Dune HD Smart B1 Thread

For ref. I previously had a Sony S500 and now have an Oppo 93EU and am comparing to a Dune Prime 3.0 - all connected via HDMI to plasma and AV system via 5.1 analogue audio.

IMO the Dune is at least as good if not bettter for audio even though the Dune does not offer any bass management via analolgue audio outs that IIRC the Sony did have. The Oppo is better, but this may just be due to the bass management.
From what I remember disc load (and even boot from power down) times are a lot quicker on the Dune compared to the Sony, but a bit slower than the Oppo.

Mark.

thanks...... thats interesting and food for thought....used to use analogues but after getting my yammy its hdmi all the way

i'll assume the picture side of things is on par as well?

cheers

Yeh picture wise I can't see any real difference between any media players/blray players with good quality HD media - but then again I'm registered partially sighted so not the best person to answer this part of your post :cool:

Mark.

I think I was a little premature thinking my 'pause' problem was a thing of the past as it's still there. I've got my memory stick in situ with storage memory and flash memory partition so are there any other suggestions? Has anyone else experienced a similar issue when a disc is paused for a long time (10 mins?). Only thing that fixes it is turning it off/on.

Of no help to you, but i'm also getting problems with bluray play back get a lot of audio drop outs, fine from network playback of the same film.

I think I was a little premature thinking my 'pause' problem was a thing of the past as it's still there. I've got my memory stick in situ with storage memory and flash memory partition so are there any other suggestions? Has anyone else experienced a similar issue when a disc is paused for a long time (10 mins?). Only thing that fixes it is turning it off/on.

have never had one in pause for quite as long as that before and although not exactly the same but if I pause mine and switch the amp input to something else then back again it's froze as you describe..... not something I would normally do but found that out when I remembered I'd to set something to record on sky

graham.myers said:
have you tried the latest beta? They have re-written the engine so it may improve things.

I thought it already had the latest firmware as it hasn't 'found' any new firmware despite having the beta option open. Anyway, it didn't and I've now installed the latest beta and the pause problem has definitely gone now. Thanks Graham.

when a beta comes out, its available on the firmware page first. It doesn't immediately go into the area where the auto checker can see it and it can be a while before it appears.

I've just had the same problem as Krank, paused a bluray of Sleeping Beauty for about 10-15 minutes, failed to resume on either play or enter, had to turn the dune off.
I'm also getting more and more audio problems when playing disks, so much so i'm now fearing for my speakers.
I'm getting what i can only describe as a spike which results in a very sharp bang out of all front 3 speakers, seams like the optical drive will need to be replaced i think, ripped media is fine :(

I'm still getting the pause problem as it's just happened while watching Evangelion 1.11 I had the occasional audio drop out too.

It seems a little temperamental as it worked ok on a Criterion disc I had issues with before the update but not on this one. My initial thought is it could be overheating but it's well ventilated so probably not. I may have to get used to it as it's only a minor niggle.

Have you had any joy with the 'freezing' issue Rich? Still a problem for me but can't work out why it's happening.

Have you had any joy with the 'freezing' issue Rich? Still a problem for me but can't work out why it's happening.

No not yet, i've taken to not watching disks at the moment as it's unusable in it's current state.
Generally if i know i'm going to pause for a while i'll just completly stop the playback and resume when required

Couple of questions about the D1, but I guess that it's fundamentally the same as the H1:

Do I need to format a USB memory drive before I install it internally? I fitted one with a couple of files already on it, and the player won't format it as storage.

I didn't realise that the Dune would play DVD iso rips as well as mkv. Is there any advantage in using one format over the other? Files are held on a server, access using SMB.

if you dont format it, it will have "cant access" written across it on the initial screen. Selecting it will popup a format request. Once that is done go into setup and choose system storage

mkv will be smaller as it is just the film and soundtrack usually. ISO rips give you the full DVD experience - menus, subtitles, extras, multiple languages etc

I can access the memory drive from the sources menu, and see the files that are on it, so it's working.
If I go into the system storage menu, and select initialise system storage, it tells me that there is no suitable empty storage found.
The information screen also says system storage not attached.

Another thing - how do I change the weather location on the menu screen to be where I actually live, rather than Bradford on Avon?

I can access the memory drive from the sources menu, and see the files that are on it, so it's working.
If I go into the system storage menu, and select initialise system storage, it tells me that there is no suitable empty storage found.
The information screen also says system storage not attached.
The Dune will only use empty storage partition as System Storage. So to use the USB flash drive you would need to delete all the files on it first before you can initalise it.
Another thing - how do I change the weather location on the menu screen to be where I actually live, rather than Bradford on Avon?
Setup > Application > Widget

Mark.

The widget thing worked, so that's one less "problem".

Still can't get the USB storage to work. I deleted the files on the Dune, then tried to initialise storage - still displayed "storage not attached".
I removed the memory drive and formatted it on my iMac (FAT) - still the same. Searching the Dune FAQs suggested that the easiest way to enable storage was to upgrade the firmware, so I'm trying that now.......

...and it didn't work.

I've tried another USB memory drive on an external USB port, and that doesn't work as system storage either - "not connected" displayed when I try and initialise it.

Am I trying to do something that isn't necessary/possible?

Just tried a third USB drive. I deleted all the files on my iMac, then connected it to a rear USB port, with no other USB devices connected. Ran the firmware upgrade, and got the message "no system storage attached" at the start. Let the upgrade run, and still can't initialise system storage - no storage attached.

I can see the USB memory as USB storage in the sources list, but I can't initialise it as system storage! I wonder if this feature actually works with the latest firmware? Have Dune broken something?

Last attempt - I'll try "upgrading" to an earlier firmware...

...and still no luck!!!

Last edited:
Sorted!

Was missing out a vital step - formatting the USB stick from the sources menu.

From the sources list, highlight the "USB Storage" item, and press the "info" button on the remote. This brings up a list of options. Select "format", and wait for it to finish. Then go into the setup/miscellaneous/system storage menu, and initialise system storage.
Once this is done, it works, and doesn't appear in the sources list.

Which is what I said :)

Now that I've done it, I can see that's what you meant. Pressing the "info" button to bring up the format option wasn't obvious to a Dune newbie.

I've now changed my USB storage device and gone onto the latest beta firmware, not had any audio problems with plaing from disk.
The kids were watching Bee Movie yesterday and there was no dropouts or glitches.
We had to pause if for a while as they had lunch and it took ages to continue playing again, i thought the payer had locked up but then it started picking up all my keystokes from the remote.
One thing i have noticed is though if your watching a disk and want to skip to much later in the film it reallt dosen't like it, i pressed skip chapter about 6 times and the playback never recovered, just went into slow motion with no audio output.

Glad the audio problem has gone for now though :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom