find the disc they want to play as reading the details is not easy for them. But I guess we all have differing ideas as to what we want - it is why there are so many choices available.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom