Dune HD Smart B1 Thread

Krank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't see another thread for this so thought one may be useful but time will tell :D

All seems to be rosy at the moment but wondered if anyone had a problem with pausing a blu-ray (not tried a DVD). When I pause a blu-ray disc on a few occasions it will not resume, I press play and nothing happens. A few minutes late the picture will move on a couple of frames and that's it. The B1 is unresponsive to any commands (power off etc.) and I need to switch it off/on at the back to resume the film.

Try clearing the cache, that sometimes helps with playback issues. Also have you got a memory stick for system storage? again that sometimes helps as it can use a bigger cache

Never thought about using a memory stick. Could I use the one I got from you for the 101 and swap between the two units or is it best to have one for each?

I don't think you can swap the USB flash drive between players without reanitalising it each time. When you initalise it files get copied from the Dune to the flash drive and settings are set by the firmware. Also any shortcuts you create will not work on the other player, so IMO just spend a couple of quid on another flash drive and save yourself the hassle of having to remember to swap it from one player to the other.

from Dune Firmware Zone / System Storage
System Storage is a dedicated storage device (typically a 2GB+ USB Flash Drive), permantently attached to the player and configured in a special way.

Mark.

I'll go and order another one from Mr. Myers then. I wonder what they mean by "...configured in a special way"? :eek: :laugh:

When I pause a blu-ray disc on a few occasions it will not resume, I press play and nothing happens.
Are the discs this happens with Universal BD's?
If they are then this is apparently the way they are authored and to get them to resume you need to press the 'Enter' key instead of 'Play' :rolleyes:

Mark.

MarkE19 said:
Are the discs this happens with Universal BD's?
If they are then this is apparently the way they are authored and to get them to resume you need to press the 'Enter' key instead of 'Play' :rolleyes:

Mark.

It happens with all discs when they've been 'paused' for a few minutes. It's ok if it's paused for a few seconds.

I'll see if a memory stick solves the problem.

I've decided to upgrade/downgrade/crossgrade from my Smart D1 to a B1 and NAS. Finances are tight at the moment so I was going to go for the Freecom Silverstore. Any views?
Plus I'd like to sell my D1. Aside from eBay does anyone recommend anywhere else?

if you need the BD drive why not just add the BE module?
That would also be my suggestion.
As finances are tight you can use the D1 as your NAS and the BE as the BluRay player - this has a total cost of ~£140.
I would guess you would sell the D1 for around £100, so then getting the B1 you will already have spent another £140 and still need to buy a NAS.

Mark.

I'm looking at getting a NAS to eventually max it out to 6gb, something i can't to with the D1. I'd also be the NAS to function as a Time Machine for my mac. I'm out to minimise the amount of black boxes I have (I also have an HE I want to get rid of!)
The D1 is in excellent condition and I haven't had one problem with it. It's just coming up for 1 year old. I purchased it from KJ Global.
Any views on the Silverstore?

If you have a D1 & HE then you could put a 3Tb HDD in each to give you the 6Tb of storage you want, then add a BE to also give you the BluRay player.
IMO this will give you all you have said you want and still be a lot cheaper than selling everything and getting a B1 and NAS.

Mark.

A quick update: It looks like the memory stick has stopped my B1 from freezing up so cheers for the advice.

Does the blu-ray use system storage or flash memory for cache?

I take it this will play blu rays through component and downmix their tracks for analogue rca audio without any foreseeable problems?

since getting a max I moved a pch into another room replacing an xbox but am now already thinking of replacing it with either a b1, h1 or 301 so I only have to keep one jukebox upto date as it will mainly be used for streaming from a nas so just not sure if it would be worth it to have a blu ray drive their just encase

Last edited:
Re: my NAS dilemma.
I think I've elected to take the advice of the forum and throw a 3tb in my D1 and HE. I just need to wait for HDD prices to fall now.
On another topic, I tried connecting a Lite-On external Blu-Ray drive to my D1 and got the security violation warning. Do you have to use the BE for BD playback with the smarts or is there something wrong with my system? It plays DVDs fine.

On another topic, I tried connecting a Lite-On external Blu-Ray drive to my D1 and got the security violation warning. Do you have to use the BE for BD playback with the smarts or is there something wrong with my system? It plays DVDs fine.

oooh, thats interesting, had beeen looking at one of them for the laptop....... does the error just come up with blu rays then and will it play data dvd's ok (ie pictures, videos etc)

It plays Blu-Rays fine through computers, just not through the D1.

AFAIK only the B1 or BE will play a BluRay disc that has copy protection on it. But any USB/eSATA BD drive should play unprotected discs fine when connected to any Smart player.

Mark.

AFAIK only the B1 or BE will play a BluRay disc that has copy protection on it. But any USB/eSATA BD drive should play unprotected discs fine when connected to any Smart player.

Mark.

cheers Mark, thats what I was briefly thinking about doing with a H1 as it will be used mainly for streaming from a nas and the disc drive most likely used now and again for pictures on cd and dvd...... but for tidiness sake decided to go with the B1 and will put off getting a BR drive for the laptop for another wee while

Any news on the upcoming B2? Will there be any changes other than the chipset?

hi all,
can anyone give an idea of what the dune bluray playback/audio compares like to a couple of years old bluray deck?.....playback would be via hdmi into a yamaha 2067

...i've a sony 550 ...well actually 2.....which was a 200 odd quid player and had good reiviews and am still happy with but a all in one solution does appeal

cheers.

i know slow load times have been mentioned but again i dont if that would be any worse than my sonys?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom